1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Need a nice suit for my wedding in Chicago

Discussion in 'Menswear Advice' started by starbuk, Apr 13, 2016.

1. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

I would say to allow them to bring their own suits is the better option.

Rented tuxes have a limited lifetime, for obvious reasons, and in order to get the margins right, they have to be cheap. For example, if you rent out a tux for $150, and you can rent it out 6 times before it needs to be sold off for cheap, you need to get that tux for maybe... $150-200, to make up all your overhead. It would be better to just buy an inexpensive tux from somewhere like a mens wearhouse. The quality will be the same or better in any case, and you have something you can possibly wear again.

2. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Well-Known Member

Rental tuxes are generally cheap and obviously poorly fitting, however there is nothing wrong with it if you simply must have your groomsmen in a tux. So you want yourself to look good and you are willing to buy your own tux and invest in alterations. That's great. If the groomsmen aren't so concerned then let them rent. You looking your best will simply make you stand out even more. And why shouldn't you? You are the groom.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
    2 people like this.
  3. Jim Chu

Jim Chu Well-Known Member

Quote: Try La Spalla or Jort lines, both fully canvassed.

1 person likes this.
  4. LA Guy

This.

However, your groomsmen can buy an inexpensive tux and get it altered for marginally more. I know that this sounds... insane, but you can actually try things on at a mens wearhouse: http://www.menswearhouse.com/mens-clothes/formalwear, and if they are going in together, they can get stuff for $230 apiece or so. Compare this to rented tuxedos, which start at about $150, and you have penalties for getting them dirty, or turning them in late, and the financial incentives for buying them decrease significantly.

But yes, I would concentrate on you!

2 people like this.
  5. starbuk

starbuk Member

The posts in this thread have helped tremendously and decreased my stress level quite a bit - thank you to all posters.

LA Guy, Caustic et al. - I live in Chicago and am comfortable spending $750 to $2000 ($1000 being ideal) for a tuxedo. Mr. Ned sounds like he would be great - is there a similar shop that you can recommend in Chicago? I would like to have another option besides Suit Supply.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  6. LA Guy

I don't really know Chicago that well, but @Despos is a bespoke tailor there, though his prices might be above your budget. There are many other custom tailors in Chicago as well - I've heard of Richard Bennett, Nikiforos, The Tailor Shop, and so on. You'd have to consult with them re. prices, look at their work, etc...

1 person likes this.
  7. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Well-Known Member

Thanks from me as well, LA Guy. I'm new to the area myself and I will check out some of those places you mentioned.

1 person likes this.
  8. LA Guy

No problem. Chicago has a surprising number of tailors. The designer shopping used to be fairly limited, but even that is growing, so, something for everyone.

1 person likes this.
  9. Veremund

Veremund Well-Known Member

Dude, it's your wedding. If you want to wear a tux, do it. Those shoes will do just fine. And if you're the only one in a tux, that's fine too. It's your wedding.

1 person likes this.
  10. Newcomer

Newcomer Well-Known Member

I use Despos, and he is superb, but again, if it is out of your price range, not much you can do about that! For $750 to $1,000, not certain just how much you can get "custom." A lot of "custom" shops - aside from Mr. Ned, and a few other exceptions - will simply farm out the suit to a 3P after taking measurements. In some ways, you are often better at looking RTW, if you are an easy enough fit. With custom - especially inexpensive custom - comes a whole lot of risk. And depending on when your wedding is, well, risk may not be the best thing...

11. starbuk

starbuk Member

Quote:
    Thanks, I will see how they look with the tux after getting polished up nicely.

Thank you. My budget is going to be about $1000 to $3000 which is still well shy of Despos pricing. I contacted some of the vendors LA Guy suggested and that is within their price range of MTM suits.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016