• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New to suits, have a question about combo...

eboggs

Reaction score
Hello everyone, Im new here and well, new to owning a suit...Im 22, and have managed thus far to not own a suit. I personally like just wearing a nice shirt, tie, dress pants and of course my suspenders.
wink.gif

So, having said that, I dont really know much (other than what I have read these last couple of days, which has probably been way too much) about suits. I purchased my first yesterday, its nothing fancy, a Kenneth Cole New York Suit, Charcoal Pindot (Trim Fit) ...just to give you a visualization of what Im working with....Now, I was all set on going with a white shirt, and skinny 2" black tie, nice and simple....but once it was all on, I just felt like I was lacking any type of personality....I am thinking of the possibility of going with a Plaid Shirt....Any advice? Will a plaid shirt work OK with this Charcoal Pindot suit?

Is a Plaid Shirt under a Suit professional? I am going to be wearing this to an Interview for the Police Academy. I dont necessarily want to stick out, but I want to show confidence, and yeah kind of stick out from the other applicants and I want my suit to fit my attitude going in, which it confident.

If I must stick with a solid color I will do so, Just looking for some advice as I have no knowledge on "Suit Style"
musicboohoo[1].gif

Anyway, I am looking forward to hearing from you all and here's hoping you can help me!

Thanks (I hope I posted this in the right place,
uhoh.gif
)

CTLION

Reaction score
I love patterned shirts but you are better off with either a solid color either light blue or white. If you feel the need to have a pattern on your shirt go with a subtle vertical stripe.

Conservative is always the best policy for an interview. Outside of the interview there are plenty of ways to add your own style to your suit. But in an interview they want to see a professional look.

Just my two cents based on interviewing and interviewing others.

CTLION

Reaction score
I think the tie you wear can say a lot about you. I would find a stunning tie. Or perhaps take the suit to a mens clothing store tell them the occasion and what look you want and ask them to recommend shirt and tie combos. When I graduated college I purchased two suits. For every interview i visited the shop and told them what I was looking for...they laid out options and I purchased the combos that were right for me.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Now, I was all set on going with a white shirt, and skinny 2" black tie, nice and simple

A solid white shirt is a perfectly fine choice. Some might suggest pale blue, some might even suggest some other color, but honestly, a white shirt with a grey suit is a good choice and you should go with it. Don't get yourself all confused worrying about alternatives, or start second guessing the decision.

A skinny black tie is not an optimal choice. Particularly with a grey suit and white shirt, a tie with a little color is a nice idea. Nothing garish, you understand. But a burgundy tie might be a good choice. And 2" is very skinny; a more mainstream tie width would likely be better.

I just felt like I was lacking any type of personality....I am thinking of the possibility of going with a Plaid Shirt....Any advice?
Wear the solid white shirt. Particularly as this is for a police academy interview. Go conservative and universally accepted. And that doesn't mean plaid. Go express your personality however you like - after the interview, when you're out with friends.

I dont necessarily want to stick out, but I want to show confidence, and yeah kind of stick out from the other applicants and I want my suit to fit my attitude going in, which it confident.
The purpose of the suit should be to show that you know how to dress appropriately for an interview at the police academy. It's not a setting where having your clothes stand out will benefit you. Ideally, you want to be dressed so appropriately that your suit, shirt, etc., are totally forgotten by your interviewers. Have them remember you for what you said to them, and not for what you were wearing.

I will assume that you suitable shoes, and that they will be shined. And that you'll have your suit properly tailored (which I probably shouldn't have to mention, but I've seen young men wear suits with sleeves 4" too long, and unfinished trouser bottoms, and I don't believe it was a fashion statement so much as it was unawareness of the fact that suits are not jeans, and they invariably require some minor alterations before you wear them).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads