• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MTM suits Toronto - ceiling $1,100 - no one found?

clambake

Reaction score
So first post, I need a couple new suits for work and came across this forum (learned a lot about suits in the process!). After digging through the search function, I came up with a couple tailors I've reached out to. I'm getting mixed results:

1) Garrison Bespoke (fka Fifth on King)

- Minimum $1,200 for the "most basic suit you can buy", my contact said I'd be looking at something closer to $1,500 all-in.

2) Trend Custom Tailors

- Minimum $1,500 starting for a plain navy suit, and would take 9 weeks to complete (pretty new to MTM, but that seems kind of long)

3) Gotsyle

-Minimum $1,300 for any kind of MTM suit.

Is this the new reality? I read threads where you could get a quality suit for $800-$1000, but is that a thing of the past? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Maximus Mark

Reaction score
Traveling or online tailors (ie. Hemrajani, Thick as Thieves, Kent Wang) can be had for the $1000 mark. They will be made in Asia.

Local tailors for $1500 is reasonable, and your first MTM will not be perfect. It takes 2-3 suits to achieve near perfection with a new tailor.

Of those above I highly recommend Trend.

clambake

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice Maximus. Of the people I talked to, Gotstyle seemed the most reasonable, so I'll probably just drop by as it's close to me. I'm a professional in my mid 20s, a lot of these guys sound like they deal with people in the strata of my MDs.

Last edited:

dufferin1

Reaction score
I haven't purchased suit at Gotstyle, but have purchased numerous casual items. Very good service and I am sure they can help you. I have heard that the gentleman doing the suit section is a tad arrogant but that doesn't matter considering the store is great. Let me know how you make out, as I may look at getting a MTM there as well.

clambake

Reaction score
Will keep you updated. I'm also looking at IM-Label, heard a lot of decent things and the price seems reasonable, any opinions?

Ivon

Reaction score
SH Spiro on the Danforth is just over your target price, but is around there at event time. I've seen some pieces and he looks very decent for the price.

clambake

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies

CousinDonuts: Unfortunately, given my job, I need to order the suits ASAP. I'm usually a Brooks Brothers kind of guy but I've been wanting to branch out into something more MTM (and their MTM is still $1500+, which I feel I could do better elsewhere for that price).

Ivon: I've done some research on Spiro and the two actual photos I came across seem to show more conservative/"boxy" suits. While I'm sure this isn't largely the case, I don't feel its something I can take a risk on right now.

That being said, I'm going to check out Gotstyle and IM-Label. I'll report back on further developments!

AB01

Reaction score
1) Garrison Bespoke

There's a lot of info on these forums about them. Although I am happy with their service, friendliness, customization, and all that, my suit jacket is very loose on me for some reason. I guess it can be tailored, as long as the shoulders fit, but I do find that extra tailoring odd for bespoke.
Sleeves are slim and length is just as I asked. Chest, waist and hips need to come in a lot. Anyone else a customer of theirs want to try their suit jacket on and tell me how much you can pull it out in front?

Ivon

Reaction score
The Samuelson event at Rosen was a couple of months ago. Even if you choose the slimmest cut (Gable), it may not be slim enough for some readers. MTM is just customization of a stock pattern to your measurements/specs. If you ask for a more fitted suit, any decent tailor should be able to do it. I sometimes wonder if some misguided types confuse well made MTM with too tight to breathe. I've been to Garrison, the suit is pretty fitted for the most part, any tighter might border on ridiculous, especially at those prices. People will only hear what they want to hear. Hope it works out for you with Gotstyle, but quality of work should trump passing fashion fads.

Firefox

Reaction score
Just to ressurect this thread, I wanted to point out that Rego Bespoke (located in First Canadian Place) also does Samuelsohn MTM, but they apparently offer year-round "discount" prices. In other words, the MTM prices that Rosen offers twice a year during their trunk shows are the prices that Rego offers all the time.

That being said, even with the discount, I believe that a Samuelsohn MTM suit starts at around $1220 (with basic fabric and no add-ons). I would suspect that most suits would end up costing closer to $1400 (including the discount). Of course, that's still a lot better than most other full-canvased MTM options, at least in Canada. I don't know what a Canali MTM runs for (if you are able to find a retailer that even offers it), but I suspect it would run you $1900-$2500. And as others have pointed out, the quality and construction of Samuelsohn isn't a huge step-down from some of the top-end makers.

I can't speak to the overall quality of service from Rego, as I've only ever bought a pair of shoes there. However, I believe there are at least a few people on Styleforum who have done MTM there, so they may be able to comment further.

dufferin1

Reaction score
The Samuelson event at Rosen was a couple of months ago. Even if you choose the slimmest cut (Gable), it may not be slim enough for some readers. MTM is just customization of a stock pattern to your measurements/specs. If you ask for a more fitted suit, any decent tailor should be able to do it. I sometimes wonder if some misguided types confuse well made MTM with too tight to breathe. I've been to Garrison, the suit is pretty fitted for the most part, any tighter might border on ridiculous, especially at those prices. People will only hear what they want to hear. Hope it works out for you with Gotstyle, but quality of work should trump passing fashion fads.
Honestly,I have to slightly change my opinion on Gotstyle for suits. The casual./business side looks great but I've seen pictures of people in their Gotstyle suits (Not MTM) and they just don't look right. Either too tight, or far too much pulling everywhere. Not impressed.

Firefox

Reaction score
I'm still trying to decide who go to for the MTM suit I'll be doing for my wedding. A friend got his done through GotStyle and recommended them. Of course, he also insisted that it was a "bespoke" suit. I tried to explain to him the difference between made to measure and true bespoke, but gave up after a minute or two. I don't want to be one of "those guys".
smile.gif

Last edited:

jamesphw

Reaction score
Just to ressurect this thread, I wanted to point out that Rego Bespoke (located in First Canadian Place) also does Samuelsohn MTM, but they apparently offer year-round "discount" prices. In other words, the MTM prices that Rosen offers twice a year during their trunk shows are the prices that Rego offers all the time.

That being said, even with the discount, I believe that a Samuelsohn MTM suit starts at around $1220 (with basic fabric and no add-ons). I would suspect that most suits would end up costing closer to $1400 (including the discount). Of course, that's still a lot better than most other full-canvased MTM options, at least in Canada. I don't know what a Canali MTM runs for (if you are able to find a retailer that even offers it), but I suspect it would run you $1900-$2500. And as others have pointed out, the quality and construction of Samuelsohn isn't a huge step-down from some of the top-end makers.

I can't speak to the overall quality of service from Rego, as I've only ever bought a pair of shoes there. However, I believe there are at least a few people on Styleforum who have done MTM there, so they may be able to comment further.

I've seen Rego advertise $899 for their MtM suits, although that advertised price normally means you have to add $2-300 for a fabric you would want. Hearing what you said about quality, I'm now tempted to go to Rego for a MtM suit. Hmm.

Also, for MtM there is a dressmaker in North York (Chin Alterations & Tailor) that will order MtM from tailors in China and his prices are between $600-$1000, but I don't know what the quality is. He's about two doors down from Rosso's Bespoke tailor.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads