• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

just want to say, WOW and THANKS. This thread is giving spirit of '69 a run for its money as a skinhead bible.

question for M.O.M: you mention that you came from a middle class background (and I understand that class in the UK at the time was much more divided and static than here in the US.) Did that create any conflict or problems with skins from strictly a working class background?
Not really, out in the suburbs. I suppose one or two of our crowd would react to a question with, "I dunno. Ask Paul - he's brainy", but as we all liked the same things and we all had the 'mates' culture that Lasttye often points to, it didn't seem to matter. I wasn't all that high up in the 'middle class' thing anyway. The edges were blurred, if you like. I don't think it quite means the same thing in the UK as it does in the US anyway.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not really, out in the suburbs. I suppose one or two of our crowd would react to a question with, "I dunno. Ask Paul - he's brainy", but as we all liked the same things and we all had the 'mates' culture that Lasttye often points to, it didn't seem to matter. I wasn't all that high up in the 'middle class' thing anyway. The edges were blurred, if you like. I don't think it quite means the same thing in the UK as it does in the US anyway.

We had a couple of lads from middle class back grounds in our gang, one a jewish lad, and the other had a private school education, No one took any notice, we was just not interested... although we was working class, we did not label ourselves at that time as working class, we was just teenagers and anyone was welcome who looked the same as us.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

We had a couple of lads from middle class back grounds in our gang, one a jewish lad, and the other had a private school education, No one took any notice, we was just not interested... although we was working class, we did not label ourselves at that time as working class, we was just teenagers and anyone was welcome who looked the same as us.

I couldn't have put it better, Roy.

beetleboy

Reaction score
Hi i have been told all about them times in chelmsford my dad was a skinhead at that time . He said it could get very rough at times and he opened the local paper at the start of this year i think and there was a big double page right up on skinheads fighting in chelmsford and it was all what i had been told . For sombody thats never seen anything like that i could not beleave it .

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of the biggest records of 1969 was h****y Tonk Woman...Rolling Stones, It was the Summer of 69, We all went down to Hyde Park to watch the Stones, We never got near the stage, But spent most the afternoon slinging Hippies in the Serpentine.
***** Tonk Woman was the most played record in the Phoenix Youth Club Kilburn of 69,

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

One of the biggest records of 1969 was h****y Tonk Woman...Rolling Stones, It was the Summer of 69, We all went down to Hyde Park to watch the Stones, We never got near the stage, But spent most the afternoon slinging Hippies in the Serpentine.
***** Tonk Woman was the most played record in the Phoenix Youth Club Kilburn of 69,

I was there. I was stuck in the middle of the crowd with a bunch of hippies on one side of me and a middle-aged couple picnicking on the other. We were all stuck there so we just sat and listened to the music, passed cans of beer or pop around. :D

bunty

Reaction score
http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/Stones-in-thePark-3a.html

There's some stories of people that were there , with a few mentions of Skinheads.

Great little quote....

' I personally came home with enough two bob bits (the price of a Pepsi) to buy three Ben Shermans - the ones in the woodgrain boxes and a Harrington. '

I had loads of those boxes as a kid, used to keep my Action Man stuff in them - didn't know that they were Ben Sherman boxes :D

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Summer of 69 was the height of the Skinheads, i remember going into the Phoenix Youth club with the intro of ***** Tonk, banging out it was always on the juke box. Too busy thinking about my Baby, Marvin Gaye, was another .they seem to wear the records out they was played so much,:)

nightdoctor

Reaction score
Interesting forum! Just joined on here, hello to Roy and Dave (Loempiavreter). I'm also on the UKskinhead forum, a friend of Dave so thats how I came here.

I'll take the time these next days to read the latest post on here as it seems to be all verry interesting
smile.gif

Big Muscle

Reaction score

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Interesting forum! Just joined on here, hello to Roy and Dave (Loempiavreter). I'm also on the UKskinhead forum, a friend of Dave so thats how I came here.

I'll take the time these next days to read the latest post on here as it seems to be all verry interesting:)

Welcome mate,

chickNcoop

Reaction score

I really enjoy these "day in the life" stories, gives a really great insight to those of us who weren't there, thanks!

loempiavreter

Reaction score

I'll take the time these next days to read the latest post on here as it seems to be all verry interesting:)

Rob! You finally joined! Welcome mate :D

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

btw, Levi's still provides selvage denim although it's not Big E.
501: http://us.levi.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10948887
505: http://us.levi.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10952142
511: http://us.levi.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10952315
But I heard that they are more looser than classic models (e.g. 9" leg opening for 36W). Back in the days, did you prefer rather slim fit or more relaxed fit, or you just didn't care and you were satisfied with result of raw denim shrinkage?

The 60s Levi 501XX, Had a 9 inch leg opening....the leg was near parallel, Never saw anyone wearing tight fitting jeans in London, Up North they seemed to like wearing a baggier fit.

Just got to add, We tended to wear the 501XX with Zip Fly

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads