• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Motorcycle to work?

Great Satchmo

Reaction score
So i may be getting a job that would make riding my motorcycle to work make a lot of sense as far as the route and gas my car would use (Firebird Formula...ya, great mode of transportation with gas prices).

The job would be business casual and I'm doing my best to not buy cheap clothes from here on out.

Does anyone here ride to work where they dress at least business casual (long sleeve dress shirt, slacks, decent shoes, maybe tie...)? If so, do you just wear 1 pair of shoes that are cheaper that you don't mind getting scuffs on from either road debris or the shifter? What else, as far as apparel, works under a jacket and is do-able for riding?

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I saw a guy in a vintage motorbike a last year fully decked in a suit. Made a hell of an impression on me.

slipperywhenwet

Reaction score
I rode my scooter in a suit quite often in the past. But now that I'm in the market for a bike again, I doubt that I will ride it with a suit on.

As far as the look goes, it's actually quite impressive to see a guy on a big cruiser, or even a street bike who is wearing a nice suit. Unfortunately, if the guy goes down, the suit will offer no protection at all.

If you're going to ride in a suit, I would suggest leather chaps over the pants. If you're going to be wearing a sport coat, you should store it in a backpack. You'll get a few wrinkles, but I'd take wrinkles over skin grafts any day. Besides, with the abundance of styles in riding gear these days, you are almost certain to find a nice leather jacket that will protect you in a fall, and still look good with your ensemble.

Rather than wearing cheaper shoes, you just get riding boots and carry your shoes in the backpack. In the event of a crash, your dress shoes will offer no protection, and in the event of not crashing, you will still mark them up with the shift lever. If you absolutely refuse to wear riding boots, then go for something in the way of a lace-up ankle boot. At least they will offer some protection, and still look good.

cmrocks

Reaction score
Can you wear khaki type pants? I ride my bike to work all the time. I usually wear cotton pants, leather boots, a dress shirt and my riding jacket. The boots I use for riding are scuffed from the shifter but I clean them up once a week and they don't look too bad. People know that I ride so no one says anything.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
What's your climate like? That will likely be the biggest factor, along with budget, in what options you have.

Great Satchmo

Reaction score
I have helmet, jacket, gloves that go on every time I ride. I plan on picking up riding boots soon, but as of right now I don't have them.

I don't need to wear a suit, but I do need to wear a long sleeve dress shirt (can be a not super formal dress shirt, but can has to be professional looking), dress pants (decent khaki's should be ok), not skater shoes, and possibly a tie (but didn't seem necessary today).

And the bike is an F3...if that matters.

Great Satchmo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
What's your climate like? That will likely be the biggest factor, along with budget, in what options you have.

I am in San Diego, so its generally pretty mild. However, I'd have to be riding in the morning (would start at 8am).

Budget is low. I'm just starting to accumulate decent dress clothes. Also, the apparel at the job isn't hugely important, but I just can't be showing up in jeans, a ****** t-shirt, and skater shoes. I'd like to use this as an excuse to start dressing better, and I just need to figure how to work with potentially riding to work.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am looking to buy a vespa right now. A vintage style would look great with a suit. I have decided, however, that I will not take it on the freeway to work because it is just too dangerous. If I kept it 30mph or under around town then I'd just wear a helmet and maybe nice looking ankle boots.

If I had to take a motorcycle on the freeway I would wear the full leather setup for protection and then change into a suit when I get to work. I had a boss trying to lose weight who would ride his bike in bike shorts and the whole the gettup then when he got to work he'd sponge bath in the bathroom and change into a suit.

jamoo

Reaction score
My wife and I commute on a Vespa 250 GTSie. It's quick enough for the freeway which we have to take for a short stretch.

Unfortunately, we were recently in a crash - passed on the shoulder by a dope in an SUV. I was wearing suit pants and dress shoes with my suit jacket stored in the saddle. My wife was wearing dress pants and shoes as well. We were each wearing gloves, helmet, and Joe Rocket jackets thankfully. She hurt her wrist and had no cuts. I scraped my knee and shredded up my ankle quite badly.

We're back on the scoot, but a little more cautious with our gear - jackets, longer gloves, helmets of course. I ride to work in a pair of Frye boots and change shoes when I get in, and she does the same with a pair of Docs. It's not nearly as convenient, but I'll never ride without boots again - I was in the middle if training for my first marathon and had to give that up. Had I been wearing any sort of ankle boot, I would have come out clean.

We've been looking around for some sort of kneepad to wear as well.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jamoo
My wife and I commute on a Vespa 250 GTSie. It's quick enough for the freeway which we have to take for a short stretch.

Unfortunately, we were recently in a crash - passed on the shoulder by a dope in an SUV. I was wearing suit pants and dress shoes with my suit jacket stored in the saddle. My wife was wearing dress pants and shoes as well. We were each wearing gloves, helmet, and Joe Rocket jackets thankfully. She hurt her wrist and had no cuts. I scraped my knee and shredded up my ankle quite badly.

We're back on the scoot, but a little more cautious with our gear - jackets, longer gloves, helmets of course. I ride to work in a pair of Frye boots and change shoes when I get in, and she does the same with a pair of Docs. It's not nearly as convenient, but I'll never ride without boots again - I was in the middle if training for my first marathon and had to give that up. Had I been wearing any sort of ankle boot, I would have come out clean.

Did they find the guy?

jamoo

Reaction score
We sat on the same route the next day and got his license plate number. We've given it to the police but haven't heard an update. Be nice to have him charged and get my deductible back.

emptym

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jamoo
....Had I been wearing any sort of ankle boot, I would have come out clean.

Shoot. I should probably wear boots all the time too...

If I'm going on the highway for an extended period (more than 1/2 hr), I'll always wear serious motorcycle boots w/ armour, shin/knee protectors ($20 from a motocross store), padded shorts, cordura pants, an armoured kidney belt, armoured jacket, gloves, neck gaitor (even when it's hot, since pebbles at 70mph hurt) and helmet.

However, for my daily city commute -- about 6.5 miles at top speeds of 35mph -- I tend to just wear helmet, jacket, gloves, and normal shoes. For the first few years I always wore boots, but laziness and the low speeds nudged me over to normal shoes. Half the time I make the same commute by bicycle. And then I'm traveling at similar speeds (sometimes faster and in more cramped conditions)wearing only a helmet and gloves (and clothes). Sometimes I wonder if I should wear motorcycle gear on the bicycle, or shorts and t-shirt on the motorcycle as others do. But I like my system (helmet, jacket, gloves on motorcycle; helmet and gloves on bicycle).

In any case, I wear my nicest shoes while riding in the city and find that the leather takes the abuse from small stones or the shifter (but I haven't crashed in them). Rubber soles are better than leather for grip.

Normally I wear a coat and tie. I started out carrying my sport/suitcoat in a bag and wearing my motorcycle jacket (generic leather or Belstaf Mercury), but since I got a longer ballistic jacket, I often wear the suit/sportcoat underneath--unless it's hot.

Bicycle or motorcycle, I normally wear a light pair of nylon wind pants for the wind, and to protect my pants from dirt or the occasional splash. If it's raining I wear raingear. If you're on a budget, you can get the wind pants at a thrift store, as I did. Unlined ones are best for slipping on/off. I have heavy rain pants for long distances, but keep a pair of gore-tex paclite pants in my bag just in case. Sucks to be caught w/o them. Got em on ebay.

Great Satchmo

Reaction score
Well, I did get the job. The route is 12-13 miles each way, but on major freeways.

I'm going to see if I can't find a side-route, for traffic and safety, to get off the more major freeway for part of the trip.

I think at the least I'll pick up boots soon, and then just carry my shoes and wear my normal clothes under the jacket, gloves, and helmet.

The leather jacket I have should fit a button up under it pretty easily. I may pick up some textile pants to put over my normal pants, we'll see. For now, I'm not too concerned about the shoes for the moment. My dress shoes are ****** anyways, and the dress code isn't super strict, but the boots will be an improvement.

jamoo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by emptym
However, for my daily city commute -- about 6.5 miles at top speeds of 35mph -- I tend to just wear helmet, jacket, gloves, and normal shoes.

We were only doing 50km/h - about 35mph. My ankle ended up like this:

1000090pn7.jpg

Certainly could've been worse, but still not cool.

emptym

Reaction score
^ Yeouch. Ya, that doesn't look like it was fun. I've been planning to get some nice dress boots. Think I'll do it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads