• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Most underappreciated films

ezboy1000

Reaction score
I agree with Dark City and The Fall

It seems dramas get a lot of attention, but what about some comedy?

Some more for consideration:

Comedy:
Being There and The Party – Peter Sellers at his finest. My favorite comedy of all time is The Party, very funny. Blake Edwards directed this and did a wonderful job. From what I understand, Edwards allowed Sellers to just play to character (improv) and let scenes drag on so that Sellers could be creative. The pacing is slow at the beginning, but once “the party” starts, it is hilarious.
What About Bob/Quick Change – two of Bill Murray’s best comedies. Both are severely underrated. Quick Change most haven’t even hear of, which is a shame.
Best in Show/Waiting for Guffman – mockumentaries directed by Christopher Guest, both hilarious.

Foreign:
City of God - Brazilian film that was already mentioned and is a must see.
The Lives of Others– German film.
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly– wonderful French film that is particularly moving.

Documentary:
Comedian – centers around Sienfeld trying to come up with a new stand up act, great behind the scenes stuff.
God Grew Tired of Us
Sick: The Life and Death of Bob Flanagan, Supermasochist.

mondayc

Reaction score
Maybe not so much underrated by critics, but whenever film discussion comes, most friends have never heard of these:
Children of Men
Michael Clayton
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (I think these three were already mentioned)
The Departed (My second favorite Scorsese after Goodfellas)
The Room with Tommy Wiseau. I know it's terrible, but in the best way imaginable.
A Scanner Darkly (already mentioned too, I think)
The Host (Korean movie that I praise for great CGI, although I normally despise CGI)
Good Night, and Good Luck. Again, it has awards, but I've never heard it discussed.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Dead Man"

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sesame Seed
Jarmusch has done better... and worse.

Do you also give stock tips?

Sesame Seed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
Do you also give stock tips?

I'm just stating the bleeding obvious, my friend. I should have ended it with "˜much, much worse'. His latest effort is a boiled turd on celluloid.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by justtemple
I've kind of felt like Dazed and Confused is overrated by most.

Me too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads