• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Number (N)ine closing

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AndrewRyanWallace
^I wish D&G went under instead.

They've done a few good collections, not all of it is pretentious and label flashing. I find the D&G (casual line) collection more relevant than the mainline, however both have had a few hits. I too was quick to judge D&G by all the douche bags who wear it, but looking into it more, Dolce & Gabbana aren't that bad. Especially when compared to the likes of Diesel or DKNY, or the billions of mall brands that show no shame marketing soulless repetitious garbage (ed hardy, affliction, true religion, can't name more cause I keep away from it like the plague).

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by XenoX101
They've done a few good collections, not all of it is pretentious and label flashing. I find the D&G (casual line) collection more relevant than the mainline, however both have had a few hits. I too was quick to judge D&G by all the douche bags who wear it, but looking into it more, Dolce & Gabbana aren't that bad. Especially when compared to the likes of Diesel or DKNY, or the billions of mall brands that show no shame marketing soulless repetitious garbage (ed hardy, affliction, true religion, can't name more cause I keep away from it like the plague).

how can you compare dolce and gabbana to Diesel and DKNY. theyre completely different brands targeting different people. mainline dolce is completely diff then diesel and dkny. D and G price point is still much higher then both. i dont even think diesels black gold line is in the price of D and G, let alone the mainline. and dkny is just complete ****.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That doesn't matter though, as there are many brands which do better at similar price points, aiming at similar demographics, my point was that such brands would be better with riddance than Dolce & Gabbana. Society doesn't discern target demographics and only to some degree do they discern price point, to them it's all fashion, having brands such as these represent the industry is insulting, however, as there are much better out there.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
^Though I've enjoyed the huge explosion of menswear options over the past 7-8 years, I also must say that the market is way too saturated and flooded with lackluster offerings. I don't want to see anybody's hard work go down the tubes or go out of business (as, usually, if I don't like it, I just won't buy it), but overall I'm not going to be losing sleep as a lot of brands go under.

I think, in the long run, we as customers and consumers will be better off for it. We will be more careful with our money and the true talents who have the ability to make garments that actually work on humans will stay. We will also have to become more educated as consumers (I hope).

Of course, the counterargument that only the "big" players, with their garish novaplaid and "DG" logos everywhere, will remain... but I disagree. I think we've got too much now of everything and some of these designers are going to have to become smarter and leaner, from the top down and then onto the runways and showrooms.

Just my two cents, of course.

Agreed, would be nice to correct the market. Everybody thinks they can be a designer including the fly by night brands I mentioned which have no identify other than by association to the core ccp, carpe type labels. I do love cdg, junya and yohji but the other japanese labels well I don't really give a **** about them (sorry magician!).

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by XenoX101
That doesn't matter though, as there are many brands which do better at similar price points, aiming at similar demographics, my point was that such brands would be better with riddance than Dolce & Gabbana. Society doesn't discern target demographics and only to some degree do they discern price point, to them it's all fashion, having brands such as these represent the industry is insulting, however, as there are much better out there.

confused.gif
youre dumb.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AndrewRyanWallace

Anyway N(N) was pretty inspiring to a lot of people...unlike some brands which continue to churn out average looking clothing at varying levels of quality.

When it was on it was on...but there were times it just looked like found clothing from a thrift shop (last fall)--it could be too derivative and literal.

Oldboy

Reaction score
I think my first introduction to Number (N)ine was seeing darkanimal post his outfits in the WAYWT thread over at SUFU. This was back in 04-05 when I first started lurking there and holy **** his fits were so next-level. RIP

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
I can't disagree more. BTW Branquinho isn't doing too well right now. I also hard rumors about TB having problems.

When I was at the Branquinho store in Antwerp last month (most pretentious sentence I have written on this forum) the SA was telling me they are having a hard time getting stores to carry the clothes in the USA, how Branquinho's focus is very narrow and sized for Europeans and how expensive they would be at US retail prices.

It was nice stuff but 1000 euros for a basic Romanian made sweater was absurd.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by farfisa23
When I was at the Branquinho store in Antwerp last month (most pretentious sentence I have written on this forum) the SA was telling me they are having a hard time getting stores to carry the clothes in the USA, how Branquinho's focus is very narrow and sized for Europeans and how expensive they would be at US retail prices.

It was nice stuff but 1000 euros for a basic Romanian made sweater was absurd.

She just got picked up by Kesner here in NY.

who8mahrice

Reaction score
Ah too bad. Could never afford anything but I really did like the collections...probably because it was just so different from what I normally wear.

7173jhn

Reaction score
I could see Branquinho going out business. I think it is carried at IF too in NY but it as far as the men's clothing went it does not really stand out compared to so many other better belgian designers.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William Elizabeth