• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Men's clothing in Santiago, Chile?

Tesla

Reaction score
Originally Posted by latindandy
American style clothes brands:
BB, RL (Polo in every mall, BL in the Vitacura Shop). The variety is quite limited and the prices aren't as competitive as in the US.

There are several tailors, my favourite is Atilio Andreoli but he only uses the cloth he sells (Loro Piana). Suits cost around 2.000 US$. Other tailors(sastrerÃa) are Ugarte (shirts are 150 US$) and Cubillos.

There is a cloth seller in Isidora Goyenechea who has a big cloth collection (Castro Donoso). You can ask for directions over there (an average tailor will charge from 500 US$ for a suit excluding the cloth).

Luxury brands (Zegna, Hermes, S. Ferragamo) can be found in Alonso De Cordova.

There are small shops in the malls that carry a nice selection. A lot of the chilean life is carried in the malls since there aren't many things to do in Santiago.

Standard business clothing consists in a striped charcoal suit and black shoes (oxford/derby).
As someone stated before the use sweaters under the suit is fairly common, but I would avoid it if I was working in an elitist context. Coats are uncommon due to their high prices.

The weather is dry, and that makes summer hotter and winter colder.

This. I live in Santiago and I might add that there's a store that sells Crockett & Jones and BB sells its Peal & Co shoes. If you want to have shoes here I'd recommend you bring'em from the US since the selection (besides the ones I just mentioned) is full of overpriced square pointed rubber soled shoes.
There's also Zara, Hugo Boss, Armani and a local store named Saville Row (not related to England but "inspired" by the famous street) which have some decent stuff like jackets with working cuffs for U$ 300.
Thrifting stores here suck for the most, and that is kind of obvious since we get everything nobody else wanted (still there might be some decent stuff once in a while).

jackdaw

Reaction score
When you extinguish the estufa at night I was told what you need is a guaton con unas (a hot water bottle with fingernails). A thick, heavy Mapuche blanket or two helps also.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Still haven't had a chance to check out the stores Latin Daddy and Tesla recommended. I'll go sometime in the next two weeks.

But... I've been here for a month. It sucks from an SF point of view. I think I've seen only one pair of shoes that someone was wearing that is anywhere near something I'd wear. Bicycle toed shoes are extremely popular. I've seen a few people wearing nice suits, but, for the most part, it's crap.

I found a nice fabric store. They didn't have any Alpaca and were trying to sell american and italian fabrics to me. I couldn't find any brand names and the SA wouldn't tell me the brand names.

I thought it would be better here...

Last edited:

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Still haven't had a chance to check out the stores Latin Daddy and Tesla recommended. I'll go sometime in the next two weeks.

But... I've been here for a month. It sucks from an SF point of view. I think I've seen only one pair of shoes that someone was wearing that is anywhere near something I'd wear. Bicycle toed shoes are extremely popular. I've seen a few people wearing nice suits, but, for the most part, it's crap.

I found a nice fabric store. They didn't have any Alpaca and were trying to sell american and italian fabrics to me. I couldn't find any brand names and the SA wouldn't tell me the brand names.

I thought it would be better here...

I didn't want to put a dampener on this thread, because I thought maybe your experiences would be different (and because I was there pre-SF), but lived there for three months a couple of years ago and to be brutally honest, I thought it was an ugly city full of people wearing ugly clothes and eating terrible food. I have never seen so much camel toe in my life. Polo shirts seemed to be as dressy as it got for most office workers, and the malls were full of average American chain stores flogging crap at highly inflated prices. Best of luck to you, but I wouldn't live there again under any circumstances.

On the upside, Cajón del Maipo is ridiculously beautiful (stay in the German-style chalet) and Mendoza is close. And the wine is excellent and very cheap.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I didn't want to put a dampener on this thread, because I thought maybe your experiences would be different (and because I was there pre-SF), but lived there for three months a couple of years ago and to be brutally honest, I thought it was an ugly city full of people wearing ugly clothes and eating terrible food. I have never seen so much camel toe in my life. Polo shirts seemed to be as dressy as it got for most office workers, and the malls were full of average American chain stores flogging crap at highly inflated prices. Best of luck to you, but I wouldn't live there again under any circumstances.

On the upside, Cajón del Maipo is ridiculously beautiful (stay in the German-style chalet) and Mendoza is close. And the wine is excellent and very cheap.

Thanks for the insight into your experiences. I agree with some of your observations. The food, so far, isn't very good. Either really bland, over cooked or deep fried.

But, I am enjoying it here. I have a good job and an awesome apartment that I'm paying under $1 per square foot, if you can imagine that! Wine is great as are the pisco sours. The people are very nice and welcoming too. We'll see how it goes. Plus, the weather is a huge upgrade from the ****** cold weather I had in Philadelphia. Argentina is close by, so I can visit BA or Mendoza if I yearn for more culture with regards to clothing and food. So far, these are my impressions after living her a month.

Last edited:

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Ah yes I forgot about the pisco sours! Also the Peruvian food is excellent. How are you going with the local dialect of Spanish though? I grappled with it, and largely (ok, completely) failed.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
hey MG, I'll be back in town next week, on 17 and 18. let me know if you are up for dinner or something.

MarceloR

Reaction score
This sort of information travels mouth to mouth in closed circles, and being neither from a high-society family nor a successful lawyer, I'm on the outside looking in. However, I believe I can contribute with the tip there's a tailor of Italian birth whose shop is located in one of the commercial galleries facing Paseo Huérfanos, corner with Miraflores. He was mentioned a year ago in a reporting piece about the state of the tailoring craft in Chile, yet I never verified this because by the time I've saved enough money for a tailored suit, the old tailor will have passed away. Perhaps you've read the piece at that time, but if not, I hope it's worth your while to visit him downtown (if he still exists).

Testudo_Aubreii

Reaction score
Updating this with photo of the bespoke suit musicguy got from Sastreria Aedo. As I recall, musicguy was after slim fit, and that's what he got. Also with Aedo's Instagram and that of Ugarte. Hat tip to @CWV for the links. Andreoli retired in 2015; Cubillos closed their shop in 2020.

Ugarte's IG shows them turning out some morning coats and tailcoats in just the last few months. Their recent IG videos show arms being raised high while jacket collars stay planted on the neck. And they've done what looks like good women's tailoring. Their website claims to offer a fast turnaround too. Three weeks total, with a basted and a forward fitting. And a third fitting if needed before final delivery/alterations. Those are lightning speeds compared to Europe and North America. Worth checking out if you live in the Southern Cone. This kind of bespoke is harder and harder to find. (I think there may only be a half-dozen or so working bespoke tailors in Buenos Aires now, like Luigi De Carlo.)

Other recent Santiago de Chile options in this thread.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member