• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sakya Duvvuru

Reaction score
Guys - sorry if this was mentioned earlier in the thread, but how can you order Meermin shoes to be shipped to USA?

How has the single monk strap sizing been? Does a UK 9 translate to a US 10? Width generally ok? (im ok as long as it is not too narrow)

Thanks

Dima

Reaction score
Got mine yesterday. Shipping to Siberia was about 3 weeks.
Sewing and finishing are quite rough, I like the leather though. A bit too wide in the heel and narrow in the toebox but fit is not bad.
The weird thing is that the cork layer is very thick and shoes feels too high.

I wear most English made shoes in 8F or 7.5G and took these ones in 8UK, which was right desicion.

DSC02403.jpg

DSC02408.jpg

Gosroth

Reaction score
Let's discuss which Meermin is most suitable to foul weather (I'm talking winter conditions with wet snow, rain, salt, a bit of mud&dirt). Question remains if a shoe made in beautiful, sunny Mallorca will ever be suitable to snowy winters to begin with, but let's leave that aside for the moment.

Firstly, everything suede is totally out, right? (I've only worn one pair of suede shoes in my life but my understanding is that rain/water is a big no-no).

Second, full rubber sole is a given.

Third, I prefer brown over black (plain personal preference, my winter coats will go poorly with black shoes).

Sadly, the combination of the above factors seem to rule out most of what's listed on the homepage currently (both boots are in suede, for example).

What's left is pretty much the bluchers:

Elegant cap toe on the equally elegant Ama last, but sadly leather soles:

http://www.meermin.es/ficha_articulo.php?id=1931

I like the color and the grain, but plain derby is a little bit boring and... plain for my taste:

http://www.meermin.es/ficha_articulo.php?id=1947

The longwing is more attractive, but the brown one has a leather sole (albit a double) and the black (which has rubber), is, well, black. Sigh.

http://www.meermin.es/ficha_articulo.php?id=1958

http://www.meermin.es/ficha_articulo.php?id=2342

101097 - D
Perhaps this split-toe in brown with rubber sole is the best option currently. Biggest drawback is however that I already have two pairs in the exactly same color... maybe different shades of brown in the shoe polish will give them each a different patina, or is this generally a bad idea?

http://www.meermin.es/ficha_articulo.php?id=2341

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can join me in an order of a brown shell shortwing blucher with dainite sole. :satisfied:

Gosroth

Reaction score
Got mine yesterday. Shipping to Siberia was about 3 weeks.
Sewing and finishing are quite rough, I like the leather though. A bit too wide in the heel and narrow in the toebox but fit is not bad.
The weird thing is that the cork layer is very thick and shoes feels too high.

I wear most English made shoes in 8F or 7.5G and took these ones in 8UK, which was right desicion.

[FONT=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif]I got my pair of double monks yesterday as well, and I was initially enthralled as it's the first time I've been able to afford something at this level of quality (I payed about the same as I usually do for shoes, but I do feel I got substantially more for those monies this time). I'm personally quite fond of the thick corck layer and the rather high shoe, but millage my differ of course, esp. considering your got a pair of loafers. My shoe is Hiro last size 9UK and while they could probably be a tiny big snugger (my feet lenght is about 27.5 mm) it´s probably safer to err on the roomy side to accomodate bigger socks, insoles and/or swollen feet.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif]One question tough: after close inspection this morning, I did find a roughly pin-head sized indent to the upper leather. I don't know if this is worth raising a fuss over (and at this price point, I might even feel a bit silly for doing so), but I'd love to hear from more experienced shoe buyers across different price points what you think about this level of imperfections straight out of the box (I realize the obvious things, namely that 1. If these where John Lobbs or something, it'd probably be enough to have them labeled seconds and 2. these are not John Lobbs and come at 1/6 of the price).[/FONT]

Jmen

Reaction score
I also received my Penny Loafers today. Here's a picture of them:

I'll post more pics later today.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

[COLOR=000000][SIZE=9pt]I got my pair of double monks yesterday as well, and I was initially enthralled as it's the first time I've been able to afford something at this level of quality (I payed about the same as I usually do for shoes, but I do feel I got substantially more for those monies this time). I'm personally quite fond of the thick corck layer and the rather high shoe, but millage my differ of course, esp. considering your got a pair of loafers. My shoe is Hiro last size 9UK and while they could probably be a tiny big snugger (my feet lenght is about 27.5 mm) it´s probably safer to err on the roomy side to accomodate bigger socks, insoles and/or swollen feet.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR=000000][SIZE=9pt]One question tough: after close inspection this morning, I did find a roughly pin-head sized indent to the upper leather. I don't know if this is worth raising a fuss over (and at this price point, I might even feel a bit silly for doing so), but I'd love to hear from more experienced shoe buyers across different price points what you think about this level of imperfections straight out of the box (I realize the obvious things, namely that 1. If these where John Lobbs or something, it'd probably be enough to have them labeled seconds and 2. these are not John Lobbs and come at 1/6of the price).[/SIZE][/COLOR]
Let it be. Tiny little imperfections happen. If not before you wear them surely within the first couple of wearings. It will polish out eventually anyway.

Last edited:

Jakezero

Reaction score

You can join me in an order of a brown shell shortwing blucher with dainite sole. :satisfied:

I hope that you'll do us the courtesy of posting images of the shoes once you get them :). I'd like to see how they handle shortwings, as I think I'll inquire about the possibility of getting a shortwing boot made once I've received and tested my norwegians.

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since I'm often the one asking about pics and reviews from other Meermin owners, not doing so would be quite hypocritical. :embar:

Let it be. Tiny little imperfections happen. If not before you wear them surely within the first couple of wearings. It will polish out eventually anyway.

+1

Last edited:

kev777

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Firstly, everything suede is totally out, right? (I've only worn one pair of suede shoes in my life but my understanding is that rain/water is a big no-no).

Never subscribed to this opinion and have worn my suedes in all weather with no visible signs of any damage in fact less so than calf shoes/boots. I have at least 4/5 suedes with dainite soles that see regular "wet wear" that after a quick suede brush look as good as new. All have been treat with Collonil water repellant and i dont see any problem. At least 2 Northampton manufacturers in conversation just couldnt see the fuss as to why people are so "uptight" about suede in the wet i subscribe, after years of doing so, to that camp !!!

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ This I agree, NAMOR posted some time ago a video of fully water repellent suede after some Red Wing's spray was applied.

Found it:

Last edited:

spitshine123

Reaction score
Just took a look at the Meermin site and I am very intrigued by their suede options. Would anyone with experience with AE lasts chime in about how they compare to Meermin sizing? I am a great fit with the 5 last on AE (and a bad one with the 2 and 7 lasts because of the narrowness of the toebox), and from the looks of it, it looks like the Hiro last would be a similar shape. If I am a 8.5D on the AE 5 last, what size/ last would be a good fit for me? A quick search only yielded one poster who converted their US size to UK size with ok success.

Sorry for not having any experience with fancy english lasts for comparison
biggrin.gif
Thanks!

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, if Meermin indeed has nothing to do with Carmina (other than family relation), wouldn't it be wise to edit the title to limit confusion to a minimum?

Last edited:

tv2177

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Here few & dirty pics of my Meermin Oxford shoes.
Hope this helps in showing the Hiro last.
Ciao
Engi

wow, I think I am going to place an order of this pair instead of AE's Park Ave. Any recommendation as to who should I contact for buying?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads