• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cords...As I said before I bought some Levi cords this weekend ( a light sand colour ),last night my GF asked me what I intended to wear them with,and I was a bit stuck for an answer.
I was wondering what blokes on here who have cords wear them with?..I suppose shoe wise the obvious answer is Desert boots..I think that I used to wear mine with brown loafers.

I recall wearing a pair of Levi cords, sand-coloured, with a pair of brown Gibsons and a pea-ish/sage-ish green Harrington. Not as ghastly as it sounds.

I think desert boots look better with blue denim.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I remember going to the Marquee and seeing Groups experimenting with various Sounds etc.When the "Summer Of Love" came along,everybody jumped on the bandwagon and it went mainstream.I can still remember walking down Oxford Street and hearing those bloody "Cowbells"-from a Market Stall.....:)

I remember an American(who hailed from New York City)tell me once-the only reason you started to get the Vietnam War Protests,was they started drafting the white,middle class.Up to then,it did not matter about the lower class White,Black or Hispanic(who had been sent over since `64)being killed. I viewed the Hippies and anybody associated with that ideology as Hypocrites.

I flirted with it very briefly, but by the time I got to college where there were a lot of hippy-trippy types, my opinion was that they needed an intravenous shot of reality, which is why I got into radical politics instead believe it or not. They were nice enough people, but when I think just how much of a middle-class pond in a working-class area my old college was, it was no wonder I did about 90% of my going out to enjoy myself outside it.

There were no more than about a dozen working-class and lower-middle-class (as I counted myself) mod/totter/skinhead types there. I can remember one West Indian guy there saying "We minorities need to stick together", by which he meant blacks and skinheads in the college.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The way it's been shown in the media, you'd think everyone in Britain dressed like Austin Powers, were 'far-out' and listened to Hendrix, Traffic and Grateful Dead. In reality Englebert Humperdink outsold Sgt.Pepper, and there were far more Skinheads than Hippies. Then again, I don't think many Skinheads subsequently went into television and media to re-write history from their perspective, like the bloody Hippies did.

To be fair, I listened to Hendrix. I don't think people (hippies) realised how bluesy and funky he was, just how flippin' black he was! I mean he had made his living playing with the Isley Brothers and acts like that.

Actually I saw him on the same bill with Englebert Humperdink. Englebert spent the first third of his set crooning his hit ballads, then took of his jacket and started to sing stuff like 'Land of 1000 Dances' and other upbeat soul stuff. I heard more recently that he and Hendrix really hit it off, and Jimi was playing rhythm guitar off-stage during Hump's set, but that might be an urban myth.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you wear a button down and a v neck with the cords ?
You mentioned moccasins which reminds me that the other day I saw some woven leather moccasin / loafers,I thought that they would have been good when we had our heatwave here ( seems a long time ago now ).

Yessir. Either that or a Smedly/F. Perry/similar polo and 'boat shoes'(as we always called them) or moccasins. Maybe with a tattersall button-down, but not usually with, say, a checked shirt. I've been trying to attach images but the page keeps crashing on me for some reason. I'm sure you get what I'm saying though. I have a pair of Paraboot ones and this style of Quoddy:

I hear you about the heat. Boston has the complete range of extreme temperatures. Moccs and loafers are great to wear with the 'invisible' socks or sock-less, and some crisp chinos and a polo shirt... and you still look well-put-together and not like an overgrown 5-year-old child when it's hot as f00k.

Last edited:

Gsvs5

Reaction score

I remember an American(who hailed from New York City)tell me once-the only reason you started to get the Vietnam War Protests,was they started drafting the white,middle class.Up to then,it did not matter about the lower class White,Black or Hispanic(who had been sent over since `64)being killed. I viewed the Hippies and anybody associated with that ideology as Hypocrites.

Occupy Wall St and other anti capitalist demos seem to attract more attention than any War these days.Total apathy.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Occupy Wall St and other anti capitalist demos seem to attract more attention than any War these days.Total apathy.

Because it was meant as a smokescreen for the dodgy crap going on in our gov't.
People are clueless here. You have those who follow MSNBC as Gospel, and then the FOXNews followers. They, respectively, swallow it whole and think of it as news and not the opinion-on-news that it really is... as long as it doesn't interrupt their Trueblood episodes or whatever...

Sorry, rant over.

Wearing tassel loafers with cords today(they're darker than the pic shows); I like the look. Not strictly "skinhead" due to my wearing a green 'shaggy dog' shetland over the pale green oxford button-down... "Hard Ivy" maybe?
lol8[1].gif
Colder than a witch's t*t here.

Last edited:

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recall wearing a pair of Levi cords, sand-coloured, with a pair of brown Gibsons and a pea-ish/sage-ish green Harrington. Not as ghastly as it sounds.

I think desert boots look better with blue denim.
I am thinking of something similar,brown Paraboot Michael, and looking out for a brown or khaki Harrington or maybe a sheepskin ( after saying for years that I wouldn't have another one ).

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because it was meant as a smokescreen for the dodgy crap going on in our gov't.
People are clueless here. You have those who follow MSNBC as Gospel, and then the FOXNews followers. They, respectively, swallow it whole and think of it as news and not the opinion-on-news that it really is... as long as it doesn't interrupt their Trueblood episodes or whatever...

Sorry, rant over.

Wearing tassel loafers with cords today(they're darker than the pic shows); I like the look. Not strictly "skinhead" due to my wearing a green 'shaggy dog' shetland over the pale green oxford button-down... "Hard Ivy" maybe?
lol8%5B1%5D.gif
Colder than a witch's t*t here.

I agree with you that all the "news" on tv,in fact most tv programmes seem to have an agenda,they either report the facts in a "slanted" way or just tell lies ( IMO )...I haven't had a tv for 7 or 8 years now ( I really don't miss it ) when I mention this to people its funny to see their reaction ( oh oh hes a nutcase ).
The stitching around the front of those loafers reminds me of the "bovver moccs" that we mentioned before,I like the look of fringed shoes but I worry about them curling so I always back off of buying them.
As you say about the extremes of weather,we don't get it so bad but its the humidity in the summer and the damp winters that are the problem here,today it rained and with the wind it felt really cold ( temperature wise it wasn't that cold ),what to wear and look smart in that weather ? a raincoat would be ok,but it would need a good thick lining for warmth.
BTW,Which cords do you buy?,at the moment there are Levi,Wrangler and Lee in the shops here,but not too many colours.

Last edited:

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with you that all the "news" on tv,in fact most tv programmes seem to have an agenda,they either report the facts in a "slanted" way or just tell lies ( IMO )...I haven't had a tv for 7 or 8 years now ( I really don't miss it ) when I mention this to people its funny to see their reaction ( oh oh hes a nutcase ).
The stitching around the front of those loafers reminds me of the "bovver moccs" that we mentioned before,I like the look of fringed shoes but I worry about them curling so I always back off of buying them.
As you say about the extremes of weather,we don't get it so bad but its the humidity in the summer and the damp winters that are the problem here,today it rained and with the wind it felt really cold ( temperature wise it wasn't that cold ),what to wear and look smart in that weather ? a raincoat would be ok,but it would need a good thick lining for warmth.

Yeah I come from a bit of an "eccentric" family, and agree with you on the television. I use mine to watch sports, weather, "news"(though more and more going to independent internet news sources), and the occasional film.
My granduncle and grandaunt got rid of their TV in the '60s. My cousins(1st, 1x removed) are all incredibly bright, learned, and have the attention spans of an elephant, and all play various musical instruments and speak multiple tongues. My wife and I are expecting and plan on seriously rationing the boy's TV viewing to a bare minimum.

These mocks are Loake Brightons. I really dig 'em. The tassels look removable so I'd guess they could be 1.replaced or 2.fiddled with to straighten them. I've had them for a little while and the tassels haven't curled yet. Fingiz crossed!

Well for the cold, wet weather, aside from my MA-1 that I've waterproofed(yeah, I wear an MA-1, what of it?
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
crackup[1].gif
), and various waterproof coats(my wife wants to kill me!), I have a nice Brooks Brothers stone<light tan mac with a woolen removable lining that does the job http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Singl...l?dwvar_082L_Color=TAN&contentpos=5&cgid=0222 , plus a nice navy Mackintosh mac, also with removable woolen lining. Combined with a collared shirt, lambswool v-neck or cardigan, and a scarf of silk or wool, you're golden. It can occasionally get down to -25˚C here in the winter that that ensemble does the trick, usually with a flat/scally cap or brollie if necessary.

With the cords it's a variety-- Mostly M&S Blue Harbour if I'm honest
shog[1].gif
, Old Navy, a pair of One True Saxon(from a good 6-7 years back when they were still in the Lace Market in Nottingham and didn't go much south of the Watford Gap), and I have a pair or two of Engineered Garments Workaday cords which are nice.

The problem in the States at the moment is that the cords in the shops are 90% skinny, super-skinny, etc., or old man wide wale cords. I dig a nice straight-leg, 8" or so hem. M&S Blue Harbour really do the trick, I've gotta say.

Last edited:

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sheepskins...I was down in Somerset today and I went into a shop called 4 seasons,its in Street....they part exchange,old sheepskins and leather jackets / coats for new ones,they then sell the used coats.
There were loads of styles / lengths / colours and the prices varied...they had not been cleaned but they were all in nice condition ( obviously they don't take any old crap in part exchange )
I have also been looking on e bay and as Lerk found there are bargains to be found ( a lot don't get bids,lets face it not many people seem to want them ),in fact I looked at one from 1968 that they said hadn't been worn for over 25 years....
IMO,this is one "original" style that its possible to get quite cheap,cleaning is expensive,but after saying that I wouldn't have another one I am tempted.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sheepskins...I was down in Somerset today and I went into a shop called 4 seasons,its in Street....they part exchange,old sheepskins and leather jackets / coats for new ones,they then sell the used coats.
There were loads of styles / lengths / colours and the prices varied...they had not been cleaned but they were all in nice condition ( obviously they don't take any old crap in part exchange )
I have also been looking on e bay and as Lerk found there are bargains to be found ( a lot don't get bids,lets face it not many people seem to want them ),in fact I looked at one from 1968 that they said hadn't been worn for over 25 years....
IMO,this is one "original" style that its possible to get quite cheap,cleaning is expensive,but after saying that I wouldn't have another one I am tempted.

Found me one on the Bay of despair(U.S. 'bay) a few months ago for short money and aside from having leather covered buttons(not the football kind, but matching), it ticked all the important boxes for me. Well, aside from the length being a couple inches shorter than the more desired longer ones, but it's a beautiful coat and the lapels ain't ridiculous. I'll get a pic up later on.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found me one on the Bay of despair(U.S. 'bay) a few months ago for short money and aside from having leather covered buttons(not the football kind, but matching), it ticked all the important boxes for me. Well, aside from the length being a couple inches shorter than the more desired longer ones, but it's a beautiful coat and the lapels ain't ridiculous. I'll get a pic up later on.
Funny thing is all fashions seem to come back eventually,and the people who are selling sheepskins off cheap will be moaning when they become popular again " I sold a lovely one for £25 a year ago,people are paying £700 for a new one now,should have kept it blah blah ".
The other jacket that they had a few used ones today were the sheepskin lined flying jackets,not my cup of tea but a heavy warm jacket maybe a bit too "Rocker" though.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The other jacket that they had a few used ones today were the sheepskin lined flying jackets,not my cup of tea but a heavy warm jacket maybe a bit too "Rocker" though.

Yeah, I couldn't pull off wearing one of those! I like the A-2's and have a nice brown Eastman Leather one. As said before, not very "skinhead", but a classy garment.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Quote:
Never liked them too, but they used to be wear by some French skinheads in the 80s.
Cords: I wear the trousers, don't like the jean cut version. I've got some made by Façonnable. A nice fit. Very good looking with Paraboots Michael or my Paraboots summer loafers (Alas, now semi-retired).

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I couldn't pull off wearing one of those! I like the A-2's and have a nice brown Eastman Leather one. As said before, not very "skinhead", but a classy garment.
I think that if your into "moving the look on ",its about whether the item fits with the rest of the style,I know that's not a popular view with a lot of people...A-2 very smart IMO.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads