• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

names we dislike

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
I like family names. Portuguese names (if you're Portuguese) are cool. Some of the more trendy names today (Tyler, Madison, Cody, Jackson, Dylan, etc.) are silly, but you can't blame the kidz....
teacha.gif

I think the most popular name last year was Aiden, after the dude Sarah Jessica Parker was having intercourse with on Sex in the City. Kinda sad. It might be a cool name if you were the only one.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Obnoxious English names. Some that come to mind:

Abner
Baldrick
Alistair
Archibald
Padgett
Willoughby.

Er, Conne, whether you find "Abner" obnoxious or not is another matter, but it is most definitely not English. It is Hebrew. Abner was a prominent figure in the Kingdom of Israel under David and Saul. You can read about him in First and Second Samuel.

I might mention I have never cared much for my first name. "Jan" is fine in places where it is the accepted version "John," but here in the states it exotic, chronically mispronounced and confused with the girl's name.

Andrew V.

Reaction score
I dislike a lot of names, but in particular I dislike trendy or pseudo-classy names, especially surnames used as first names, and anything ending in a schwa + N sound, such as:

Aiden
Jaden
Braden
Caden
Hayden (notice a pattern yet?)
Madison
Devon
Katelyn (and other bastardizations of Caitlin/Kathleen)
Harrison
Anderson
Jackson (the proper first-name equivalents of such surnames are fine)

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
Oh yeah, I also think that making judgments about people based on their first name is really lame (i.e., "I can't take anyone named Brent seriously.").

That's good because my name is unisex. I'd hate to think that anyone that heard my name would make a judgement that i was in to things like pretty shoes, wearing pink, and handbags, just because of my name.
laugh.gif

Mike

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Andrew V.
I dislike a lot of names, but in particular I dislike trendy or pseudo-classy names, especially surnames used as first names, and anything ending in a schwa + N sound, such as:

Aiden
Jaden
Braden
Caden
Hayden (notice a pattern yet?)
Madison
Devon
Katelyn (and other bastardizations of Caitlin/Kathleen)
Harrison
Anderson
Jackson (the proper first-name equivalents of such surnames are fine)

Ugh! I was just coming on here to post my hate of the first 5, since I can't stand the recent rash of Aiden-esqe names. The rest suck too, unless you're talking about Anderson Cooper or Jackson Brown, who are both cool.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by seanchai
Sha-vee-air, like Xabi Alonso. Although I find this "you can only say it like the Basque (or the French or the Spanish)" a little stupid, as by this logic you could ONLY say it with the original pronunciation. It was absorbed into French and Spanish lexicons, why not American English?
because when you say it in spanish, it sounds like a spanish word. it flows, and does not sound foreign. if you say it in english, it is an awkward, ugly name. and it is obviously foreign. like when americans name their son 'andre', and the kid goes around his whole life calling himself andre, and it just sounds like he can't pronounce his own name. another example is the central americans who give their kids names like richard, or washington, and of course they say it with a thick accent. it sounds ridiculous.

Originally Posted by yachtie
I always heard it pronounced ha-vee-air or ha-bee air. Pronouncing it zay-vee-air sounds pretty bizarre to my ear.

'zah-vee-eh' is the french pronunciation, which is likely the source of the english one.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's pronounced with a hard "g" sound in front of the "z" sound in French:

gzah-viÃ
00a9.png

contactme_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some of you sound like pretty resentful people. It's true, some people do have lousy names, but why make fun of them?

ts4them

Reaction score
Apple. That name alone is enough reason to loathe Gwyneth Paltrow. We didn't need another reason.

alexei

Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
your mother's name is ee-vet-ah. please don't say 'uh'. and ya-vet-uh is not less correct, it's completely incorrect.
Yes, -ah is how it's pronounced, but since it's not the stressed syllable, -uh was close enough in type for me to get the meaning across. Sorry, I didn't use the correct pronunciation key. I was pointing out the long e sound as the issue. You're the best.

And actually if I pronounce my mother's name incorrectly, I'm not concerned. Maybe it's a sign of my contempt for her (but, alas that's a thread that belongs elsewhere).

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bergdorf Goodwill
Gavin, Ian, Colin, and all those other "OH HAI BROZ MY DADZ THE SOCCER COACH" names. **** you.

Stay out of Ireland then, and save yourself a ****-kicking ...

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, and I despise those English names that are of indeterminate gender.

Not to mention ridiculous spelling variants, the provenance of which I presume are illiterate parents.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics