• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Brideshead

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Thanks mate , the knowledge on here from the OG's is inspiring . I still get into John Simons when im up west and even got into Mikel Rude shirts of late . My coming of age was the post suedehead look of Toppers and Ruperts a London 'football ' look .. fringe n buckle loafers and interlace from Shoe Box in Bush market , South sea bubble patchwork crew necks were the bollocks and expensive for the era with brush denim Brutus jeans from over Petticoat lane ..  pure BUDGIE - surely a hero .
I don't think South Sea Bubble have been much mentioned here. I recall in 1971 that slightly flared South Sea Bubble cotton jeans were pretty much de rigueur in my area. Worn with a Village Gate roll neck in Shetland wool and , as you say, Toppers shoes - great!

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score

I don't think South Sea Bubble have been much mentioned here. I recall in 1971 that slightly flared South Sea Bubble cotton jeans were pretty much de rigueur in my area. Worn with a Village Gate roll neck in Shetland wool and , as you say, Toppers shoes - great!
... or a multi-patchwork-style crew-neck?

Not a million miles from this... but brighter.

SSB.jpg

Last edited:

Basset

Reaction score
Was East Bristol darts league, I know away matches were at pubs in places like, Redfield, Whitehall, Easton, St. Werburghs, Montpelier, played at the Inkerman in St. Pauls once. Only played for a couple of seasons, then I moved out of Bristol for a few years. Yeh, Toby bitter, us students were certainly sober at Brunel Tech College in the afternoons...haha. I'm quite sure most of the Ushers pubs met a similar fate, many of them now pulled down, with flats in their place. Think it was mostly Ushers boozers we played darts at, like the South Wales Railway near Stapleton Road station, long gone and is now flats or something.
In Soundwell there's two Wetherspoons fairly local, Kingswood Colliers and Staple Hill Oak. A small pubco tied boozer doesn't really have a chance. I'm sure the Crown in Soundwell was Ushers. I think the Turnpike is more of a restaurant than pub now.

Spot on Mike, the Turnpike or the star as i call it is one of them sizzler chain jobbys, i live just down the road not far from the Archers, also boarded up, worked in the Inkerman circa 84 whilst it was having a refit

flyfronted

Reaction score
They were similar to the 80's Armani jumpers the Casuals wore circa 84 . All the clobber i wore was sourced via the terraces at London football matches , To young to go nightclubbing it was my catwalk so to speak . Ruperts - now were they American golfing slacks originally ?

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They were similar to the 80's Armani jumpers the Casuals wore circa 84 . All the clobber i wore was sourced via the terraces at London football matches , To young to go nightclubbing it was my catwalk so to speak . Ruperts - now were they American golfing slacks originally ?

Talk to Lasttye about them.He remembers them(or was it later you were talking about?)

flyfronted

Reaction score
If I remember correctly,mine was Beige,Brown and Rust-wore them with Beige "Bags".
smile.gif
I had a dark blue , light blue , grey combination . Wore it with pastel bags and a very small leather belt . Was the start of the mid 70s Soul boy look that a lot of 'too young to be a proper Skin kids got into from 75 , pretty sure the Great Gatsby film was out and a big inspiration to a lot of 70s clobber that if you look hard enough really is copies of 1930's clothing . Anyone got a pic of Toppers ?

flyfronted

Reaction score
Talk to Lasttye about them.He remembers them(or was it later you were talking about?)
No the OG's from 72 ish i think . I got mine in a menswear shop on the North End rd . Very much a 'London football boy ' look but with most clothes that youth cults appropriate not meant for teenage boys in the first place . Looked good with spray painted DM's ( we sprayed ours silver then put little stars on them and did another coat in blue - peel off the stars and a lovely dark blue n silver stars combo appeared ) .

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No the OG's from 72 ish i think . I got mine in a menswear shop on the North End rd . Very much a 'London football boy ' look but with most clothes that youth cults appropriate not meant for teenage boys in the first place . Looked good with spray painted DM's ( we sprayed ours silver then put little stars on them and did another coat in blue - peel off the stars and a lovely dark blue n silver stars combo appeared ) .

They had Pictures of those-taken at Selhurst Park.

Remember the "Gatsby Look",even down to the Beige Cap(as worn by Robert Redford).Thought I looked the Dogs B*ll*cks!!:)

yankmod

Reaction score
Just finished reading the George Marshall "Spirit of 69" and Nick Knight "Skinhead"books.The photos collected for M.O.M.s book are the best collection of Original's I've seen,that's a selling point.My humble opinion of the structure of the M.O.M.book would be like the book "Please Kill Me"about the Punk rock movement.If you are not familiar,the whole book is quotes from the people who were there.This thread already has that structure with the Originals Firm telling of their personal recolections.This type of structure would be different to any "Skinhead"book i've seen.I would definitely leave out the revival and 2 tone and Oi like the 2 books above delve into.Just my 2 cents.I do hope M.O.M.has help wit dis project as it must be a lot of work for one chap.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just finished reading the George Marshall "Spirit of 69" and Nick Knight "Skinhead"books.The photos collected for M.O.M.s book are the best collection of Original's I've seen,that's a selling point.My humble opinion of the structure of the M.O.M.book would be like the book "Please Kill Me"about the Punk rock movement.If you are not familiar,the whole book is quotes from the people who were there.This thread already has that structure with the Originals Firm telling of their personal recolections.This type of structure would be different to any "Skinhead"book i've seen.I would definitely leave out the revival and 2 tone and Oi like the 2 books above delve into.Just my 2 cents.I do hope M.O.M.has help wit dis project as it must be a lot of work for one chap.

M-o-M has a very able Assistant in Little Queenie.The other Skinhead Books were by People who were not actually there,only heard about it or only took Photos of the second Lot.I am not saying it is going to be a "Best Seller",but I hope it will give a truer insight,into the Skinhead World(of the 60s).Telling it as it actual was! :)

yankmod

Reaction score
M-o-M has a very able Assistant in Little Queenie.The other Skinhead Books were by People who were not actually there,only heard about it or only took Photos of the second Lot.I am not saying it is going to be a "Best Seller",but I hope it will give a truer insight,into the Skinhead World(of the 60s).Telling it as it actual was!
smile.gif
I had a feeling Little Queenie may be helping.Brooks Brothers is having a sale.Some decent BD ***** 50% to 70% off in some cases.http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatSortOrder.process?IWAction=Load&Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=306

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads