• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recall I had a fitting and delivery from Maison Bonnet the same day. But mine are acetate not tortoise. I also returned to get new lenses and that took 2-3 days.
Mine are also acetate. They should already have my lenses since I sent them my prescription a few months ago so hopefully not too much longer.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
I recall I had a fitting and delivery from Maison Bonnet the same day. But mine are acetate not tortoise. I also returned to get new lenses and that took 2-3 days.
Are they still making custom tortoise shell glasses? I would be nervous as hell trying to wear them to get back into the States. A lot of money to gamble.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are they still making custom tortoise shell glasses? I would be nervous as hell trying to wear them to get back into the States. A lot of money to gamble.

It didn’t see to be a problem for Fran Lebowitz. In this interview she said she had tortoise shell frames that cost as much as a car. So probably Maison bonnet tortoise shell.

dapperdesertdweller

Reaction score
From my understanding it’s not illegal to own or make tortoiseshell items with but it is quite illegal to import or export tortoiseshell, via CITES. I should edit this to say that PRE-1972 tortoiseshell shell made items (the year the ban was enacted) are exempt, but one would need all but certain proof that the tortoiseshell was harvested pre-convention. This information comes from my interest in vintage guitars & guitar picks btw.

Last edited:

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
From my understanding it’s not illegal to own or make tortoiseshell items with but it is quite illegal to import or export tortoiseshell, via CITES. I should edit this to say that PRE-1972 tortoiseshell shell made items (the year the ban was enacted) are exempt, but one would need all but certain proof that the tortoiseshell was harvested pre-convention. This information comes from my interest in vintage guitars & guitar picks btw.
Thanks for typing all of this so I didn't have to lol.

I did a good bit of research on tortoise shell years ago when I thought about buying frames. It's still possible and not objectively illegal, as dapper explains, but I heard multiple horror stories of over-aggressive customs agents or postal inspectors not really interested in "the paperwork." It was enough to convince me that horn frames are just fine.

Of course, because I'm a StyFoDude, I never ended up ordering either, but that's never really the point is it?

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m never going to order tortoise shell because I’m not rich enough. I’m just going with acetate for now and maybe later on upgrade to horn.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

“excuse me sir, do you mind if we inspect your eyeglasses. We believe they might be genuine tortoiseshell.”

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thinking about summer suit fabrics. I have a cotton seersucker suit and love it, even though it gets a bit sloppy after a while, so I'm thinking of navy wool seersucker, cream wool seersucker, or tan gabardine, all around 280g/10oz. Anyone have experience with these?

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can’t find the fabric code now (had it bookmarked, but link doesn’t seem to work anymore)

I did a single breasted suit in navy on navy all wool seersucker from Drapers. I love it….. it holds a crease like wool, but feels light and airy… like. Uhh seersucker.

If I could find more of this, or the wool/silk variation, I might do a DB in similar fabric…..

Edited. Removed pic. I don’t think that’s my navy seersucker suit. I’ll see if I can find a definitive pic.

Attachments

• 1676150964092.jpeg
    1676150964092.jpeg
    160.5 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can’t find the fabric code now (had it bookmarked, but link doesn’t seem to work anymore)

I did a single breasted suit in navy on navy all wool seersucker from Drapers. I love it….. it holds a crease like wool, but feels light and airy… like. Uhh seersucker.

If I could find more of this, or the wool/silk variation, I might do a DB in similar fabric…..

Edited. Removed pic. I don’t think that’s my navy seersucker suit. I’ll see if I can find a definitive pic.
They moved it under the VBC umbrella out of the Drapers branding. It’s in the Montecarlo bunch - In the old bunch it was in Drapers Jacket and Solaire. It’s about that weight.

The only other wool seersucker I can think of is Tallia Delfino which is also 280 and 17.5 micron.

Loro Piana has their wool/silk that I have being made for a fitting in March but that’s 190gms I think?

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@UrbanComposition you have a ivory linen db, right? Seems like navy seersucker might offer some variety. I have to admit I don't have my arms around how broad the offerings are out there for wool seersuckers beyond navy
That's true: I don't have a summer navy suit, and I think this might be the one. Salvo's coming in a week or so and am going to order this for Pitti.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads