• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NYC-D.C. Acela--good/bad?

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Acela is far better than flying. I do this route commonly. However I get a corporate rate. If you are doing it yourself, I'm not so sure the train is worth the extra money. Delta shuttle is probably cheaper at full price, even with taxis.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
It is not under 2 hours, it is 2:45 at best. Fares vary widely depending on day/time, but by and large the Acela is 2x more expensive than a regional, and is 20-45 minutes faster. Not worth it if paying for it yourself. If business expense, then, hey, go for it.

This

MsMcGillicuddy

Reaction score
I used to ride that route more than occasionally. The only times I ever had mechanical issues were on the Acelas, so I've avoided them since. And even without those technical delays, the difference in cost seems to be much more than the amount of time saved.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do this via Bolt all the time.

Though If I was blowing mommy-daddy money I would definitely do Acela.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
It looks as if the trip either way is under 2 hours. Are there a lot of delays on the Acela routes? Or are these pretty reliable trains? If it's anything like regular Amtrak it must suck.

Also, what are the usual ticket prices for a round-trip?

good lord, all this time on the interwebtz and you don't know how to search?

WTF is wrong with you?

don't they at least teach you something at OSU?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
good lord, all this time on the interwebtz and you don't know how to search? WTF is wrong with you? don't they at least teach you something at OSU?
Things like trip time obviously vary from pre-defined numbers, which appear on the Acela site. And I couldn't find ticket prices. So kindly STFU.
fing02[1].gif

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Acela is INCREDIBLE if you do this on a weekly basis. If you are not expensing it there are far more economical options, but Quiet car with just you in the corner of a square of four seats, some drinks, at the end of a workweek and a weekend to look forward to in the city??
inlove.gif
inlove.gif
inlove.gif
inlove.gif
inlove.gif

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been on Acela a handful of times, and once they missed a departure, causing the train that I was on to have to carry two sets of passengers. Did not even get a seat. The other times were fine though. I don't see an appreciable difference between Acela and the regional in terms of either comfort or travel time.

Bolt bus is IMO a slightly cleaner Fung Wah with a slightly less tired driver. Which is to say it's only slightly less horrible.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads