• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Most useful language to learn next?

Simon Templar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milpool
1) Healthcare

2) honestly, I'd like to get away from the healthcare industry, into something else. Kind of hard though due to my work experience and education, plus the crap economy.

If you plan to move to or trade with people from Western Europe, parts of Africa or Canada, then French is a good choice. Still the second most studied language worldwide i would say. French also has global reach and is still considered by some as a prestigious language and used heavily for diplomacy, in UN organisations etc.

For Eastern Europe (and Germanic countries), German would be more useful.

For the USA and Central/South America obviously Spanish and to a lesser degree Portuguese.

If interested in applying for certain government agencies or possibly trade, Arabic and Chinese are in demand. Otherwise i would not bother.

I would start with French or Spanish, basically because they should be easier to pick up for a native English speaker. Knowledge of French will assist in learning Spanish/Portuguese even Italian and vice versa.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would actually counsel against learning Chinese, assuming the OP is an American. My reason is a bit contrarian. So, yes, there are 1.3 billion Chinese, and everybody wants to do business with them. Look around. How many Chinese Americans do you see? A lot, right? Right. How many of them are well educated? Yup, a lot. And then there are Chinese who immigrated to the US for college/graduate school. They were born with an advantage that you'll most likely never overcome, unless you actually move to China and live there for a long time. As a result, when time comes for American companies to send their reps to China to do business, guess who would be on top of the list. Not you.

My point is that the US is saturated with enough Chinese-speaking people that there's no real advantage to learning it now, from scratch, and particularly moreso when you aren't of Chinese descent.

But, if you want to learn it as a hobby in order to score Chinese chicks, that's a different story.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
couldnt you make the identical case for Spanish? Japanese? Korean? hell, even Vietnamese.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
couldnt you make the identical case for Spanish? Japanese? Korean? hell, even Vietnamese.

Yes, to all of the above. The people who are sent to these countries to do business are sent because they're good at what they do, and the language skill is icing on the cake.

To the OP, I'd say save your time and get good at whatever it is you're good at. That's a better investment of your time, IMO.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T

my experience is that Latin American's are the worst at languages, aside from norht americans. the only place i regularly use a translator is south america.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
My feeling is that most Americans should master spoken and written English first.

- B

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Yes, to all of the above. The people who are sent to these countries to do business are sent because they're good at what they do, and the language skill is icing on the cake.

To the OP, I'd say save your time and get good at whatever it is you're good at. That's a better investment of your time, IMO.

And even if the language is your primary skill, such as in translation or interpretation, you still need some kind of specialization, whether narrow or broad.

Milpool

Reaction score
It seems language is highly undervalued in the US based on a lot of the replies here.

That fact alone is interesting.

kruze

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
I would actually counsel against learning Chinese, assuming the OP is an American. My reason is a bit contrarian. So, yes, there are 1.3 billion Chinese, and everybody wants to do business with them. Look around. How many Chinese Americans do you see? A lot, right? Right. How many of them are well educated? Yup, a lot. And then there are Chinese who immigrated to the US for college/graduate school. They were born with an advantage that you'll most likely never overcome, unless you actually move to China and live there for a long time. As a result, when time comes for American companies to send their reps to China to do business, guess who would be on top of the list. Not you.

My point is that the US is saturated with enough Chinese-speaking people that there's no real advantage to learning it now, from scratch, and particularly moreso when you aren't of Chinese descent.

But, if you want to learn it as a hobby in order to score Chinese chicks, that's a different story.

But in my experience, Japanese and Korean chicks are better.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads