• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
If that was addressed to me, no, I was not being sarcastic. I might be wrong in that statement but it was a conclusionary one.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
also, in my experience, tubes are rarely replaced because it's necessary. They're replaced because "I was reading about this Russian brand, and I think I'm going to try some out. Yeah, try out some new tubes".

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yeah, musicians rarely play with the same gear very long too. Always buying new stuff, switching, trading and so on.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

Yeah, musicians rarely play with the same gear very long too. Always buying new stuff, switching, trading and so on.

this is why I like the used market. Far cheaper, and odds are something wasn't gigged very much. It's not like buying a 2003 AMG Mercedes where you might be in a world of pain. Musicians simply swap and trade all the time.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
also, in the same vein, I really only have 2 guitars (tele customs) and 1 amp (the Princeton) that are guaranteed to be hung on to. Everything else can easily end up as trade bait.

ac_slater

Reaction score

If that was addressed to me, no, I was not being sarcastic. I might be wrong in that statement but it was a conclusionary one.

Since each "decade mode" is still using the same power tubes, you aren't saving any life on the tubes by using different modes. You're burning tubes at the same rate no matter what mode you use. IE: 2 hours played on the 70's mode and 2 hours played on the 80's mode is still going to equal 4 hours of power tube burn.

gomestar is also right in reference to most people buying tubes due to curiosity rather than necessity, although the "Oh it sounds better" sound you get from trying a different brand of tubes can often be a result of your original tubes being a bit older and flat sounding. Just because a tube is still working doesn't mean it's generating its optimal sound. This is why NOS tubes are getting to be so lusted for. Those tubes tend to sound great through the entire life of the tube as opposed to newer ones that simply don't have the tolerances in place to stay fresh that long.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Since each "decade mode" is still using the same power tubes, you aren't saving any life on the tubes by using different modes. You're burning tubes at the same rate no matter what mode you use. IE: 2 hours played on the 70's mode and 2 hours played on the 80's mode is still going to equal 4 hours of power tube burn.

So it uses six tubes all the time? I figured with three distinct circuits, one per "decade," it was maybe split two tubes per.

Either way tube life is not going to prevent anyone in the market for a 3k low watter from buying it.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
all the time. I'm not entirely sure of the circuitry on my DSL, but all 8 tube are on when the amp is on, regardless of which channel i'm using.

ac_slater

Reaction score

So it uses six tubes all the time? I figured with three distinct circuits, one per "decade," it was maybe split two tubes per.

It's only a 2 tube amp. There may be a different circuit for each decade but they all 3 are using the same 2 (or 1 if you do the half power mode) tubes.

Either way tube life is not going to prevent anyone in the market for a 3k low watter from buying it.

Exactly, and there are lots of amps like this. Hell, the Matchless DC30 (or any AC30 derived amp) is a tube destroyer. Makes the Fargen look nice by comparison. One cheaper amp that I tell guys to be careful with is those Egnater Tweakers that are so popular. The attenuator on those is really rough on the tubes. On average they blow every 6 months. Really good sounding amp for the price though.

Last edited:

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
just set up a THD Hot Plate for the JTM45. You do lose a bit of the overhead, but IMO it makes up for it by being able to push the tubes to a little break without getting a knock from my neighbors.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
you're right but the way I see it is I'm getting a tone that i could never get in my apartment otherwise.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

you're right but the way I see it is I'm getting a tone that i could never get in my apartment otherwise.

Buy the Fargen and you could. :teach:

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
problem is, i already have a version of the 60's model the Fargen replicates. And I have a predecessor of the the 80's model that the Fargen replicates.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads