1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. skinny legs

skinny legs Well-Known Member

The Sid James London Markets Doc- at 2.35 we see the legendary Prince Monolulu. He was a racing tipster- black fella who since the 20s was well known in the racing scene for his outlandish dress and booming cry- I've gotta Horse- they don't make em like that anymore.

1 person likes this.
  2. Soul Vision

Soul Vision Well-Known Member

What a strange hat!

3. Clouseau

Clouseau Well-Known Member

^ I don't think it's a hat, rather a flat cap jammed on his head. You can see the peak's popper undone.

I recently posted some old DM/Air Wair ads (late 60s) that showed some 7 eyelets boots. Apparently at the time they didn't all have an Air Wair tag. So your boots could be quite old indeed, but you could still find 7 eyelets steel toed one in the early 80s. I know as i had bought a pair in oxblood in an UK country shop (the leather was very thick), where by the way they had a lot of ancient models, among them the infamous 6 eyelets with white leather trim (that i didn't buy then, big regret!)
    I don't remember they did 7 eyelets in the 90s, but maybe they did, i had already stopped wearing boots for a few years then.
    I think the soles didn't mention 'the original' before late 80s or even early 90s.
    Another possibility is that your boots are not made by Griggs/Air wair. Not Astros for sure (different shape), but there was a lot of other brands in the time who had the DM sole license...

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  4. Soul Vision

This exhibition has mentioned before here but just thought it was funny how they have just put up a whole lot of mod inspired clothing on the wall - not sure if it was ever worn by the band or 'replicas' though. Once clothes reach 'museum' status is that a signal you shouldn't wear them anymore? When it comes to 'target' tops well yes!

Somerset House Opens Major Exhibition, The Jam: About The Young Idea

[​IMG]

5. Ivyskin89

Ivyskin89 Well-Known Member

NiK LOUIS White OCBD

Made In USA of Japanese Cotton

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  6. Soul Vision

A couple of Who things I had never seen before and surprised they haven't been used before in any docos:

In this one Keith Moon sports a BD with quite a large collar and three buttons on the cuff - looks a bit cheap looking - I'm guessing it is not a Ben Sherman (?) John has a white one on that is even bigger in the collar. Perhaps as the original mod look was morphing (on one side) into the more psychedelic era around 67 that migh have been the time when BD collars were at their largest (?)

THE WHO - Rare, Exclusive In-Studio Video Footage Of The Recording Of "Pictures Of Lily" | [​IMG] 1967 F2

In this one John has a nice white jacket and Pete Townshend mentions mods around 1.30-1.45

The Who - 1966 Recording Session (upload by doug.ie)

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  7. yankmod

yankmod Well-Known Member

Townsend says "The WhoBillies" (not sure how to spell that)

8. browniecj

browniecj Well-Known Member

A couple of Who things I had never seen before and surprised they haven't been used before in any docos:

In this one Keith Moon sports a BD with quite a large collar and three buttons on the cuff - looks a bit cheap looking - I'm guessing it is not a Ben Sherman (?)  John has a white one on that is even bigger in the collar.  Perhaps as the original mod look was morphing (on one side) into the more psychedelic era around 67 that migh have been the time when BD collars were at their largest (?)

1967 was when BDs reached halfway down the Chest.These were favoured by People who wore Neck Scarves(with Rings).Groups like the Bee Gees and Dave Dee,Dozy,Beaky,Mick and Titch liked them.:)

2 people like this.
  9. Soul Vision

10. Soul Vision

Yes, funny that such a 'mod' identified group even then were doing almost country numbers!

11. Soul Vision

It has been stated before that during the 'revival' era for mods and skinheads economic times were a lot tougher so the look was maybe a bit more pared down. But at least for the 'rude boys' they wore a lot of second hand gear. I'm wondering if that was because not only economics but by then there was also a lot more charity shops then and they had nice clobber from the late sixties etc. If you watch this you hear Jerry Dammers note that all their jackets are "second hand gear" at 10.56-11.06.

Rudies Come Back - (Arena) 1980 Full Length Version

I'm guessing the originals didn't wear really any second hand gear apart from the odd 'hand me down' (cue Faces song of the three button variety https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1CpkZQz9hY! - wonder if that was based on 'Rod the Mod's' own experience? And of the charity shops back in 69-70 maybe they were full of old Ted gear? Given the skinhead era in its full flowering was very short maybe even older brothers wouldn't have handed down their gear to younger ones as by then maybe Glam Rock was in full swing?

I know myself after about the early 1990's the chance of finding a nice suit jacket at a charity shop went right down - I always found country areas were best though.

12. browniecj

I'm guessing the originals didn't wear really any second hand gear apart from the odd 'hand me down' (cue Faces song of the three button variety  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1CpkZQz9hY! - wonder if that was based on 'Rod the Mod's' own experience?  And of the charity shops back in 69-70 maybe they were full of old Ted gear?  Given the skinhead era in its full flowering was very short maybe even older brothers wouldn't have handed down their gear to younger ones as by then maybe Glam Rock was in full swing?

I know myself after about the early 1990's the chance of finding a nice suit jacket at a charity shop went right down - I always found country areas were best though.
    [/quote]

They were selling 2 Piece Tonik Mohair Suits in Greenwich Market in 2004ish.Plenty of Colours but none my Size.

The Secondhand Shops then were nothing like they are today,in fact I can hardly remember any - except for Furniture and TV sets.Oxfam may have been around but when you getting Stuff MTM you did not go near them.

Lord Kitcheners` Valet was really 2nd Hand Gear,alongside "Granny Takes A Trip" etc., - also over in Kensington Market etc

Rod Stewart probably had Secondhand Clothes when he started "Busking" in 1962.

1 person likes this.
  13. yankmod

yankmod Well-Known Member

When I first heard the "mid period" Who,(when they was doin their own tunes) I noticed how much Country/Folk was in their tunes.

14. Soul Vision

Interesting what you say browniecj about shops like Lord Kitchener's` Valet - I didn't realise they sold so much second hand gear!

15. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Well-Known Member

It all depended on circumstances. I can tell you that anyone who stayed on at school and therefore wasn't earning wore anything he could get his hands on, anyhow.

No one has mentioned knock-off gear yet! :D

16. Man-of-Mystery

When 'guardsman's jackets' were all the rage, there was a lot of 2nd hand stuff in boutiques etc.

17. Man-of-Mystery

'Bucket T' was a surf/hotrod number originally recorded by Jan & Dean. I can see what you mean by 'country', though. I think it's meant to convey the rickety nature of the old Model T Ford the hotrodder found on a Tennessee farm.

18. Man-of-Mystery

I was going to say - I'll have that! :D

19. skinny legs

skinny legs Well-Known Member

They were selling 2 Piece Tonik Mohair Suits in Greenwich Market in 2004ish.Plenty of Colours but none my Size.

The Secondhand Shops then were nothing like they are today,in fact I can hardly remember any - except for Furniture and TV sets.Oxfam may have been around but when you getting Stuff MTM you did not go near them.

Lord Kitcheners` Valet was really 2nd Hand Gear,alongside "Granny Takes A Trip" etc., - also over in Kensington Market etc

Rod Stewart probably had Secondhand Clothes when he started "Busking" in 1962.[/quote]I used to love Greenwich Market. In 98 I picked up an olive green Burberry trenchcoat. I'd only had it a short time- had some people back to mine after clubbing; in a moment of lovey dovey pharmaceutical goodwill I gave it away to a virtual stranger. ....... idiot!
    Ps the trouble with charity shops is that you can't say to the old dear helping out; Love the jacket- have you got it in a 42 short arm?

20. browniecj

In those days M-o-M it was not 2ndHand but "Antique Clothing" :D