• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's all very passé to have tunes for ringtones, I suppose.
I can't remember how I got it. I may have just edited from the track but I'll be blowed if I can remember how.
I used to use Happy Days Toy Town from 'Ogden's Nutgone Flake'.

Text alerts are the Hitchhikers Guide book sound but then my home screen has some big friendly words of advice on them.
Life is just a bowl of all bran.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Reminds me of when we had mechanical tape recording answering machines in the 90s. My outgoing message was the beginning of Strother Martin’s speech in ‘Cool Hand Luke’ lifted from the opening of ‘Civil War’ by Guns N Roses:

“What we’ve got here - is faaaaaaaaiiure to communicate …”

which I thought was a minor stroke of genius at the time!😁

As for old TV shows I sometimes fire up old episodes of ‘The Saint’ and there’s potential for a good drinking game to be played spotting all the guest actors who later appeared in Bond films! Either the talent pool was very limited back then or else there was a lot of jobs for the boys and girls going on!

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honor Blackman aged well. She was good in ‘Midsomer Murders‘ too. I also read the stuff about the cars.

One thing that puzzled me was that Steed always takes his brolly and bowler hat with him - even when breaking and entering. It’s not as though they are weapons like Oddjob might employ.

Swampster

Reaction score
The bowler is armoured - I think Steed bashes someone with it in one episode. http://www.johnsteedsflat.com/bowler3.html has some other features including a hidden radio and a stash for a Walther PPK (obviously another one who listened to Boothroyd).
The umbrella has a hidden sword which is revealed in some of the title sequences.

Regarding Steed's appearance, the Wikipedia article has an interesting quote
'Series scriptwriter Dennis Spooner said that the series would frequently feature Steed visiting busy public places such as the main airport in London without anyone else present in the scene: "'Can't you afford extras?', they'd ask. Well, it wasn't like that. It's just that Steed had to be alone to be accepted. Put him in a crowd and he sticks out like a sore thumb! Let's face it, with normal people he's weird. The trick to making him acceptable is never to show him in a normal world, just fighting villains who are odder than he is!"'

http://www.johnsteedsflat.com/Dressing_fashion_history.html has some examples of Avengers inspired wear being available to the public.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The bowler is armoured - I think Steed bashes someone with it in one episode. http://www.johnsteedsflat.com/bowler3.html has some other features including a hidden radio and a stash for a Walther PPK (obviously another one who listened to Boothroyd).
The umbrella has a hidden sword which is revealed in some of the title sequences.

Regarding Steed's appearance, the Wikipedia article has an interesting quote
'Series scriptwriter Dennis Spooner said that the series would frequently feature Steed visiting busy public places such as the main airport in London without anyone else present in the scene: "'Can't you afford extras?', they'd ask. Well, it wasn't like that. It's just that Steed had to be alone to be accepted. Put him in a crowd and he sticks out like a sore thumb! Let's face it, with normal people he's weird. The trick to making him acceptable is never to show him in a normal world, just fighting villains who are odder than he is!"'

http://www.johnsteedsflat.com/Dressing_fashion_history.html has some examples of Avengers inspired wear being available to the public.
Interesting. I watched all the episodes but don’t remember Steed using the bowler for anything other than part of his dress. People got weirder as the series progressed - ‘Mother’ for example.

northernbloke12345

Reaction score
I know a lass who is a spitting image for Honor Blackman when she was 35-40 in the sixties, i don't think she is single unfortunately lol.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New podcast dropped. Here's the shpeel:

This time Kate has gone for sheer quality. There are monster tracks like ‘Theme from Shaft’ by Isaac Hayes, and the legendary Baby Huey with ‘Hard Times’, plus loads of really first class 1970s music. You’ll hear The Spinners, Van Morrison, Curtis Mayfield, and more! Tune in and groove out!

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New podcast dropped. Here's the shpeel:

This time Kate has gone for sheer quality. There are monster tracks like ‘Theme from Shaft’ by Isaac Hayes, and the legendary Baby Huey with ‘Hard Times’, plus loads of really first class 1970s music. You’ll hear The Spinners, Van Morrison, Curtis Mayfield, and more! Tune in and groove out!

No, not those spinners!

Spinners.jpeg

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally got round to watching this. Some good memories. By the end I was thinking that it put me in mind of Spielberg trying to get interviews with the Holocaust survivors or the other attempts to track down the last few remaining WW1 and now WW2 veterans. Get these memories on camera while the first hand witnesses are still with us before they’re lost to history!

As far as presentation, the aim might have been for spontaneity but it would be a bit easier on the ears if talking points were prepared prior to the camera rolling so there is less “errrrrrrr” to be endured while the interviewer is searching for the next question. Still a worthwhile topic so well done all!

Reggae Mike

Reaction score
Finally got round to watching this. Some good memories. By the end I was thinking that it put me in mind of Spielberg trying to get interviews with the Holocaust survivors or the other attempts to track down the last few remaining WW1 and now WW2 veterans. Get these memories on camera while the first hand witnesses are still with us before they’re lost to history!

As far as presentation, the aim might have been for spontaneity but it would be a bit easier on the ears if talking points were prepared prior to the camera rolling so there is less “errrrrrrr” to be endured while the interviewer is searching for the next question. Still a worthwhile topic so well done all!
The other two interviews he did with Simon and John were equally as well done, I thought. I dont hear alot about my fave aspects on being a Skinhead, looking cool and having fun. Racism and violence where deffo not the reasons I got involved.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The other two interviews he did with Simon and John were equally as well done, I thought. I dont hear alot about my fave aspects on being a Skinhead, looking cool and having fun. Racism and violence where deffo not the reasons I got involved.
Unfortunately I don’t have good memories of the skinhead scene at all. I’m just about old enough to remember the first wave although I was probably in short pants at the time - some of Paul’s memories resonate with my own recollections. I think there’s been a bit of an attempt to whitewash that scene by some people as the skins round ours were definitely racist and went “**** bashing”’around ours - not usually with much success as back then my town had very little diversity. Definitely remember chants of “Enoch” at the match too directed at any non white player in the seventies (a rarity in itself!) and “sieg heil” in the early eighties revival era.

I was more an admirer of the suede scene although it was a brief transition round ours from skins via suede into boot boys which were skinheads in style and appearance and attitude but with David Cassidy haircuts. Also I don’t buy the Ivy League connection - ask any skin from back then from my town and they wouldn’t know what that meant then or now.

I got into The Jam in 77 as what I thought was the acceptable face of punk so started copying their look and inadvertently became the first (revival) Mod in our school. Loads of lads jumped on the scene later, got parkas and a cheap suit but realised it was an expensive commitment so quickly joined the second wave of skins (some punks moved over and became skins too) and instantly became antagonistic to Mods which bugged the crap out of me as in both the original and second wave skins had evolved from the Mod scene and loads of the gear - Fred Perry, Ben Sherman button downs, sta pressts, loafers, v necks, Harrington’s etc - was common to both. I had my hair in a short spike and a lass I became friendly with in the sixth form said she’d always thought I was a skin! There was hell on at Madness and Specials gigs as Mods went along but got grief from all the skins. I hated them. Got chased all over but it was never one on one it was always a pack of them chasing me solo or just a few of us. I got sick of this one lad giving me grief in his little gang once and turned on him. I was / am fairly athletic but even I couldn’t catch him he **** himself when the tables were turned. He never bothered me after that.

So while I have a certain admiration for the skin/ suede style and a certain fondness for the memories of those days I struggle to think of a single positive interaction I ever had with them either first wave or revival. I’m aware there were more socially conscious skins (SHARPS) and even went to see The Redskins a couple of times but they were few and far between where I grew up, most were ignorant little twats from the council estates who had no idea about the roots of the scene, cool reggae music and decent threads. There was a famous story about them being down the beach causing aggro and the local Hells Angels came along and cleaned the lot of them out in a matter of minutes!

Reggae Mike

Reaction score
Unfortunately I don’t have good memories of the skinhead scene at all. I’m just about old enough to remember the first wave although I was probably in short pants at the time - some of Paul’s memories resonate with my own recollections. I think there’s been a bit of an attempt to whitewash that scene by some people as the skins round ours were definitely racist and went “**** bashing”’around ours - not usually with much success as back then my town had very little diversity. Definitely remember chants of “Enoch” at the match too directed at any non white player in the seventies (a rarity in itself!) and “sieg heil” in the early eighties revival era.

I was more an admirer of the suede scene although it was a brief transition round ours from skins via suede into boot boys which were skinheads in style and appearance and attitude but with David Cassidy haircuts. Also I don’t buy the Ivy League connection - ask any skin from back then from my town and they wouldn’t know what that meant then or now.

I got into The Jam in 77 as what I thought was the acceptable face of punk so started copying their look and inadvertently became the first (revival) Mod in our school. Loads of lads jumped on the scene later, got parkas and a cheap suit but realised it was an expensive commitment so quickly joined the second wave of skins (some punks moved over and became skins too) and instantly became antagonistic to Mods which bugged the crap out of me as in both the original and second wave skins had evolved from the Mod scene and loads of the gear - Fred Perry, Ben Sherman button downs, sta pressts, loafers, v necks, Harrington’s etc - was common to both. I had my hair in a short spike and a lass I became friendly with in the sixth form said she’d always thought I was a skin! There was hell on at Madness and Specials gigs as Mods went along but got grief from all the skins. I hated them. Got chased all over but it was never one on one it was always a pack of them chasing me solo or just a few of us. I got sick of this one lad giving me grief in his little gang once and turned on him. I was / am fairly athletic but even I couldn’t catch him he **** himself when the tables were turned. He never bothered me after that.

So while I have a certain admiration for the skin/ suede style and a certain fondness for the memories of those days I struggle to think of a single positive interaction I ever had with them either first wave or revival. I’m aware there were more socially conscious skins (SHARPS) and even went to see The Redskins a couple of times but they were few and far between where I grew up, most were ignorant little twats from the council estates who had no idea about the roots of the scene, cool reggae music and decent threads. There was a famous story about them being down the beach causing aggro and the local Hells Angels came along and cleaned the lot of them out in a matter of minutes!
That sucks to hear, but I can see how thats the reality of it for some. Id been involved with gang life since about 10 years old. When I found out about Skinheads I was 15 but really got into it by 18. The violence from the Skinhead scene was and is super muted compared the horrific short life of a So Cal gangster, so I was never really involved with it. Of the hundreds of shows Ive been to Ive never been confronted by anyone at all. Maybe some funny business In the pit, but thats not the same.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads