• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Aces and Eights

Reaction score
I seem to be getting mixed messages on the cardigan front - they were 'old men's wear' but everyone still had one. They pop up in many many old pictures so were obviously popular. What denoted it as 'old man'? Was it the weight? Buttons? Style? Colour? or a bit of everything?
And I do agree - pockets is best!

I recall we wore mainly fine knit / lambs wool ? and the pockets were a must on the cardigans. Very casual and usful item of clothing as you would stuff your hands in your pockets to look cool and when on the move you had your **** and Zippo in the pocket. Theres a thought beside the Zippo we started off with the old army metal flint lighters - gas ones were too expensive so we tended to smell of Brut and lighter fuel. Thats it - we were always trying to obtain a Ronson gas lingter or a Dunhill would be the tops

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I recall we wore mainly fine knit / lambs wool ? and the pockets were a must on the cardigans.  Very casual and usful item of clothing as you would stuff your hands in your pockets to look cool and when on the move you had your **** and Zippo in the pocket.  Theres a thought beside the Zippo we started off with the old army metal flint lighters - gas ones were too expensive so we tended to smell of Brut and lighter fuel.  Thats it - we were always trying to obtain a Ronson gas lingter or a Dunhill would be the tops

When the Fuel had come out of the Metal Lighters,they be all Flame.Lucky in that my Mum(to earn extra)did Home work for Ronson Lighters.

Gsvs5

Reaction score
Theres a memory - a packet of 10 number 6 and a book of matches the beginners smoking kit !!

There used to be a little grocers shop that sold single Woodbines and an "Offy" that you took an empty Cider bottle in and get filled with draught sherry.It was all downhill for a few years after that !

buttons

Reaction score

There used to be a little grocers shop that sold single Woodbines and an "Offy" that you took an empty Cider bottle in and get filled with draught sherry.It was all downhill for a few years after that !

There was a similar shop I knew in Sunderland - took a Brown Ale bottle in and got a pint of sherry for a quid (in '86, at the tender non-sherry drinking age of 15). Drank it on the way to a party. Spent most of the night passed out on the bathroom floor. Don't think I've drank sherry since.
(not so) Happy Days!

yankmod

Reaction score
Listening to a CD that came with "Uncut" Mag.It Showcases a few of the newer Bands.A lot of them have gone back to the 60s,for inspiration.Even the first Track is a rework of "Hey Mr.Tambourine Man".Ironically,it is called "Strange Brew"-one of Cream`s finest.I actually bought the Mag for the Story of the Marquee and the Who-and which Clubs were popular in the 60s.Remember some of them,some I was not allowed in,"Bag O`Nails","Scotch Of St.James"and "The Speakeasy".This was where the "Kings Road" Set would go.Not my Scene-even during the Mod years.
smile.gif
It's always that way with Musicians browniecj.Early 60's Dylan was doing folk music from the 20's.The British bands were doing British Music Hall.And some American Pop (Harry Nilsson)was doin American Vaudeville.As long as they learn from the "Good" stuff.

Basset

Reaction score
That's a good looking cardigan Basset. Where did you get it? I had a similar one, in grey, from Next about 5 years ago but my older cousins (we are talking 60 years + and ex-mods from early '60's London) took the micky out of me for looking like an old man.The problem was the colour not the style.

Bought it from a gentlemans outfitters that was closing down not far from where i live, its made by wolsey, there still going and there knitwears good imo

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not to derail, but to all the English in this forum, I hope you're having a Happy St. George's Day! Now carry on with your real ale, pie'n'mash, and what have ya. :)

Basset

Reaction score
There was a similar shop I knew in Sunderland - took a Brown Ale bottle in and got a pint of sherry for a quid (in '86, at the tender non-sherry drinking age of 15). Drank it on the way to a party. Spent most of the night passed out on the bathroom floor. Don't think I've drank sherry since.
(not so) Happy Days!

Ditto, draught sherry was available in the local offie, armadillo brand i think, burgundy and white ceramic cask with the little drip cup hanging under the tap, having been paid with my first weeks wages in 83 me and me mate bought some along with half oz of old holburn and some rizlas, drank, smoked, barfed, not the best nite i've had

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not to derail, but to all the English in this forum, I hope you're having a Happy St. George's Day! Now carry on with your real ale, pie'n'mash, and what have ya. :)

Cheers Botolph..and Happy St Georges day to all Englishmen who have spread all around the World. :)

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cheers Botolph..and Happy St Georges day to all Englishmen who have spread all around the World. :)

Yeh...Happy St George's Day from an Englishman on the other side of the world.. :D Got no real ale or pie'n'mash though, but I got a made in China England flag and a bottle of Beijing Yanjing beer!

Last edited:

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank-you Botolph.I also agree with what Lasttye has said.:fonz:

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I seem to be getting mixed messages on the cardigan front - they were 'old men's wear' but everyone still had one. They pop up in many many old pictures so were obviously popular. What denoted it as 'old man'? Was it the weight? Buttons? Style? Colour? or a bit of everything?

Basically, if an old bloke was wearing it, it was old bloke's gear. If we were wearing it, it wasn't. I honestly think it was as simple as that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads