• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Manti' Teo's Dead Girlfriend a hoax

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My guess would be everyone who bought into the lie, potential future employers, the media outlets he duped, and those of us blessed with a penchant for schadenfreude.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
jeez, everywhere I go online this is a story so I can't ignore it :brick:

so do I understand this correctly, the guy is a good college football player, his cousin or something is now admitting to making up this girlfriend that Teo claimed to have? But did they use a girl to fake being his girlfriend (they went out on dates, hooked up etc) or was this all pen pal type ****? Because if he never met this "girlfriend" and this was all online and on the phone, to me that is 100x worse.

nate10184

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i think Lance Armstrong was behind the hoax because he knew he was gonna need something to take a bit of the heat off him after the Oprah thing

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How is this news let alone national news? Sometimes you yanks really confuse me.

lefty

Last edited:

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone remember Yahoo! chat rooms?

A lot of catfishing

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How is this news let alone national news? Sometimes you yanks really confuse me.

lefty

Soccer fan?

To put it in perspective, this would be like if Pele were discovered to be drinking Sunny Delight from a Tang bottle and claiming he didn't know that it had been switched, even though a donkey could tell the difference. or something...

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ive concluded that the only path for Manti to salvage his reputation is to come out of the closet, whether hes actually a gay or not.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Soccer fan?

To put it in perspective, this would be like if Pele were discovered to be drinking Sunny Delight from a Tang bottle and claiming he didn't know that it had been switched, even though a donkey could tell the difference. or something...

Had you said Gordie Howe you might have had me.

I guess I just don't understand the media obsession with a college kid and his girlfriend - imaginary or not. As near as I can tell (and I haven't read much) he did nothing illegal or in any way compromised his school or team. So, duped or a hoax, why would anyone give a **** other than as a WTF human interest story. But leading every news outlet for a week? Crazy.

I also hate the fact that this is bringing more attention to that ******* idiotic Catfish movie (OMG - people on the interweb are not who they say they are!) and its producers.

lefty

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Had you said Gordie Howe you might have had me.

I guess I just don't understand the media obsession with a college kid and his girlfriend - imaginary or not. As near as I can tell (and I haven't read much) he did nothing illegal or in any way compromised his school or team. So, duped or a hoax, why would anyone give a **** other than as a WTF human interest story. But leading every news outlet for a week? Crazy.

I also hate the fact that this is bringing more attention to that ******* idiotic Catfish movie (OMG - people on the interweb are not who they say they are!) and its producers.

lefty 

It appears this wasn't the actual media, it was some ****** website named Deadspin which apparently is not part of the legitimate media. I have since discovered it is also a sister site of Gawker. So I'm fairly sure everything they reported was false.

Legitimate news organizations don't tell people to go **** him or herself, no matter how hateable Donald Trump is.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not talking about Trump, but every other media outlet that jumped on the OMGcollegefootballfakegirlfriendCATFISH! or whatever the hell they been talking about all week. And they have all been talking about it.

lefty

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well I was referring to the source of this story, Deadspin. Pretty sure everything they print is a lie so I'd double check any other news source that cites them.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I having trouble being understood - I don't give a **** what the source is or who knew what. I'm just ASTOUNDED that every network, cable news org and major newspaper has spent a week talking about some college kid's pretend GF. This has received equal attention to Armstrong's "coming out" - a bigger story that has real legal consequences.

Maybe I just don't understand the fervor about college football and wish someone could explain to me why this is a story of national interest.

lefty

Last edited:

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I having trouble being understood - I don't give a **** what the source is or who knew what. I'm just ASTOUNDED that every network, cable news org and major newspaper has spent a week talking about some college kid's pretend GF.  This has received equal attention to Armstrong's "coming out" - a bigger story that has real legal consequences.

Maybe I just don't understand the fervor about college football and wish someone could explain to me why this is a story of national interest.

lefty

I haven't seen this story anywhere but here, and by extenstion, Deadspin. As the Deadspin article is entirely false I would gather to guess the rest of them are false too.

Wait, I did see it on RedEye Friday. So it might be true.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads