• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newc's Bespoke Adventure.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why not taupe or tan for the second suit?

Great question, LS.

While I probably sound like a broken record player, after three or so years with the firm that I currently work for, I have kind of realized the "sweet spot" when it comes to what I can get away with clothing-wise.

Really, I have found that light-colored suits - with the exception of seersucker - and especially non-traditional, light-colored suits - i.e., tans, or browns, as opposed to grays - get weird looks. Further, I tend to interface with clients regularly, and also go to court fairly regularly, and dark-colored suits just feel more somber/acceptable. I feel like an ass when I am speaking to someone about a serious matter and I look like the Easter bunny.

Nonetheless, within that dark-colored suit spectrum, I can get away with just about anything.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great question, LS.

While I probably sound like a broken record player, after three or so years with the firm that I currently work for, I have kind of realized the "sweet spot" when it comes to what I can get away with clothing-wise.

Really, I have found that light-colored suits - with the exception of seersucker - and especially non-traditional, light-colored suits - i.e., tans, or browns, as opposed to grays - get weird looks. Further, I tend to interface with clients regularly, and also go to court fairly regularly, and dark-colored suits just feel more somber/acceptable. I feel like an ass when I am speaking to someone about a serious matter and I look like the Easter bunny.

Nonetheless, within that dark-colored suit spectrum, I can get away with just about anything.

giphy-1.gif

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do any of y'all ever look down when you are wearing something, and think: "I look kind of silly wearing this" (notwithstanding the fact that you may look normal to others). For some reason, I feel that way with light-colored suits.

Completely irrational, I know. A taupe / tan suit will likely be in my future - just not sure about the immediate future :).

Flake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I know exactly what you mean. What I like to wear doesn't always translate to what makes sense with client expectations.

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do any of y'all ever look down when you are wearing something, and think: "I look kind of silly wearing this" (notwithstanding the fact that you may look normal to others).

Yes. That’s why I started paying attention to this forum.

Separately. I’ve never seen a lawyer wearing a taupe/tan suit in real life. I know that’s location dependent, and maybe I’m just forgetting someone, but for me that would be a very extreme choice.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Do any of y'all ever look down when you are wearing something, and think: "I look kind of silly wearing this" (notwithstanding the fact that you may look normal to others).

I felt this way with camelhair jackets. I no longer have any even though I still admire them on other people.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do any of y'all ever look down when you are wearing something, and think: "I look kind of silly wearing this" (notwithstanding the fact that you may look normal to others). For some reason, I feel that way with light-colored suits.

Completely irrational, I know. A taupe / tan suit will likely be in my future - just not sure about the immediate future :).

Well I assumed that it's hot as balls in Louisiana in the summer and a taupe suit would be more than appropriate. But theres no point in wearing something you don't feel comfortable in.

Do you still take your jacket off when you get to the office?

emptym

Reaction score
Tan tropical wool or gabardine suits used to be pretty common in DC during the summer 20 yrs ago, fwiw. No idea about now.

Good to know that seersucker's still worn in LA. I bought some pincord pants in NO in 2004. I think pincord is a bit easier to wear than seersucker.

Last edited:

Big Bird

Reaction score
As an impressible young professional I went out and bought a taupe/khaki suit from Corneliani for a large part of my summer bonus after seeing Matthew McConaughey wear one in “A Time to Kill”.

Have probably worn that suit less than ten times over the last 20 years. I still love the suit (and the look) but I just feel ridiculous every time I wear it.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, I know exactly what you mean. What I like to wear doesn't always translate to what makes sense with client expectations.

Yes. That’s why I started paying attention to this forum.

Separately. I’ve never seen a lawyer wearing a taupe/tan suit in real life. I know that’s location dependent, and maybe I’m just forgetting someone, but for me that would be a very extreme choice.

I felt this way with camelhair jackets. I no longer have any even though I still admire them on other people.

Well, we all know how a tan suit in DC worked out for Obama...

As an impressible young professional I went out and bought a taupe/khaki suit from Corneliani for a large part of my summer bonus after seeing Matthew McConaughey wear one in “A Time to Kill”.

Have probably worn that suit less than ten times over the last 20 years. I still love the suit (and the look) but I just feel ridiculous every time I wear it.

Funny how many people share my tan/taupe suit sentiment.

On a somewhat related tangent, on a Friday when I first started working, I wore tobacco linen suit, striped shirt, and a knit tie with spots. I did not have any planned meeting with a client, I was not going to court, and my direct superior wouldn't even be in the office - I thought I was safe.

Turns out, I ended up taking notes in a meeting with the two named partners and two other partners, and various executive-type persons who were new clients at the time. I was the only person not wearing a dark suit, dark tie, white shirt, black shoes. I felt exceedingly self-conscious, and silly.

Ever since, and aside from rare occasions, I typically wear something conservative enough that if I get called into a meeting, or happen to have something crop up, I do not feel ridiculous.

Thanks - what were your impressions of the cloth on a larger scale?

Well I assumed that it's hot as balls in Louisiana in the summer and a taupe suit would be more than appropriate. But theres no point in wearing something you don't feel comfortable in.

Do you still take your jacket off when you get to the office?

I take my jacket off for some of the day. I always wear my jacket to lunch, to meetings / court, and for at least a couple hours at my desk. I would say I wear my jacket about 40% of the day.

Tan tropical wool or gabardine suits used to be pretty common in DC during the summer 20 yrs ago, fwiw. No idea about now.

Good to know that seersucker's still worn in LA. I bought some pincord pants in NO in 2004. I think pincord is a bit easier to wear than seersucker.

Strangely, seersucker is completely acceptable. Many of the attorneys in my office wear seersucker two to three times a week during the summer. In the early days of the firm, we represented a big name in seersucker, and ever since, it has been a large part of office wear.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads