• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oil based stain removal

Motorsport226

Reaction score
Ok, so I managed to get an olive oil stain on one of my dress shirts this weekend. I dabbed it with a napkin and luckily my girlfriend had a tide to go stick in her purse and i treated it with that.

When I got home I treated it again with some shout advanced gel, washed it, let it hang dry.
It got most of it out, to the point that its only noticeable in certain lighting, but it'll still annoy the **** out of me.
musicboohoo[1].gif

So my question is this, should i treat it and wash it again now, or wait until after its next wear and wash it then? I just hate washing things multiple times in row in fear of doing damage to the shirt.

Also any suggestions on alternative methods to remove the stain would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys!

politico

Reaction score
It seems odd, but if it's not the fanciest piece of clothing, try using Kerosene. It should work to get out any oil stains.

Like dissolves like!

Motorsport226

Reaction score
Originally Posted by politico
It seems odd, but if it's not the fanciest piece of clothing, try using Kerosene. It should work to get out any oil stains.

Like dissolves like!

Not sure I feel comfortable doing that haha.

Are there any other opnions out there?

mdp0430

Reaction score
This happens to me all the time. I don't put anything on it until I get home. Then I liberally apply talcum or baby powder and rub it into the stain. After a day or so, I take it to my dry cleaner. The stain always comes out.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lighter fluid works on most fabrics. If the shirt is coloured chack for colourfastness though...

politico

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ManofKent
Lighter fluid works on most fabrics. If the shirt is coloured chack for colourfastness though...

He said he doesn't want to use Kerosene, Lighter fluid is butane, while not the same thing, they're very similar.

Motorsport226

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mdp0430
This happens to me all the time. I don't put anything on it until I get home. Then I liberally apply talcum or baby powder and rub it into the stain. After a day or so, I take it to my dry cleaner. The stain always comes out.

That sounds like a good idea. But should I do it now or wait until after I wear it again? Would it be bad for the shirt if it was washed twice in a row?

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by politico
He said he doesn't want to use Kerosene, Lighter fluid is butane, while not the same thing, they're very similar.

Because Butane is a gas it evaporates very quickly - Kerosene, or Parafin as we call it over here is a simple distilate and can leave residue.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Motorsport226
That sounds like a good idea. But should I do it now or wait until after I wear it again? Would it be bad for the shirt if it was washed twice in a row?

Is it silk? If it's cotton, go ahead and treat it with Shout gel, shampoo or dish detergent. Washing doesn't hurt cotton.

Motorsport226

Reaction score
Originally Posted by alliswell
Is it silk? If it's cotton, go ahead and treat it with Shout gel, shampoo or dish detergent. Washing doesn't hurt cotton.

Yea its 100% supima cotton.

Now I'm not sure wether to treat it again and wash it or try the baby powder method and have it dry cleaned. Any opinons on what would work better?

Thanks for all the input guys!

cimabue

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ManofKent
Because Butane is a gas it evaporates very quickly - Kerosene, or Parafin as we call it over here is a simple distilate and can leave residue.

You use butane? Hmm.

I use the Zippo kind of lighter fuel for oily stains. It's basically naphtha, a petroleum distillate. You can also just buy VM&P naphtha at a hardware store. Quality VM&P will dry without leaving a residue. Blot, blot, blot. Make sure nobody is welding near you. And put the Camel Light out.

Woodman

Reaction score
Baby powder works wonders on oil-based stains!
Sprinkle it on, lightly shake or brush it, and see if it "sets up" on the spot/stain.
It will attach to whatever oil is left, and pull it out.
Let it sit for anywhere for a few minutes to an hour, and then use a stiff brush to brush it off.
Repeat as needed.
Once there's no more oil, just wash it normally.

Motorsport226

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Woodman
Baby powder works wonders on oil-based stains!
Sprinkle it on, lightly shake or brush it, and see if it "sets up" on the spot/stain.
It will attach to whatever oil is left, and pull it out.
Let it sit for anywhere for a few minutes to an hour, and then use a stiff brush to brush it off.
Repeat as needed.
Once there's no more oil, just wash it normally.

Does this work if its already been washed? I just hung it out to dry and I would assume I can still do the baby powder method?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads