• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need a new car - Boston

linux_pro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
No, they stopped after one five year scenario, not "every five years actually." Their scenario was bad, it did not compare apples to apples. I will take one last stab and trying to get through to you. I already gave you a simulaiton above to run that would compare apples to apples. You ignored that one, so here is one last attempt:

One person leases a new car, zero down, for three years.
One person buys a new car, zero down, and in three years walks into a dealership and takes what they will offer him.

Both have no car now and no monthly payment. Who do you think spent less money? That is an apples to apples comparison, just like the one I did above is an apples to apples comparison.

And still no word on that 30K?
laugh.gif

Oh, a quote from the article, showing that they can't think straight:

Guess what? The lease changed vehicles in three years. By their own benchmark, it is not an apples to apples comparison.
teacha.gif

OK, again people, not sure if you're all aware of this, but if it's cheaper to buy over a 5-year period that shows a "trend." As with all math, if the sum of 1 and 1 is more than 1, the sum will continue to increase the more 1's you add to it. Amazing to me that you seriously expect this to somehow not be true. I have to admit that you are getting quite creative in an attempt to somehow make this untrue, but you've yet to show me the math. Why do I have to keep repeating myself here? I've asked you to show me some math showing me that a lease is cheaper. Can you do that or not? If not, just admit that buying a car is cheaper than leasing and be done with it.

I'm not the one who continues to argue emotionally here, I showed you a clear and simple mathematical proof that buying is cheaper than leasing.

If you can't post actual math showing that leasing is cheaper than owning (and I want to see it over a 5-year period or longer, since most of us live longer than 5 years and will hence need to own a vehicle for longer than 5 years), then just admit that it's cheaper to buy than to lease and be done with the argument. It's that simple.

Is it cheaper to lease? Show me the math. Let's see your numbers. Otherwise, stop trying to argue a point you already lost.

So far, it has been proven that it is cheaper to buy than to lease. Which, in my mind, makes leasing a bad idea from a fiscal standpoint. PERIOD.

linux_pro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HomerJ
The Edmunds article doesn't make sense to me. It seems to ignore some important factors.

After the first 3 years, why does the buyer continue to drive a 3 year old car while the lessee drives a new car? There's some value to driving a new car and it just ignores that personal preference.

What happened to the $2000 difference in upfront costs in favor of the lessee ($3000 loan down payment - $1000 cap reduction)?

What happened to the $258 per month in monthly payment in favor of the lessee ($650 loan payment - $350 lease payment)?

^^ Isn't there some time value or opportunity cost (whatever you financial people call it) there?

Personally I think leases can sucker some people into living beyond their means but they can be useful for others. Just do the homework and consider your personal preferences. Certain luxury cars with high residual values and free maintenance during the lease period would be attractive. My personal preference would be paying cash for a Cadillac coming off a lease. Terrible at holding their value but good cars.

Well, at least I can give you credit for actually bringing numbers into your argument. I still don't see any math here, though.

Is leasing cheaper than buying? Show me the math. Otherwise, regardless of whether or not you choose to believe or understand the FACT, it is still a FACT that buying is cheaper than leasing.

GIVE ME SOME MATH, PEOPLE. We are talking about numbers. There is only one way to compare numbers, and that is through math. Stop using emotional arguments to try to prove mathematical points. It drives engineers like me crazy. If you wish to prove a mathematical theory, you gotta be willing to put your numbers to the test and show how you did it. Otherwise, it's just empty talk, and your false theory will continue to remain PROVEN FALSE.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by linux_pro
Good luck on your future endeavors. No hard feelings, but I'm done arguing this.

When does that kick in?

You can keep crowing around and looking the ass all you want, but everyone can see apples are not being compared to apples. Will a person spend less money if they buy a car cash and drive it for five years vs. a person that leases a car for three years, gets a new car, and then you add up the costs two years into the second three year lease? Sure. Does it make sense to attempt that comparison?

Not even a little bit.

Can you let me know what you are going long in? I want to short it.

Originally Posted by linux_pro
GIVE ME SOME MATH, PEOPLE. We are talking about numbers. There is only one way to compare numbers, and that is through math.

And your math has to make sense. Equations must be set up properly. NONE OF YOUR MATH MAKES SENSE!

That is all.

linux_pro

Reaction score
And as a clarification of an earlier post in which I said if you continue to add 1 to a sum, your sum will continually increase, allow me to clarify the point a bit. It bothers me that my own math was inaccurate. I was actually trying to express an exponential equation in a linear fashion, which as any high schooler can tell you, is drastically inaccurate.

Here's a better way to express the logic:

IF X > Y, AND X > 0 AND n > 0, THEN nX > Y
regardless of value of n

Good luck proving otherwise.

Oh, and it's interesting to note that the higher the value of n, the greater the difference between X and Y. So, basically, buying is a car is EXPONENTIALLY cheaper than leasing, depending on how many times you do it and/or for how long.

linux_pro

Reaction score
When does that kick in?

You can keep crowing around and looking the ass all you want, but everyone can see apples are not being compared to apples. Will a person spend less money if they buy a car cash and drive it for five years vs. a person that leases a car for three years, gets a new car, and then you add up the costs two years into the second three year lease? Sure. Does it make sense to attempt that comparison?

Not even a little bit.

Actually, you are the one who continues to argue a point which has been proven false, without any proof of your own argument. That, my friend, is what being an ass is all about. I've provided proof, you've provided nothing.

Again, WHERE IS YOUR MATH?

Can you let me know what you are going long in? I want to short it.

Well, I just opened a EUR/USD contract, buy USD. Good luck!

And your math has to make sense. Equations must be set up properly. NONE OF YOUR MATH MAKES SENSE!

That is all.

Not my fault that you lack a basic math education. I'd suggest going to a community college and taking some remedial math courses. They will introduce you to the basics, at which point you can move on to Algebra, and maybe someday you will work your way up to Calculus.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
nvm

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nvm

+1. I have better use of my time.

Leasing isn't for everybody, but there are some advantages over financing or paying cash that everybody who's in the market for a car should consider--without outright dismissing the option altogether.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads