• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

melatonin

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I take melatonin maybe once a week. My understanding is that if you take it every night your body eventually builds up resistance to it. It works great for me though. I always have really messed up dreams.

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
only use to get my sleep pattern back in sync when i have jet lag

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ same here. I start taking it several days before the flight until several days after.

I read somewhere that it is not ideal to take it all the time, because your body can become lazy and produce less of it's own natural hormone.

brokejew

Reaction score
been using it intermittentaly for almost 10 years. Helped with insomnia back then, now i use it maybe 1-2 a week to get to bed early, i just take 3MG right before bed and after reading for 30 minutes im done.

long_knives

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've done a fair bit of research on melatonin because we give it to our 6-year old daughther every night. She was experiencing severe night-time anxiety that had her up and wide awake 4 - 6 times a night. The sleep disruption was having serious effects on everybody in the family. Since taking the melatonin she sleeps soundly and her whole quality of life (and ours, by extention) is much improved. The treatment came reccomended to us by very senior doctors who work in childrens health. Their conclusion (and now mine): it's perfectly safe. There are studies that back this up.

iampeter

Reaction score
i take 1 3mg pill from Schiff (Costco) 1 hour before bed. take at 930pm, sleep at 1030

i take it every weekday as i am using it to get rest for work. on weekends, i sleep fine(distractions are gone by my bedtime on the weekends)

my mind is restless when i can hear noises, tv, or anything, so melatonin helps me go to sleep.

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do everyday 30 minutes before to sleep dr schiff melatonin.

I helps to sleep better and faster, instead of being hours on hours stressing on the bed instead.

The dreams/ nightmares are lived more... so that's they way you woke up.

kjamesuvic

Reaction score
I'd like to know more about this as well. Is there anyone who has taken it every night for an extended period of time (2+ years). Can you get to sleep if you don't take it? Any drowsiness when you wake up?

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KatrinSmith
Melatonin is LIKELY SAFE for most adults when taken by mouth short-term or applied to the skin. It can cause some side effects including headache, short-term feelings of depression, daytime sleepiness, dizziness, stomach cramps, and irritability. Do not drive or use machinery for four to five hours after taking melatonin.

I am a depressive/ suicidal and been taking melatonine, it made me sleep ok, but the morning after 12hours of sleep I was depressive, sleepy,dizzi etc.

Do you suggest is dued to melatonine?

Interesting as depressive people as me got natural very low levels of melatonine, so it should be nice to take... But who knows?

Becks23

Reaction score
I find if you are getting that groggy/unrefreshed feeling, you might be taking too much melatonin.

I previously would take 9 mg but then scaled it back to 3 or 6 and it was much better.

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been taking it for 5+ years daily with some Valerian root extract pills. Initially, I had some vivid/disturbing dreams...not any more. I do get 7 hours of very good sleep daily with only one interruption per night, no side effects attributable to it.

Thank you, Melatonin!

altie

Reaction score
It's usually worked when I've tried it. Once or twice though, it's backfired and I wake up at like 3:00am with zero desire to get back to sleep. Then I don't notice how tired I am until the afternoon.

Besides the weird dreams, sometimes it gives me a spooky feeling like I just woke up from a nightmare, but right before I get to sleep. Strange but nothing harmful.

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Becks23
I find if you are getting that groggy/unrefreshed feeling, you might be taking too much melatonin.

I previously would take 9 mg but then scaled it back to 3 or 6 and it was much better.

I do just one pill from dr. Schiff almost daily... is that too much??

Originally Posted by uhurit
I've been taking it for 5+ years daily with some Valerian root extract pills. Initially, I had some vivid/disturbing dreams...not any more. I do get 7 hours of very good sleep daily with only one interruption per night, no side effects attributable to it.

Thank you, Melatonin!

I also get weird dreams with vivid colors sometimes.

iampeter

Reaction score
i mentioned i was on Schiff, that one is listed 3mg. if you have the same one as I, 3-9mg is 1-3 pills of melatonin.

PersonalJesus

Reaction score
I work in a circadian rhythm lab... the major questions you'll have to answer are 1. what's the exact chemical structure of the compound you're taking 2. when are you taking it 3. how much

without this information, its fine to take it within a few hours of the time you actually go to bed.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member