• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HRoi
I'm down on Bynum. He's done it before and the wheels came off. You all can tell me "I told you so" later if I'm wrong.

Heck, we'll tell you now: like sex said above > 2 rings with Bynum. Might as well keep him through next year (last guaranteed on his contract, because next year and after the Lakers may become a very different team.
frown.gif

Spo is an idiot - imagine how much **** he's getting in that locker room for telling the media about the crying
lol8[1].gif
even if it's true you just don't give people that much ammunition.

So true. Listen to C-Webb just rip Spo apart here. What he says is 100% accurate.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You guys are proving my point for me. when Bynum is on the court and when he plays well, the Lakers win. Now, if he would do that all the time then the Lakes would always win and he'd be a star by definition

Edit - I don't mean to say that he's useless and they should trade him for garbage. I just don't think he's even close to the 2nd best center after D12

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
3 finals. 2 championships. what more do you want?

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
3 finals. 2 championships. what more do you want?

82 games?
laugh.gif

Don't get me wrong, I love Bynum...he's obviously a FORCE when he's healthy, but he's just so goddamn fragile. His knees are ticking time bombs.

I would take D Howard over Bynum, but that's it.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by embowafa
82 games?
laugh.gif

Don't get me wrong, I love Bynum...he's obviously a FORCE when he's healthy, but he's just so goddamn fragile. His knees are ticking time bombs.

yeah, it is always a gamble. and of course anybody would take d howard over bynum at this point. but i don't think that's really a viable option. i'd certainly take bynum over anthony, or bosh, or jason kidd for god's sake.

sexandcandy

Reaction score

Exactly my point. If it's not for Howard, then why give up the only comparable player?

Who do you think is the 2nd best center after D12?

I would like to know this as well. From a defensive and offensive standpoint.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This heat debacle (e.g., the crying game) is entertaining. Now bosh is throwing the coach under the bus.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by venessian
Who do you think is the 2nd best center after D12?
it's a good question. if you'd count Amare Stoudemire (admittedly a part-time center) then he's got my vote. of the guys who actually start at center, i'd say Al Horford and Al Jefferson are better than Bynum on a per game basis. if you consider that Bynum has only played 40 games this season so far, then i'd take 60-something games of Brook Lopez and Marc Gasol instead. actually if Lopez hadn't regressed so much in rebounding he'd be a lock for me as the 2nd best true center in the L

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sexandcandy
I would like to know this as well. From a defensive and offensive standpoint.

Hard to say, I think Bynums offense isn't that great, especially compared to Howards. Howard has greatly improved with Olajuwons help this past summer, I've actually seen Dwight do fade away jump shots and make it. Bynums a monster on defense but his offense repertoire isn't that great. To be honest, I'd put Pau ahead of Bynum. Pau might be soft at times but he can affect shots and his versatility in offense more than makes up for it. Al Horford is right there Bynum too, considering he is much smaller at 6'10", dude can defend well and again more versatile offensively. Kevin Love, he does play center at times. Boozer, Aldridge and Nene are good candidates as well.

For true centers, well there really isn't much out there these days so obviously with such a thin herd Bynum can easily be picked as the second best true center. I think he just compliments Pau really well, he makes a big difference when those two stand together but take out Pau and you see the Lakers deficiency on offense. Bogut comes to mind for a true center that can challenge Bynum for second place.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it's a good question. if you'd count Amare Stoudemire (admittedly a part-time center) then he's got my vote.

of the guys who actually start at center, i'd say Al Horford and Al Jefferson are better than Bynum on a per game basis. if you consider that Bynum has only played 40 games this season so far, then i'd take 60-something games of Brook Lopez and Marc Gasol instead.

actually if Lopez hadn't regressed so much in rebounding he'd be a lock for me as the 2nd best true center in the L

I'm surprised not to see Noah (I hate him, though) or Kaman (underrated, I think) and perhaps Bogut/Nene on your list. I consider them equal to those you mentioned. However, I don't think any of them are BETTER all around than Bynum. It's just very hard to buy that presence.

Horford is a glorified PF, like Stoudemire. Works his ass off, but isn't really a C.
Jefferson has knee issues like Bynum, and I don't think he's better. I like him though, and he could explode in a year or two if the injury fully heals. But again, more a natural PF.

I do think B Lopez and M Gasol are good. The Gasol bros together could be fun.

But I still think it's Howard #1, Bynum #2.

And no real legit NBA C is coming out of this year's draft. Sullinger and a couple of others may become very good, but as far as true big Cs go, Kanter? Who knows? Zeller? No way. Maybe Ezeli from Vanderbilt. Maybe Fab Melo. That guy from Oakland? Doesn't look like a good draft for Cs.

Point is, there are a decent number of Horfords/Jeffersons that come into the NBA each year more or less. Bynums are very rare.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Clippers Baby Clippers!!!

Led by 20 against Boston, Celtics comes back but they are holding on in that lead. Jordan, the worst ft shooter in the league sinks in 2 clutch free throws that should seal this game! Deandre Jordan on clutch time > Lebron!
lol8[1].gif

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why the hell are the media making such a big deal about Kevin Love and his 52 consecutive double-doubles? I like Love, but this is a bit much.

OK, 52 consecutive d-ds is a post-merger record but who really cares?

Hayes had 55, which Love will probably break. Wilt had 227, which Love will not break.

Plus, who cares about consecutive, really? That's a bit meaningles. So a guy got 9 boards instead of 10 one night, or went to the bench early. Big deal.

They can elevate Love when he does this:
Baylor averaged a double-double for an entire season 9 times.
Russell averaged a double-double for an entire season 12 times.
Kareem averaged a double-double for an entire season 12 times.
Wilt averaged a double-double for an entire season all 14 of his seasons, and he had 10 seasons where he averaged at least 20b-20p and 7 where he went 20b-30p.
Plus, Wilt had 10,000+ ladies, which I just don't see Love doing despite his name.
smile.gif

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
Clippers Baby Clippers!!!

Led by 20 against Boston, Celtics comes back but they are holding on in that lead. Jordan, the worst ft shooter in the league sinks in 2 clutch free throws that should seal this game! Deandre Jordan on clutch time > Lebron!
lol8[1].gif

The Mo trade was good for LAC.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hope Love stays with the Wolves. It be nice if he came back to LA, but I am glad he's in Minny where they are rebuilding since KG left.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads