• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mountain or Road Bike??

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
Sounds dangerous.
facepalm.gif

+1 I would highly recommend somewhat not do this. I've had problems where my front tire didn't hook up on the trails, and those were 2.35's. I couldn't imagine the issues one would have with 23C tire.

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get a mountain bike. If you're going to be riding around town on it, get some slick tires.

henripoincare

Reaction score
totally depends on where you get your motivation and exhilaration from ... if you like riding for the exhaustion, the miles on the road, and as a fitness/health regime, then do the road thing, plus it is more social because you can ride with a pack of like-minded buddies.

but there is also great thrill and fun coming from the technical stuff off-road ... bendy single-trails, muddy conditions, small drops, rocky downhills ... it is less a serious exercise but has a bit more video-game character to it. if that is what keeps you going (it is for me) then get a proper mtb ... and not a single-speeder or fixie either.

cheers.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just picked up an old used Trek 820 mtn bike, but will mostly be riding it on wide gravel jogging trails to begin with.

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As an all rounder I have a custom built Dave Yates Wayfarer 26in wheeled tourer with Conti Top Touring tyres and rack mounts front and back. Good for long days on the road and around town as well as lugging loads up hill but not as quick as a narrow tyred lightweight road bike. It has lots of low gears for off road but no suspension.

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mostly mountain biker nowadays. Unfortunately, here in L.A. most of the drivers are idiots, and worse of all, many of the road cyclists are even bigger idiots.

surfnbank

Reaction score
I like my mountain bike only because I go on some trails once in awhile and found that the road bike just couldn't handle what I needed it to although it was by far the best on the road. If you are thinking about going off the beaten path at all I would heavily suggest getting a mountain bike or at least a hybrid.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads