• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score
Some of mine:

Loakes, Barkers and Church's, couple of pairs of Bass, pair of (still tight)John Lewis Loafers and a random pair of Jones'.

I have a lock-up I will be visiting for the first time in a number of years next weekend that has, if I remember correctly, a box of shoes from 80s- 90s - I left ... may be be a pile of crap, but who knows?

No Royals - but I'll fix that. :satisfied:

Last edited:

Bob the Badger

Reaction score
Some of mine:

Loakes, Barkers and Church's, couple of pairs of Bass, pair of (still tight)John Lewis Loafers and a random pair of Jones'.

I have a lock-up I will be visiting for the first time in a number of years next weekend that has, if I remember correctly, a box of shoes from 80s- 90s - I left ... may be be a pile of crap, but who knows?

No Royals - but I'll fix that.
satisfied.gif

The shoes all look in good condition. Well cared for. Very rare these days. Do you do anything special or is it just the usual spit and Kiwi polish?

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score
Hi Bob,

A couple of pairs are 15-20 years old and all get a coating a day -or two - after having been worn.

Never stuck under a radiator to dry - when wet - and yes, just some Kiwi or Cherry Blossom rubbed in and brushed out after the polish has soaked in.

I'm sure others' have better ways; but the old 'spit-and-polish' has always seen me through.

Dunno what the garage shoes will be like, mind. It's a very dry environment - dunno if that's a particularly good thing, though - and they haven't seen the light of day for years. :embar:

Some go in shoe lasts but I walk odd :D - and the buggers are always mis-shapen after a couple of wears... however much they cost. :)

Sirryacus

Reaction score
Weird Ed most of the storage units where I live have the opposite problem they always seem to get too much moisture, I take it Bass used to make a fairly good shoe in the past when made in USA? I've ran into some of their loafers from the 70's that seem to be of medium range quality, seems they used to deal big on the lower end boat shoe market in the 80's and 90's were quite successful at that, Church's seem to be well respected somewhere in the realm equal to allen edmonds, funny to see how big the kiwi shoe polish brand really is never realized, I ran into a huge lot of their stuff quite awhile ago got atleast 15 brand new tins for dirt cheap perhaps I should start selling some of it off, I can never use it all in a life time.

Bob the Badger

Reaction score
Good luck with the garage shoes Ed. I put a lot of clothes in my loft 20 years ago in a closed section. I had grown out of them. On losing weight I went back to the loft expecting to find a lot of Vintage clothes only for my missus to tell me that it had all gone to the charity shop! I don't suppose much of the stuff was that good but in my mind it suddenly all became irreplaceable. She gave a J Simons bought Baracuta Harrington jacket to her brother. He never wore it but kept it in his basement for 20 years. Last year he gave it back to me in near perfect condition. Result!
Sirryacus, Kiwi polish has always been a standard shoe polish in the UK. Nothing too expensive and generally does the job.

flyfronted

Reaction score
Good luck with the garage shoes Ed. I put a lot of clothes in my loft 20 years ago in a closed section. I had grown out of them. On losing weight I went back to the loft expecting to find a lot of Vintage clothes only for my missus to tell me that it had all gone to the charity shop! I don't suppose much of the stuff was that good but in my mind it suddenly all became irreplaceable. She gave a J Simons bought Baracuta Harrington jacket to her brother. He never wore it but kept it in his basement for 20 years. Last year he gave it back to me in near perfect condition. Result!
Sirryacus, Kiwi polish has always been a standard shoe polish in the UK. Nothing too expensive and generally does the job.
I brought a pair of Yuketen boots last year lovely things - the standard cleaner recommended is Bear Fat

yankmod

Reaction score
Waiting for a Westbound Tube(at Mile End)on Saturday evening when two Youths came and stood near me.One was wearing the usual mass marketed rubbish but the other made me take notice.He was not a Skinhead but there were the Influences -Black Brogues,with a heavy Leather Sole,Black Jeans with a 1/2" Turn-up(not the skinny type either)and a Pork-Pie Hat.He ,at least,had made an effort.
smile.gif
Know what your sayin browniecj.The thing is these kids think this style is "the New" they have no idea it's recycled style.Better than shell suits and Hip Hop style though.I find it laughable when I see British kids in the american Hip Hop style doin gang hand signs and talkin "Brooklynese".Obviuosly kids in the UK have been doin the american thang for some time(as we all know)and since they live on Estates they identify with Hip Hop culture which is from the Projects (what you call Council Estates,No?) My humble opinion is if something is represented in the mainstream culture it is "Not Cool or Hip" Hip Hop and Heavy Metal have saturated the mainstream for the last 25 years or so.These forms of music (and style) haven't been cutting edge for at least that long. Ed nice to see you make an appearence.Nice collection of shoes.What would really put me over the top is if you posted pics of your shoehorn collection as well.
mwink[1].gif

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Got these from Jones about 10 years ago .
A French firm called Bexley do wingtips and plain caps flat tops - whatever you like to call them. They are calf leather as well - not polished, corrected grain whatever you like to call it. They also do loafers. Good prices too; especially if they have a sale on. Worth comparing to Loake. http://www.bexley.com/Bexley/shoe-M...ic&FACETTE_VILLE_TYPE_DERBY=true&coloris=noir http://www.bexley.com/Bexley/shoe-M...ic&FACETTE_VILLE_TYPE_DERBY=true&coloris=noir

Watermelon man

Reaction score
... He ,at least,had made an effort.
smile.gif
Funny. I saw a group of typical 14-15 year-olds on the bus the other week, all but one wearing mass-market rubbish throw-away, mixed-up style clothes. One lad, however, had a smart haircut and was wearing a Crombie-style coat and a well-polished pair of black DMs.

Very good to see.

yankmod

Reaction score
Funny. I saw a group of typical 14-15 year-olds on the bus the other week, all but one wearing mass-market rubbish throw-away, mixed-up style clothes. One lad, however, had a smart haircut and was wearing a Crombie-style coat and a well-polished pair of black DMs.

Very good to see.
I Love It.I was in the Army Surplus today.Lotta black brogues and denim bell bottoms.Parkas of all kinds Fishtail amongst them.Still my favorite place to brouse.Lots of unexpected surprises.A few things that could be modified and combined to create a look.Isn't this how the Skinheads began.Shopping in the Military surplus?Oh yea and the ubiquitous Airforce Flight Jacket,

Basset

Reaction score
I Love It.I was in the Army Surplus today.Lotta black brogues and denim bell bottoms.Parkas of all kinds Fishtail amongst them.Still my favorite place to brouse.Lots of unexpected surprises.A few things that could be modified and combined to create a look.Isn't this how the Skinheads began.Shopping in the Military surplus?Oh yea and the ubiquitous Airforce Flight Jacket,

I bought a lot of clothes from the army surplus in the late 70's/early 80's, must admit to liking a browse round them now, your never sure whats going to turn up in them

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I bought a lot of clothes from the army surplus in the late 70's/early 80's, must admit to liking a browse round them now, your never sure whats going to turn up in them

Most of our early Skinhead clobber came from those Army Surplus/Workwear shops that each area had. We got our Cheery Red Boots, Jungle Greens, Donkey Jackets etc, Those shops use to have a smell like a Army Quartermasters Store ,:)
Even now I often pop into Silvermans in Mile End for the odd bit of kit, mostly Dessie Boots these days.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads