• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MTM, tweed addict, Connick and Locke, Sims and Mac Donald

bboysdontcryy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You're right (of course) there doesn't seem to be any point in sourcing the cloth separately.
£800 is a big difference in hand stitching, perhaps I could negotiate?
So is £750 for a suit from tweed addict less than 1600 from Connie and Locke.

It's not just the hand-stitching. It's the expertise you're paying for, the fact that the coat might fit better than another, and might have a more elegant shape etc.

Macallan

Reaction score
I cannot comment on Tweed Addict; however, if you are looking at other options, I can recommend Cad & The Dandy - they have made me a tweed jacket in a heavy Johnston of Elgin cloth.

burtonbradstock

Reaction score
Thanks, I seem to be warming to sims and Macdonald, connock is too expensive and I would prefer to go somewhere with some history. I'll let you know how I get on.
My budget was £1500, so that fits (if you excuse the Punn) Still not sure though.....

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks, I seem to be warming to sims and Macdonald, connock is too expensive and I would prefer to go somewhere with some history. I'll let you know how I get on.
My budget was £1500, so that fits (if you excuse the Punn) Still not sure though.....

If your budget is around that, I think Cad& the Dandy London bespoke is a good choice. Sims aren't that good from my friend's stuff.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

burtonbradstock

Reaction score
May I also ask:
What's the best way to choose the style, cut etc.
I presume I choose the cloth then we discuss the style, but what options do I have?
Should I bring in pictures?

burtonbradstock

Reaction score

If your budget is around that, I think Cad& the Dandy London bespoke is a good choice. Sims aren't that good from my friend's stuff.

Why don't you rate Sims, it's just that a few people do.
I'm getting married in Cornwall and tweed seemed appropriate and different, plus, I'm going to wear it when I sing English songs.

burtonbradstock

Reaction score
Sims ate charging £1600 for a fully bespoke (although machine stitched) can I get a bespoke suit from catd? I thought they sent the cloth off to Japan or similar?

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Why don't you rate Sims, it's just that a few people do.
I'm getting married in Cornwall and tweed seemed appropriate and different, plus, I'm going to wear it when I sing English songs.

I will rate Sims cuts a bit better than Graham Browne, they have slightly better eyes and will suggest correction that leads the herd.
I don't think Cornwall is really cold enough for any real tweed. For a british warm weather suit, it might be good to go tan worsted. It just seems out of place to wear a cold weather garment in a warm place. Personally, I think stroller is the best for weddings, not proper yet not relaxed. Most people should have a well fitted dark jacket, just get a pair of fancy trouser, job done.

Cad & the Dandy still have local fittings, even main construction work is out-sourced (still in UK). You can have Mr. Brown or Mr. Deboise to cut the patterns for you and provide the fittings, both are good at their work.

If you think Tweed are appropriate because of the location and the presumed entertainment, Thats fine. However tweed are meant for leisure suiting and not for these big days, if you ask the majority of members here, you will get the same answer.

Last edited:

burtonbradstock

Reaction score
Stro

I will rate Sims cuts a bit better than Graham Browne, they have slightly better eyes and will suggest correction that leads the herd.
I don't think Cornwall is really cold enough for any real tweed. For a british warm weather suit, it might be good to go tan worsted. It just seems out of place to wear a cold weather garment in a warm place. Personally, I think stroller is the best for weddings, not proper yet not relaxed. Most people should have a well fitted dark jacket, just get a pair of fancy trouser, job done.

Cad & the Dandy still have local fittings, even main construction work is out-sourced (still in UK). You can have Mr. Brown or Mr. Deboise to cut the patterns for you and provide the fittings, both are good at their work.

If you think Tweed are appropriate because of the location and the presumed entertainment, Thats fine. However tweed are meant for leisure suiting and not for these big days, if you ask the majority of members here, you will get the same answer.[/quote

"Stroller" are you from the States?

I appreciate your opinion, and am aware of the protocol. I want something different.

I'll probably choose either 12 - 14oz or worster alsport as a lighter cloth.

I'm really trying to find out the best tailor in respect to bespoke and price descrepencies.

burtonbradstock

Reaction score

If you think Tweed are appropriate because of the location and the presumed entertainment, Thats fine. However tweed are meant for leisure suiting and not for these big days, if you ask the majority of members here, you will get the same answer.

Are you from the States? "Stroller"

I'll keep looking thanks.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you don't know anything about tailoring, don't go in with a mind to tell the tailor what to do. Go with the house style. The prices seem to have gone up significantly from when I enquired in both only a few years ago - back then it was £850 in Sims & MacDonald for a two piece.

Do be very careful with the weight of the cloth - I had a tweed three piece which was basically unwearable in London at any point of the year.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads