• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

That's exactly what it does. The Olde MK 800 doesn't have power scaling however, just a master volume.

Two things here. Brian Fargen says the power scaling is not needed for the 25w amp as the master volume will let you get the tone at low volumes. Also, for an extra few hundred, apparently you can have him install the power scaling on this unit when he builds it.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
oh boy

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nah - trust me, nobody cares. People in the shop aren't like "man, that guy doesn't deserve a $3k amp!" even though you might think they're saying that.

lol.... mostly true. just don't play like a dick... meaning super loud, the same thing over and over or anything by Creed or the Goo Goo Dolls and you'll be fine. Also do not play Stairway To Heaven or Little Wing... unless of course you can nail Little Wing like the second coming of Jimi in which case they may give you a discount!

fwiw... in college I worked and taught in a kick-ass boutique shop so I've seen it all. man oh man the funniest **** happens in guitar shops when you think no one's looking (or listening) ;)

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

lol.... mostly true. just don't play like a dick... meaning super loud, the same thing over and over or anything by Creed or the Goo Goo Dolls and you'll be fine. Also do not play Stairway To Heaven or Little Wing... unless of course you can nail Little Wing like the second coming of Jimi in which case they may give you a discount!

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Scoping the bay tonight for MiM Strat and USA strat parts. Feeling the GAS pretty bad, Piob.

Last edited:

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
-double post-

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

fwiw... in college I worked and taught in a kick-ass boutique shop so I've seen it all. man oh man the funniest **** happens in guitar shops when you think no one's looking (or listening) ;)

Well, there goes my whole schtick. I knew I wasn't ready to go try out guitars. GAS cured!

stickshift

Reaction score
Gonna get an orange micro terror as a transportable practice amp. I was surprised I really connected with it using a strat. At $120, it's basically like buying a pedal.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
If your computer will handle it go to ableton.com and d/l their free version. This includes everyone reading this. If you don't have an audio interface you will need to buy one to plug in directly but you can get a Focusrite 2i2 here for $135. The number of included voicings, effects, mods, etc. will blow you away. One included is "Jimi's Big Amp" and there's a number of other amp simulators. A ton of reverbs, delays, etc. Then get a really cheap USB midi keyboard, like the Arturia Minilab I bought for $80, and it's pretty cool.

Seriously have no ******* clue what I was doing but I was making some great noise. :)

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ funny guys! :happy:

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
i'm getting a hot plate. the way the JTM delivers power is very loud.

very different from the DSL.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Two things here. Brian Fargen says the power scaling is not needed for the 25w amp as the master volume will let you get the tone at low volumes. Also, for an extra few hundred, apparently you can have him install the power scaling on this unit when he builds it.

Master volume is still a master volume. The only amp I would consider using a master volume on over power scaling in a small room setting is a 5 watt amp. A 25 watt amp is really ******* loud, about the same as a 100 watt amp really in terms db. You won't be able to get the power tubes near the point of breaking up where the master volume is really going to help you. You are essentially still just using the pre-amp tubes for distortion.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Master volume is still a master volume. The only amp I would consider using a master volume on over power scaling in a small room setting is a 5 watt amp. A 25 watt amp is really ******* loud, about the same as a 100 watt amp really in terms db. You won't be able to get the power tubes near the point of breaking up where the master volume is really going to help you. You are essentially still just using the pre-amp tubes for distortion.

Why are you calling Mr. Fargen a liar? :(

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm not calling him a liar. Yes he makes a well built amp that will sound good regardless, but let's call a spade a spade here. You're not getting power amp compression and saturation using a master volume.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
First thing he talks about here is not needing the power scaling. Also, as I said, I found out he'll install the power scaling for $300 or so. I just do not want to spend 3k on an amp and decide later I should have bought one with more power.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads