• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My New OneShoe, by Alfred Sargent

emptym

Reaction score
They arrived a few days ago, and I love them. Perhaps too much. Like our friend Mafoo, I seek simplicity. And if I could only have one shoe, OK one pair (RJ), these would be the ones.

Why? First, because they're versatile: They go well with anything from jeans to suits, perhaps even a tux (certainly better than burgundy shell longwings
devil.gif
). Second, because they're practical: As slip ons, they're easy on/off. Perfect for when you're late at the beginning of the day or tired at its end, which I usually am. With their Dainite soles, they're stable on wet surfaces, uneven pavement, bicycle/motorcycle commutes, or mad dashes to the train (Huntsman?). The little round lugs give me just enough grip for when my nephew starts a spontaneous game of football on the grass or when I decide to walk up an unpaved hill. I'm sure they'll be my first choice for travel: gliding through security, easy off at takeoff, easy on when landing, coping w/ unpredictable weather, trekking across different types of ground w/ luggage, etc. Third, because they're beautiful: I have and like full brogues, half-brogues, various shades of brown and burgundy, suede and shell. But there's something elegant about a plain pair of black calfskin slip ons.

So much for the design. Why this manufacturer? A few years ago, on eBay, I bought a pair of black suede slip-ons made by Alfred Sargent. They were NOS from a now-defunct NYC shoe store, Tootsi Plohound. Solidly constructed and fit like a dream. So comfortable. They've been my favorite shoes for the past few years, even compared to Alden oxfords, Rider Boots, EGs for RL, C&Js, pre-Prada Churches, vintage Florsheims, Gucci loafers, and similar slip ons by Nettleton, Sanders, and Bally. So when I heard that Alfred Sargent had a new MTO program, I decided to order my dream shoe:
zBaN4.jpg

Below, w/ similar pairs:
4hUOF.jpg

From l to r: vintage Nettletons, the Alfred Sargents, Sanders, and the older, suede Sargents. I won't be needing the Sanders, so I'll give them to my brother. The Nettletons I'll keep out of respect for their history and probably to use w/ formal wear. They have nice channeled leather soles. And I've grown to love the cracking.
imgp3709.jpg

A shot from below, showing the mini lugs of the always controversial Dainite sole:
imgp3675.jpg
They're on AS's 99 last, size 9 EX (UK). Just for comparison, here they are next to Nettletons (10.5 C US), Aldens on the Hampton last (10 B/D US) and Sanders (9 FX UK).
imgp3683i.jpg
Now, lest one think I only like black, I've ordered a pair of brown balmoral boots from AS. Hopefully they'll arrive in time for Christmas!

emptym

Reaction score
^
laugh.gif

My socks are actually light gray but the flash makes them appear white, and the pants are raised from sitting.

But as Michael's looks go, that's not a bad one. Reminds me of our old school uniforms. White shirt, dark navy pants (usually short since we were always outgrowing them), white socks and black or navy shoes.

Last edited:

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
so they finally came. congratulations brother!! pretty good with the white jeans. they won't go with your motorcycle jacket though!
smile.gif

emptym

Reaction score
Thanks F! But are you sure about that last point? What do you think?:
black6qz2.jpg
These are actually the Nettletons, taken a year or so ago. Different pants too, not the Cornells. Have you checked him out yet?

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I like them.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Congratulations on your newfound inner balance. There are many shoes in the universe but, to each, only one OneShoe.

Originally Posted by RJman
I like them.

Better than the Foofwing???

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emptym
Thanks F! But are you sure about that last point? What do you think?:

black6qz2.jpg

These are actually the Nettletons, taken a year or so ago. Different pants too, not the Cornells. Have you checked him out yet?

okay I take it back.
teacha.gif

sorry, have I checked who out?

btw (OT) how's your plan to have a jacket made by Al?

factorial

Reaction score
Nice shape and super practical; those would make great traveling shoes with the laceless & rubber sole construction. I like them.

emptym

Reaction score
^Thanks!
Originally Posted by RJman
I like them.
I thank you.
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Congratulations on your newfound inner balance. There are many shoes in the universe but, to each, only one OneShoe...
Thanks! And well said.
Originally Posted by maxnharry
I like them-how long did they take to make and how much?
It took a few months. I got in right before they finalized prices for their new MTO program, and I ordered Dainite soles, so it was more than their normal RTW prices but less than their new premium program that Groover and ClintonF have used. One of them posted details of the program and pictures of their much nicer soles w/ fiddled waists, etc.
Originally Posted by acidicboy
...sorry, have I checked who out? btw (OT) how's your plan to have a jacket made by Al?
The tailor in Makati that I always mention in threads about the Philippines. I haven't been to Al's yet. Maybe next week!

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Finally. Good for you, man. They look great.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emptym
The tailor in Makati that I always mention in threads about the Philippines.
I haven't been to Al's yet. Maybe next week!

Oh yeah, Cornell's. I haven't been going out much with that flood last week. I'm also kinda on the No Purchase Club right now with some of our resources put in the victims' relief effort.

Say hi to Al, Al and the nice lady with the puppy for me!
smile.gif

Neofinitia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are quite nice. Not for me, but quite noice. It looks great with the motorcycle outfit.

I would not dare wear them with shorts.

emptym

Reaction score
Soon, you will be back in pants.
Originally Posted by Baron
Finally. Good for you, man. They look great.
Thanks. It took some discipline not to get your brown pair.
Originally Posted by acidicboy
Oh yeah, Cornell's. I haven't been going out much with that flood last week. I'm also kinda on the No Purchase Club right now with some of our resources put in the victims' relief effort.

Say hi to Al, Al and the nice lady with the puppy for me!
smile.gif

Sheesh! I kept meaning to pm you. I'm glad you're OK. My fam is too. One cousin had to walk a few miles home in the flooding, but they're all good, thank God.

Will do.
wink.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics