• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Massages: Are they worth it?

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just want to add that if you have a hangover, a trip to the spa will do the trick, with or without a massage. just drink a lot of water and sit in the steam room, then use the jacuzzi, then the cold bath or cold shower.

parmanjatt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
just want to add that if you have a hangover, a trip to the spa will do the trick, with or without a massage. just drink a lot of water and sit in the steam room, then use the jacuzzi, then the cold bath or cold shower.
who's the girl in ur sig?! btw, to the ppl that were saying stuff about toxins and acid crap, its just lactic acid which reversibly turns back into pyruvate when ur muscles recieve oxygen when u rest after a hard workout. it was on the news or some **** a couple days back that massages reduce blood flow, which would mean reduce oxygen flow, and thus i'd assume they would be worse for u, from a strait biology point of view @HomerJ, how could getting rid of ur myoglobin possibly help ur muscles feel better? Wouldn't u be depriving urself of oxygen again? but they still feel damn good so just get one

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by parmanjatt
who's the girl in ur sig?!

btw, to the ppl that were saying stuff about toxins and acid crap, its just lactic acid which reversibly turns back into pyruvate when ur muscles recieve oxygen when u rest after a hard workout.
it was on the news or some **** a couple days back that massages reduce blood flow, which would mean reduce oxygen flow, and thus i'd assume they would be worse for u, from a strait biology point of view

@HomerJ, how could getting rid of ur myoglobin possibly help ur muscles feel better? Wouldn't u be depriving urself of oxygen again?

but they still feel damn good so just get one

Are you sure you heard this right?

Massages (unless some new kind of research has come up) should increase blood flow in addition to releasing serotonin. That's why water is needed because it helps with the increased circulation caused by the massage.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gradstudent78
From http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/l...cle6387962.ece
As much as I don't want to believe it, it seems to be what the article is saying. Maybe the only benefit is the release of serotonin which is why people feel better? Plus, the article is really just focused on the removal of lactic acid and faster recovery after workouts. That doesn't really discuss any other benefits of massage.

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
The only way to get rid of "toxins" is to go the bathroom. The body detoxes itself. (Eat more fiber and drink more water if you want to speed things along).

Massage benefits are only temporary. There is no lasting benefit.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This review sums up it up. No measureable effect of massage on muscle damage repair, blood flow, inflammatory response, ability to contract forcefully, fatigue recovery, etc. But it does have effects on muscle relaxation, mood, myofascial pain. I know it works for me in getting "knots" out.
Originally Posted by parmanjatt
who's the girl in ur sig?! btw, to the ppl that were saying stuff about toxins and acid crap, its just lactic acid which reversibly turns back into pyruvate when ur muscles recieve oxygen when u rest after a hard workout. it was on the news or some **** a couple days back that massages reduce blood flow, which would mean reduce oxygen flow, and thus i'd assume they would be worse for u, from a strait biology point of view @HomerJ, how could getting rid of ur myoglobin possibly help ur muscles feel better? Wouldn't u be depriving urself of oxygen again? but they still feel damn good so just get one
I wasn't saying that clearing myoglobin would necessarily make you feel better. I was trying to think of a rationale for drinking water after massage. Damaged muscle tissue releases myoglobin as does massage of painful muscles. Myoglobin is toxic to kidney tissues so maybe it can be diluted by drinking water?

turboman808

Reaction score
Not to big on the massage thing. Only had one where the woman seemed to have th skills to do it right. Massages from guys just give me the creeps.

The best massage I ever had turned out pretty bad afterwards. She was able to really releave all the stress I carry up in my shoulder muscles. I mean I really felt relaxed. However she pushed on something a bit to much in the base of my skull and left me with a week long migrain and I never have headaches.

After that I don't bother with them anymore. ALways more trouble then they are worth.

bankboss

Reaction score
I remember receiving a gift certificate to Massage Envy for a massage around Christmas time. That was the first time I actually went and had one done. Wasn't too bad, but not worth much more than the prices quoted in this thread.

BankerBoi

Reaction score

Flamboyant

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HomerJ

I tend to agree, however, a deep massage of tender muscles could cause myoglobin leakage from the cell into the plasma. Drinking water would help the kidneys deal with that. If your muscles are not tender then that's not likely.

Bahahaha
bounce2.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads