• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Motorcycles

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by faustian bargain
...is that a moose on your shirt?
nah im just happy to see you Andrew
smile.gif

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
okidokie, got myself a Bonus...

When I bought it, looked like this:

Pretty good condition for $150 huh. Running very very well, body in good order, but still suffering from a couple of the hallmarks of Bonus (square light, weird handlebars...)

So, a trip down to Chinatown took care of that, handlebars $8, light $12, fitting free:

And this is how she looks now:

Took it from there to be resprayed in a metallic pearl purple color, it comes back on Thursday (which is Vietnamese for Saturday if I am lucky, but since I am laid up at the moment anyhow, it doesnt really matter), another $50 for the respray.

Will change the exhaust when I am up and around again ($15 ish), also will change the gauges (they are cracked at the bottom and the tacho needles is missing anyhow), another $15 or so, then ill be done.

Not bad for $250 huh?

Got it back yesterday....

Next: Exhaust and new seat, maybe a disk brake...then done.

What do you guys think of the color?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
Got it back yesterday....

Next: Exhaust and new seat, maybe a disk brake...then done.

What do you guys think of the color?

Where's the engine?
biggrin.gif

I think the color is a little lighter than the one you were intending to copy, no?

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I love the look of the Triumph Bonneville...

TRIUMPH_bonneville.jpg

If I could just convince my wife to let me get a bike
smile.gif

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
I love the look of the Triumph Bonneville...
TRIUMPH_bonneville.jpg
If I could just convince my wife to let me get a bike
smile.gif

I love those. They look great (especially the color). Unfortunately, I haven't read particularly good reviews about them. They seem to be inexpensive until you see what you can get in a sport bike from Yamaha or Suzuki for just about the same price.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ah - there, see m@t, if you could get your forks and frame redone in black, i think that would improve the appearance of your purple bonus.

bonus.

that's a fun word to say.

also i really think you need a logo on the sides of your tank. that, or an airbrushed betty page.

Martinis at 8

Reaction score
I forgot how good those Bonneville's look.

For beginners I would advise buying a small (250cc or lower) used bike, like a Honda Rebel. Drive it for a year or so, and then if you decide you really like riding then upgrade to a larger bike if you feel the need. If you are in the USA I would also highly recommend taking an MSF course. Even experienced riders learn new things in the MSF course, and it will lower your insurance bill in some states.

M8

Kevin

Reaction score
I'm just learning to ride, and have been looking for a cheap 250 for a few weeks now.

However I've got a lead on a 1981 Yamaha 650 Special II, 5,000 original miles for $1,250. My primary reservation is the size of the bike. That seems like way too much power for a beginner, but the bike was well cared for and hardly ridden, so I could probably recoup my losses if I get skittish about the engine size. Should I jump on the deal or wait until I find something more in my experience range?

The MSF course is definitely on the agenda for this summer.

Martinis at 8

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kevin
I'm just learning to ride, and have been looking for a cheap 250 for a few weeks now.

However I've got a lead on a 1981 Yamaha 650 Special II, 5,000 original miles for $1,250. My primary reservation is the size of the bike. That seems like way too much power for a beginner, but the bike was well cared for and hardly ridden, so I could probably recoup my losses if I get skittish about the engine size. Should I jump on the deal or wait until I find something more in my experience range?

Buy the bike. That's a good deal. Don't ride the bike until after you do the MSF course. The MSF course should teach you on a 250.

M8

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I don't think that's too much power for a beginner - IMO, assuming you possess restraint and self-preservation instincts, it's a good size. My first bike was/is a 900cc with probably around the same amount of power as that bike (a lot more torque, though). Keep it in the lower RPM range and you will do fine.

Definitely take the MSF course before you ride any bike. Once you get it, take it out to a parking lot and do all the MSF stuff again with your bike starting from walking the bike with the clutch, etc. Get really comfortable with it in a safe place before taking it on the roads.

BTW, the MSF completion card gets you a discount at lots of moto gear shops. Be sure to ask. For example, the BMW shop nearby that carries all the best stuff gives 15% off helmets, gloves and boots. That can easily amount to a $200+ savings if you bought all their best gear.

Kevin

Reaction score
BTW, the MSF completion card gets you a discount at lots of moto gear shops. Be sure to ask. For example, the BMW shop nearby that carries all the best stuff gives 15% off helmets, gloves and boots. That can easily amount to a $200+ savings if you bought all their best gear.
This is excellent information to have. Thanks gents; I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Martinis at 8

Reaction score
This is excellent information to have. Thanks gents; I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Have fun. BTW most shops will know of local clubs where you may meet other riders. Typically they have weekend rides.

M8

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads