1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

My New OneShoe, by Alfred Sargent

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by emptym, Oct 2, 2009.

1. emptym

emptym Well-Known Member

They arrived a few days ago, and I love them. Perhaps too much. Like our friend Mafoo, I seek simplicity. And if I could only have one shoe, OK one pair (RJ), these would be the ones.

Why? First, because they're versatile: They go well with anything from jeans to suits, perhaps even a tux (certainly better than burgundy shell longwings [​IMG]). Second, because they're practical: As slip ons, they're easy on/off. Perfect for when you're late at the beginning of the day or tired at its end, which I usually am. With their Dainite soles, they're stable on wet surfaces, uneven pavement, bicycle/motorcycle commutes, or mad dashes to the train (Huntsman?). The little round lugs give me just enough grip for when my nephew starts a spontaneous game of football on the grass or when I decide to walk up an unpaved hill. I'm sure they'll be my first choice for travel: gliding through security, easy off at takeoff, easy on when landing, coping w/ unpredictable weather, trekking across different types of ground w/ luggage, etc. Third, because they're beautiful: I have and like full brogues, half-brogues, various shades of brown and burgundy, suede and shell. But there's something elegant about a plain pair of black calfskin slip ons.

So much for the design. Why this manufacturer? A few years ago, on eBay, I bought a pair of black suede slip ons made by Alfred Sargent. They were NOS from a defunct NYC shoe store. Solidly constructed and fit like a dream. So comfortable. They've been my favorite shoes for the past few years, even compared to Alden oxfords, Rider Boots, EGs for RL, C&Js, pre-Prada Churches, vintage Florsheims, Gucci loafers, and similar slip ons by Nettleton, Sanders, and Bally. So when I heard that Alfred Sargent had a new MTO program, I decided to order my dream shoe: [​IMG] Below, w/ similar pairs: [​IMG] From l to r: vintage Nettletons, the Alfred Sargents, Sanders, and the older, suede Sargents. I won't be needing the Sanders (corrected grain, blobby, pigskin lining, plastic heel), so I'll give them to my brother. The Nettletons I'll keep out of respect for their history and probably to use w/ formal wear. They have nice channeled leather soles. And I've grown to love the cracking. Here w/ white 501s: [​IMG] Now dressed up (pants by Cornell's in Manila, socks by Uniqlo): [​IMG] The shoes in natural light after a day's wear: [​IMG] A shot from below, showing the mini lugs of the always controversial Dainite sole: [​IMG] They're on AS's 99 last, size 9 EX (UK). Just for comparison, here they are next to Nettletons (10.5 C US), Aldens on the Hampton last (10 B/D US) and Sanders (9 FX UK). [​IMG] Now, lest one think I only like black, I've ordered a pair of brown balmoral boots from AS. Hopefully they'll arrive in time for Christmas!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  2. benjamin831

benjamin831 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] Seriously, I would like them more if they weren't so plain. Perhaps throw in some tassels or a moc-toe.

3. emptym

emptym Well-Known Member

^[​IMG]
    My socks are actually light gray but the flash makes them appear white.

But as Michael's looks go, that's not a bad one. Reminds me of our old school uniforms. White shirt, dark navy pants (usually short since we were always outgrowing them), white socks and black or navy shoes.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  4. acidboy

acidboy Well-Known Member

so they finally came. congratulations brother!! pretty good with the white jeans. they won't go with your motorcycle jacket though! [​IMG]

5. emptym

emptym Well-Known Member

Thanks F! But are you sure about that last point? What do you think?: [​IMG] These are actually the Nettletons, taken a year or so ago. Different pants too, not the Cornells. Have you checked him out yet?

6. RJman

RJman Well-Known Member

I like them.

7. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your newfound inner balance. There are many shoes in the universe but, to each, only one OneShoe.

I like them.

Better than the Foofwing???

8. maxnharry

maxnharry Well-Known Member

I like them-how long did they take to make and how much?

9. acidboy

Thanks F! But are you sure about that last point? What do you think?:

[​IMG]

These are actually the Nettletons, taken a year or so ago. Different pants too, not the Cornells. Have you checked him out yet?

okay I take it back. [​IMG]

sorry, have I checked who out?

btw (OT) how's your plan to have a jacket made by Al?

10. factorial

factorial Well-Known Member

Nice shape and super practical; those would make great traveling shoes with the laceless & rubber sole construction. I like them.

11. emptym

emptym Well-Known Member

^Thanks!
    I like them.
    I thank you.
    Congratulations on your newfound inner balance. There are many shoes in the universe but, to each, only one OneShoe...
    Thanks! And well said.
    I like them-how long did they take to make and how much?
    It took a few months. I got in right before they finalized prices for their new MTO program, and I ordered Dainite soles, so it was more than their normal RTW prices but less than their new premium program that Groover and ClintonF have used. One of them posted details of the program and pictures of their much nicer soles w/ fiddled waists, etc.
    ...sorry, have I checked who out? btw (OT) how's your plan to have a jacket made by Al?
    The tailor in Makati that I always mention in threads about the Philippines. I haven't been to Al's yet. Maybe next week!

12. Baron

Baron Well-Known Member

Finally. Good for you, man. They look great.

13. acidboy

The tailor in Makati that I always mention in threads about the Philippines.
    I haven't been to Al's yet. Maybe next week!

Oh yeah, Cornell's. I haven't been going out much with that flood last week. I'm also kinda on the No Purchase Club right now with some of our resources put in the victims' relief effort.

Say hi to Al, Al and the nice lady with the puppy for me! [​IMG]

14. Neofinitia

Neofinitia Well-Known Member

Those are quite nice. Not for me, but quite noice. It looks great with the motorcycle outfit.

I would not dare wear them with shorts.

15. emptym

emptym Well-Known Member

Soon, you will be back in pants.
    Finally. Good for you, man. They look great.
    Thanks. It took some discipline not to get your brown pair.
    Oh yeah, Cornell's. I haven't been going out much with that flood last week. I'm also kinda on the No Purchase Club right now with some of our resources put in the victims' relief effort.

Say hi to Al, Al and the nice lady with the puppy for me! [​IMG]

Sheesh! I kept meaning to pm you. I'm glad you're OK. My fam is too. One cousin had to walk a few miles home in the flooding, but they're all good, thank God.

Will do.[​IMG]

16. clintonf

clintonf Well-Known Member

Hi, if I'd have just seen them on their own, I would have thought "nice, but not for me". However, they look surprising good on your feet. Well done. You've really got me thinking about having a pair done.

I guess this does go to show that the proof is in the wearing.

Enjoy and wear in good health.

Look forward to seeing your boots.

Clint

17. Christofuh

Christofuh Well-Known Member

18. culverwood

culverwood Well-Known Member

Great shoes. I love them.

So similar to the C&J Kempton one of my favourites.

19. lee_44106

lee_44106 Well-Known Member

Unlike marriage partners, I cannot just stick with one when it comes to shoes.

But to each his own, enjoy your OneShoe[​IMG]

20. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

Those are quite nice. Not for me, but quite noice. It looks great with the motorcycle outfit.

I would not dare wear them with shorts.

Nice shoes. They're not a style I prefer, but they're quite nice.