• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official: Suit with no tie

Romeomikehotel

Reaction score
So i get that this topic is akin to drawing pictures of the prophet Mohammad around here but i happen to do it every day and I'm hoping to create a dumping grounds for myself and the other folks who do can post without risk of crucifixion.
As I mentally plan my outfit for the next day as I'm lying in bed at evening I try to envision what my outfit will look like but it's hard to run off of what is generally posted here. Tomorrow I will likely be wearing a black and heavily striped "mafia" (as described by coworker) suit with a light blue shirt.
I'm hoping that this can be a place to exchange style tips for those of us who choose or must forgo a tie. As subjective as style is, I believe this is the direction of the future so let's start it off right and share the best ways of looking good while forgoing that traditional staple that is a tie (or leash in my opinion).
Cheers!

Here's a couple to get started:
IMG_2071.PNG
IMG_2073.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why is this an "Official" thread and what makes it stand apart from the rest?

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So i get that this topic is akin to drawing pictures of the prophet Mohammad around here but i happen to do it every day and I'm hoping to create a dumping grounds for myself and the other folks who do can post without risk of crucifixion.
As I mentally plan my outfit for the next day as I'm lying in bed at evening I try to envision what my outfit will look like but it's hard to run off of what is generally posted here. Tomorrow I will likely be wearing a black and heavily striped "mafia" (as described by coworker) suit with a light blue shirt.
I'm hoping that this can be a place to exchange style tips for those of us who choose or must forgo a tie. As subjective as style is, I believe this is the direction of the future so let's start it off right and share the best ways of looking good while forgoing that traditional staple that is a tie (or leash in my opinion).
Cheers!

First, those shirts are horrible and they look terrible when worn under a jacket without a tie. They are simply not designed nor made to be worn like that, without a tie. The collars collapse and you end up looking like you got dressed in the dark. If you are serious about this endeavor, then go to the trouble of trying to look halfway decent. Either use a button-down collar shirt with a nice roll to it, or use a shirt with a one-piece collar that is designed to stand up under a jacket. Like this:

IMG_8426.jpg IMG_9300.jpg IMG_0498.jpg

Lastly, that last picture of you: you are with a lady who has gone to the trouble of wearing a gown, she probably took some trouble over her hair and makeup, and you, well, you look as if you didn't even try. And that shirt looks awful. Wear a better shirt, do your jacket up, put the beer bottle down when taking a picture with your lady. And put on a tie.

Belfaborac

Reaction score
I'm entirely with Andy57.

Suit and no tie is just fine if the suit and shirt are both suited (sorry) to the purpose. The combinations pictured simply look bad (picture 2 I find entirely inoffensive, but then it doesn't contain a suit) and the last picture in particular is awful. The contrast between yourself and the lady is vast and not at all in your favour. Oh, and holding a beer bottle is fine if you're at a frat party, wearing a toga, or on a boozy trip to Malaga with mates, but that's pretty much it. It really cheapens the whole thing massively.

Blake Stitched Blues

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You seem to have an awful hangup about ties but to be honest, the bigger issue is that none of your clothes fit well. You're a young guy with a little bit of a healthy midsection but you look like you're wearing your father's clothes from the '80s/90s - baggy cuts, three button jackets, huge shoulder pads, contrast collar shirts etc.

Start again with well-fitting clothes and force yourself to get over your tie-with-suit phobia. If you can't do that you'd be better off adopting a sports jacket, slacks and open-necked button down collar shirt uniform.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member