• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

One week trip to Japan

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
If one can swing data roaming, all the better. The maps and internet access will save your life. I need the maps and the instant webpage access like everyone else just to get around, and I live in Tokyo.

If you have a lot of time but little spending money, simply doing long walks around the city, including residential neighborhoods, can be fulfilling. There is tons of interesting residential design and occasional gems in the various neighborhoods that satelleite outwards from Shibuya.

If you can swing a little spending money on souvenirs, do so. But I'd rather prioritize food in Tokyo over sacrificing a range of food and eating only lowbrow stuff in order to cop goods. Tokyo is about food these days. Not everything is great, but there are a lot of amazing restaurants and dining experiences. Not all are expensive, and there is tons of quality to be had.

djblisk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank god, I found this thread!!!

Gonna be there at the end of April.

2 nights in tokyo the 1 night in Hakoke at a Royuken and the back to Tokyo for 4 nights.

Keep the food recommendations coming!

Should I just stay in Shinjuku the first 2 nights?

t3hg0suazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bumping this thread because it's been really useful for me.

I'll be in Tokyo for a few days starting this weekend and I'd appreciate some Tokyo restaurant recs, mostly these "good value" Michellin star (or equivalent) places for lunch. Mostly looking for Japanese or neo-French. I've been in Kansai region for a bit now, so I've tried a lot of street/fast Japanese food - not a big fan of tonkatsu. Haven't had ramen that I found better than NYC ramen yet though.

Also want to try A5 Wagyu beef somewhere, but don't know what's the best form to try it in / where -- A511 seems to have a lot of buzz, so that'd be backup for dinner if there isn't a [cheaper] lunch option. Found this cheap wagyu place for lunch, duno how it is: http://tokyopigout.blogspot.jp/2012/02/matsurokuya-in-roppongi-japanese.html
Some sites also mention Satou House which is a bit further west, but near AL select which might be worth a visit.

Any good Yakiniku places? How much does meat quality matter for yakiniku?

Planning to go to Tsukiji for sushi for sure, but more sushi can never hurt.

Cheers guys.

djblisk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I follow Kalidiing on instagram. he is in japan right now. pics look great. follow and ask.

t3hg0suazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
do you know how their lunch compares with dinner? lunch seems good value but duno what they skip. I also feel like some kaisekis emphasize presentation at the expense of taste, which id like to avoid

do you know about lunch at Edition Koji Shimomura? base lunch menu is only around 5000 but I saw a menu and it looked like the good meats cost a lot extra

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bumping this thread as I just booked a week in Tokyo the last week of October at Sunroute Plaza right near Shinjuku station (might consider cutting Tokyo short and doing 2 nights in a Kyoto Ryokan).

So far on my food to-try list I have...
  • A sushi stand in Tsukiji (e.g. Daiwa Sushi and Sushi Dai; are other ones worth checking out to bypass the lineup?)
  • a high end sushi place (e.g. Yasuda; I assume Jiro is probably way overbooked)
  • Rokurinsha Tsukemen
  • A higher-end michelin place (e.g. Robuchon etc.) for lunch when its cheaper

And just izakaya-hopping in the evenings... Not so much into cocktails but gonna see if there's a craft beer scene there.

For shopping, perhaps raw Japanese denim if it's better value there, as well as craft leather goods.

Any other recommendations please share!

habitant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interested in in things outside tokyo, routes to take around the country. is the north worth visiting?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads