• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

massive kitchen + superbly talented chef ... what would you bring him to cook?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
amen on the undercooked vegetables. there was a real fashion at one point for something called "crisp-tender." this has been one of my pet peeves for at least 10 years. i think in part that was a reaction to the mushy vegetables of the past, in part perhaps a misunderstanding of Japanese and Chinese vegetable cooking. to me, the worst offense is against carrots. Properly cooked (tender through), they are delicious; undercooked (still crunchy), they taste like parsley ... and not in a good way.
What is your feeling on asparagus? It can get awfully mushy, but it seems that nowadays people want to have it much crunchier than it ought to be. When they are tiny, whatever, but when you have those lovely big asparagus and somebody undercooks them, keeps them crunchy, it is a crime against humanity IMO.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate crunchy asparagus that taste like I'm biting into a green stem. If I had to choose, I'd get them mushy (but tasty) any day.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
if the spears are tinner than a pencil, I like them a little crunchy myself (but still grilled or blanched). If they're thick, I like them peeled and cooked well.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
What is your feeling on asparagus? It can get awfully mushy, but it seems that nowadays people want to have it much crunchier than it ought to be. When they are tiny, whatever, but when you have those lovely big asparagus and somebody undercooks them, keeps them crunchy, it is a crime against humanity IMO.

Originally Posted by gomestar
if the spears are tinner than a pencil, I like them a little crunchy myself (but still grilled or blanched). If they're thick, I like them peeled and cooked well.

what they said. we have a few iconic foods in our house ... things that really signify the season ... Oysters in the fall, Dungeness crab in the winter and the first big fat spears of asparagus in the spring. these must be peeled fairly deeply (the peel is much more fibrous than skinny spears), and they should be thoroughly cooked, just to the point beyond which it will change color. the texture is like mousse and the flavor is unbelievable.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Peeling. There's another thing that was /boggle to me. Peeling broc stalks? No, you just simmer those huge stalks for five hours, don't you?

The whole concept of veggies being tasty is still something that amazes me.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
what they said. we have a few iconic foods in our house ... things that really signify the season ... Oysters in the fall, Dungeness crab in the winter and the first big fat spears of asparagus in the spring. these must be peeled fairly deeply (the peel is much more fibrous than skinny spears), and they should be thoroughly cooked, just to the point beyond which it will change color. the texture is like mousse and the flavor is unbelievable.

didn't you have a video once that had ridiculous asparagus spears? They were like rolling pins, I rarely see that stuff out east.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
didn't you have a video once that had ridiculous asparagus spears? They were like rolling pins, I rarely see that stuff out east.
We get those every day during the spring at the markets. Some are about thumb size. Personally, I don't love the thin ones unless they are wild asparagus, but I have only eaten those in Paris at fancy restaurants.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the thin white ones with a simple vinaigrette or a mousseline. Basic "cafÃ
00a9.png
du coin" comfort food for me. Same with poireau vinaigrette. People don't really eat cold leek in the US, do they?

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah, they're pretty thick ... as matt says, about as big around as your thumb. i like the skinny asparagus, too (and not just wild in parisian restaurants). i use those in omelettes, frittatas, risottos ... just add them at the last minute and they still have a slight bit of crunch.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
We get those every day during the spring at the markets. Some are about thumb size. Personally, I don't love the thin ones unless they are wild asparagus, but I have only eaten those in Paris at fancy restaurants.

perhaps east coast/west coast thing. Thumb sized would be on the big size here, I have small fingers and index sized is what I get most from my farmer.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thumb-size is definitely on the big size here, too. maybe it's different in the bay area ... spoiled babies ... but i have to really search out those fat asparagus, in fact, there's only one farmers market vendor who has them regularly.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Almost any vegetable has the potential to be cooked several different ways. Never liked potatoes to be too toothsome. Never got the whole uncooked mushroom thing...

Asparagus is probably my favorite vegetable.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
^Your buddy in Yountville does turned veg all the time. As does my old buddy in Healdsburg.

That said, I still don't like it that well as a technique. Seems like a waste of time to me, and it doesn't make the food look or cook any better.

I made this for you, Kyle. First time in like 15 years. Kind of sucks, IMO, and I hate this technique.

photo18ow.jpg

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Bumping this thread, as I had woefully undercooked cauliflower out at a restaurant last night.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads