• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Online tailored shirts

sabvinnie

Reaction score
I am a first time poster but long time reader...

I am looking for an online tailored shirt company - there are no good tailors in my city and I have heard there are a growing number of them out there online but I have no idea where to start.

I am looking to spend between $100 - $150 as long as the quality and most importantly the turnaround time are good.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From personal experience: mytailor.com.

online shirt tailor suit mytailor.com

uluvbs

Reaction score
2nd that rec.

One with nice fabric will run you about $125. I would see one of their tailors when one comes to visit nearby, and wear a shirt you like, so you can present a better idea of how you want your new one to look. I'd also review their cuff and collar styles in advance.

dibenetto

Reaction score
well mytailor might be nice but i use better fabric and charge less....how's that?
fine i don't have 30 years experience and that busy ugly website....
but my guys are more than happy and i prefer my clean simple website to his....

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dibenetto
well mytailor might be nice but i use better fabric and charge less....how's that? fine i don't have 30 years experience and that busy ugly website.... but my guys are more than happy and i prefer my clean simple website to his....
wait, what? do you sell shirts online too? i'm confused or drunk.

sabvinnie

Reaction score
Cheers for the advice.

I will check out the site - what is your site Dibenetto?

I was also referred by someone today to www.nialma.com - seemed pretty good when I had a brief look...user friendly etc

Went to tailoredshirts.com and it is a horrible site - had no idea what to do.

Will let you know what I decide.

Cheers

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sabvinnie
I was also referred by someone today to www.nialma.com - seemed pretty good when I had a brief look...user friendly etc

This site looks pretty spiffy. Does anyone know anything about this company?

sonlegoman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
anyone tried these guys: http://www.hillhousetailors.com/ ? They have an option where you can send in one of your own shirts, they'll make measurements off that and then duplicate the shirt with your choice of fabrics, collar choices, etc. I was thinking about going with them but I am afraid. I like the way the shirts from WW Chan fit me and their fabric matching is very good. I really don't know how well Hillhouse Tailors will match fabric patterns. Actually, I just looked through their fabric selection and it isn't great. I was thinking about just sending them a WW Chan shirt and having them replicate the WW Chan fit.

coogie

Reaction score
My friend recommended me to tailoredshirts dot com and i did not like the shirt material at all. It also took longer than expected with import VAT problems.

I'm going to try the nialma site, their prices are not bad. Although i've never heard of them before

Tumbleweed

Reaction score
+1 on mytailor.com. Your $100-150 price range will get you the Thomas Mason fabrics, which are great.

sabvinnie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Philosoph
This site looks pretty spiffy. Does anyone know anything about this company?
I am new to this but the guy who referred me says nialma.com has not been around for long and is based out of HK...I have actually gone ahead and placed an order with them (must say it was very easy) and will let you know what the results are.

Turnaround time is supposed to be fast - we'll soon see...

dibenetto

Reaction score
im sorry didnt realise the thread went one and actually in pretty interesting ways:

just to some facts : 80% or more of serious online custom shirts business is based in hong kong (as manufacturing, cuz a webmaster can be anywhere)
for many reasons but let say the obvious
1)they have the workfoce and knowledge and big production capacity
2)its cheap in price not in quality
3)because so many tailors are based in hong kong all the trades revolving around it are also available in hong kong for many years and competition is stiff keeping prices low and reasonable
4)many people use to travel specifically to hong kong and take advantage of a business trip to renew their wardrobe so its only natural that the online websites will follow the makers and not the other way around....

now i see someone brought up tailoredshirts.com i actually know the owner a great guy italian,young,hard working he will go far but ......
i totally agree about the website look it could be better but still it is not the make or break in this business.........
second;their fabric may not be very large in choice....or designs, BUT they actually have a great relationship with MONTI and use their I DOGI line which i confirm is excellent is quality at least....they also happen to be as far as i know one of 2 tailoring house where u can get their fabrics........being that MONTI rarely sells small quantite of cottons.
(anybody claiming otherwise is or lying,selling you fake copy fabric from japan or india or was lucky to grab some extra fabric from a mass production)
in any case the other website reported here was new to me so i cannot judge but their prices seemed a little steep and no details was given on their fabrics........
the engine is pretty well designed....curious about the results....
as for my own website coming online at the end of this month hopefully it is called www.bensonandbrown.com and i will formally introduce it when it is online and kicking and i will make sure to let all of styleforum know about it
in the meantime there is GREAT competition to my taste but in EURO (!!) and at crazy prices but really their site is beautiful check it out:http://www.filharmonie.com/ it is the french version (which is the most beautiful and up to date but it is of course available in english)
im trying as much to be as good if not better in design cheaper in price and my service will be more style consultant than webmaster: unrivaled

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonlegoman
anyone tried these guys: http://www.hillhousetailors.com/ ?

They have an option where you can send in one of your own shirts, they'll make measurements off that and then duplicate the shirt with your choice of fabrics, collar choices, etc. I was thinking about going with them but I am afraid.

I like the way the shirts from WW Chan fit me and their fabric matching is very good. I really don't know how well Hillhouse Tailors will match fabric patterns. Actually, I just looked through their fabric selection and it isn't great.

I was thinking about just sending them a WW Chan shirt and having them replicate the WW Chan fit.

If you are happy with chan, why do you feel the need to try someone else?

they have your pattern and the shirt fits!! Doesn't anyone have any loyalty?

Carl

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
dibenetto

Monti, like everyone else in Europe want business. Why do you think they have a partnership in India for weaving and pprooducing shirts?

Moni will not ship shirt lengths, but I know in North America you can buy cut lengths from Shirtex of Canada.

Carl

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads