• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moving to Boston next week. What should I do?

BeaconHillBoston

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CunningSmeagol
I find myself wondering if you read any of the threads you post in.

No I do not (aside from the first couple pages -- if I am asked to state MY OPINION on a topic).

The op asked for recommendations on what to do when he moves to Boston. Since I have lived in every area of Boston at one time or another, and since I am giving my OPINION (and or take) on how I see things, I'm not to concerned if I make a point that might have been touched on before, because again, I am giving my take on things, and that might be different than someone else who touched on the same point.

Perhaps you should worry less about what I'm doing (if I am not breaking the rules) and focus on yourself.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Def think it's a bit different than the tone of the thread. The suggestions while they have good quality food are a bit sterile and boring for me I've been to some of those places. The food is good at most, but you can find good food a lot of places. The bar scene you listed sounds a bit too sterile for me. I've been dragged to 2 of the places and others like it and it's usually kinda boring imo. Stuffy businessmen/lawyers and golddiggers (an exaggeration but yea, not my thing) Most people were listing uniquely boston type things. I definitely think most here are looking for different kinds of stuff. Like hidden dives and stuff like that Also, if anyone likes watching club soccer, Phoenix Landing is good. I know they were swamped for all the world cup games and the official bar (along with banshee in dorchester) of the American Outlaws http://www.theamericanoutlaws.com/ for those who don't know. Pretty great to go there for US related soccer stuff. Kinda too late now but in 2 years when qualifying starts or when other friendlies and tourneys happen definitely check it out as it's a unique US soccer experience (they started in new england i think)

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dumpling House in Chinatown is also very good. As the name implies, order the dumplings.

--Andre

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BeaconHillBoston
No I do not (aside from the first couple pages -- if I am asked to state MY OPINION on a topic).

The op asked for recommendations on what to do when he moves to Boston. Since I have lived in every area of Boston at one time or another, and since I am giving my OPINION (and or take) on how I see things, I'm not to concerned if I make a point that might have been touched on before, because again, I am giving my take on things, and that might be different than someone else who touched on the same point.

Perhaps you should worry less about what I'm doing (if I am not breaking the rules) and focus on yourself.

I was not passing judgment; I just noticed you had not recommended that he check out the great Gap in the Cambridgeside mall or that crazy Freedom Trail that no one's heard of.

chronoaug

Reaction score
gap on newbury is the only gap for me
cool.gif

BeaconHillBoston

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CunningSmeagol
I was not passing judgment; I just noticed you had not recommended that he check out the great Gap in the Cambridgeside mall or that crazy Freedom Trail that no one's heard of.

Both Bond and Liberty lobby are not something an out of towner would know about.

I doubt you live in the city.

That, or your to old to know what I am talking about.

chronoaug

Reaction score
Yea, Liberty/Clink/Alibi are kinda neat for the novelty factor. For those who don't know, the old Charlestown jail is now the Liberty hotel. Clink is the restaurant in there and Alibi is the bar (the old drunk tank ironically). The scene there isn't necessarily my thing but it's cool to go once for the jail novelty.

bassmanpatsfan18

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
Actually was just there this weekend with mom, sister and brother who were visiting. Had dinner at the daily catch for the first time and it was fantastic. My brother and i split the gigantic lobster fra diavolo. Was a pound and a half of lobster (tails, body, claws), clams, mussels, calamari in a nice red sauce. Was massive and tasty.

The daily catch is great. Good suggestion for a newcomer to the area--I don't know too many people who actually know about that place.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BeaconHillBoston
Both Bond and Liberty lobby are not something an out of towner would know about.

I doubt you live in the city.

That, or your to old to know what I am talking about.

Look, all us gay men on this forum want to do is get along and possibly meet up. We're not about fighting. If you and I can get past our differences, it looks like we've got the venue all picked out!

OP, have you heard of Fenway Park?

chronoaug

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bassmanpatsfan18
The daily catch is great. Good suggestion for a newcomer to the area--I don't know too many people who actually know about that place.

I dunno. Pretty big time now though. The North end one is crazy small but the waterfront one next to barking crab is huge and they just reopened the old one in brookline (on harvard st between comm and beacon). I've heard the waterfront location kinda sucks though because it's so big that the cooks and waitstaff are stretched thinner and the food/service is not as consistent. So be warned on that. I live like half a mile from the brookline one so will definitely check it out for near by dinner when i don't want to deal with the T

BeaconHillBoston

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
I dunno. Pretty big time now though. The North end one is crazy small but the waterfront one next to barking crab is huge and they just reopened the old one in brookline (on harvard st between comm and beacon). I've heard the waterfront location kinda sucks though because it's so big that the cooks and waitstaff are stretched thinner and the food/service is not as consistent. So be warned on that. I live like half a mile from the brookline one so will definitely check it out for near by dinner when i don't want to deal with the T

I used to eat at the northend location often when I lived there, and frankly, (like you said) you can get the same cuisine in a much better setting on the waterfront.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I recommend the Gap in the Cambridgeside Mall and the Freedom Trail.

Fenway Park, too.

- B

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do yourself a favor before it's too late and all the yuppies find it - check out the Charles River. Also, this tip is for insiders only - **** I am so on the fence right now on whether I should post this on a public gay message board.... the cover charges are outrageous but totally worth it... k, here goes -

Logan International Airport.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads