• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Manila Tailor

Ethan79

Reaction score
I will be going to Manila for a friend's wedding. I made it a point to at least stay a while in HK for a tailored suit prior to the said event. However I would like to ask if the status of the bespoke industry in the country has improved? I've back-read posts from this thread and have heard quite a lot of negatives, if not "so-so"s in response to Manila tailors. Just like to confirm (or reconfirm) designated status of the Philippines as a Sartorial Wasteland.

btw, the wedding is more or less 9 months from September. So I pretty much have time for HK in case PH fails to make the cut.

Special mention to acidboy: I would be delighted to hear your thoughts on this (based on previous posts in this thread).
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Edit/s: Added wedding event timeframe.

Cheers,
Ethan

Last edited:

krakatoa

Reaction score
As always, it depends on the quality you expect and how much you're prepared to spend. In my view, tailors here in Manila cannot compete on a quality basis with even mid-range counterparts in HK. First is the access (or lack thereof) to better cloths (Scabal, H&S, W. Bills etc), and second (as far as I'm aware) is the lack of family-owned tailor shops with proper tailoring techniques passed down from father to son. However, if you bring quality fabric (make sure to bring extra unless - or maybe even if - you're damn sure of the tailor's skill!) and have the experience and patience to spend hours giving your local tailor directions (and ensuring that they follow them...), a locally-made suit would certainly be a good value proposition. For my workwear (which is important to me) I just bite the bullet and fly to HK for the day for each fitting and pick up (which admittedly becomes pricy). I'm far from alone within the AB demographic here in that respect. On those (rare) occasions when I'm tempted to make a suit in Manila, I think back to a friend who married here a few years ago, had a suit made locally (can't remember whether Kingsmen or Bergamo) and was sorely disappointed (and quite uncomfortable on his big day). There may be small local tailors of which I'm unaware who are exceptions to the rule (if so, I'd like to hear about them from more knowledgeable locals).

Ethan79

Reaction score
As always, it depends on the quality you expect and how much you're prepared to spend. In my view, tailors here in Manila cannot compete on a quality basis with even mid-range counterparts in HK. First is the access (or lack thereof) to better cloths (Scabal, H&S, W. Bills etc), and second (as far as I'm aware) is the lack of family-owned tailor shops with proper tailoring techniques passed down from father to son. However, if you bring quality fabric (make sure to bring extra unless - or maybe even if - you're damn sure of the tailor's skill!) and have the experience and patience to spend hours giving your local tailor directions (and ensuring that they follow them...), a locally-made suit would certainly be a good value proposition. For my workwear (which is important to me) I just bite the bullet and fly to HK for the day for each fitting and pick up (which admittedly becomes pricy). I'm far from alone within the AB demographic here in that respect. On those (rare) occasions when I'm tempted to make a suit in Manila, I think back to a friend who married here a few years ago, had a suit made locally (can't remember whether Kingsmen or Bergamo) and was sorely disappointed (and quite uncomfortable on his big day). There may be small local tailors of which I'm unaware who are exceptions to the rule (if so, I'd like to hear about them from more knowledgeable locals).

Appreciate the inputs krakatoa. I guess I'll be staying in Hong Kong for a few months prior to the wedding for the suit. Had I tried my luck in Manila, this would've probably have been a logistical and sartorial nightmare. I'll read up on the HK tailors for more information.

Again, many thanks krakatoa.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

SNEAKEROLOGISM

Reaction score
Hi Ethan,

I was recently in the Philippines for a wedding also. I also wanted to get some suits made and had a pretty strict budget of around $1400 Australian Dollars. I ended up getting 2 suits made at Tino Suits and Barong in Makati.

Suit 1 - Fully Canvassed Jacket with Peak lapels, double vents, functioning button holes, side tab adjuster pants (Charcoal Grey Italian Fabric purchased in Sydney)
Suit 2 - Fully Canvassed Jacket with Notch lapels, double vents, functioning button holes, side tab adjuster pants (Black Wool Fabric in House cloth)

Nap Arienza is the propriertor/master tailor there. He is very knowledgeable and it was lovely discussing the history of tailoring in the Philippines as he saw it. He had previously worked for Brioni and was also the personal tailor for Joseph Estrada. The ambassador for Bangladesh was also in the store (waiting for my appointment to finish) while I was there for my first visit.

As per notes above I brought my own fabric for one suit and used their in house fabric for another. ** They also stock Holland & Sherry, Vitale Barbaris etc (these were slightly out of my price range)**

I had 3 fittings within a 2 week period and the team there did there best to accommodate my needs.
I was very happy with the results and have no problems recommending them. I wear them weekly and the fit and finish is the best I have owned. I will use them again during my next trip to Manila in a couple of years time hopefully.

As for Hong Kong I was also due to go there as well but ran out of time. I had made arrangements with Dream Bespoke who I would recommend also. I hope to use their service next time I visit there. Just going off their facebook page alone I could see their suiting would be top notch and the price point is within my means.....Ricky was also very accommodating and communicative during our dealings.

Good luck,
J M

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^ I knew that tailor. he seems like a nice gentelman. yes he did alterations for brioni waaaay back in the 90s. I've also seen his work up close but I chose not to have anything made by him. which, judging from the pics of his work, was a good idea.

Me at the fitting room of TIÑO Suits & Barongs

SNEAKEROLOGISM

Reaction score
Acid Boy - was that made to measure or off the rack? Going off those pics I wouldn't buy either. I dont normally take selfies but I will try to upload some pics of my suits as a comparison. The fit is much better

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
even if it the suit was OTR it's horrendous.

and I don't know who that gentleman is, but if you're a style blogger worth your salt you don't put up pictures like that. and if I was a good tailor I wouldn't let pictures of that float around when you google my business name- just sayin'

Last edited:

finnthehuman

Reaction score
hey guys, need your help / advise as this has been weighing very heavily on my mind.

I don't want to divulge the name of the manila tailor just yet but what should I do?

I have 1 shirt and 1 suit, plus had 2 new shirts made and have some change from what I advanced of around Php 1,000. Total money with manila tailor is around Php 28,500.

Here's my problem, tailor changed numbers, I went to tailors flat, where I usually get my stuff done, but as tailor still lives there, hasn't been home for weeks now.

What to do? :( any advice on how to resolve this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

skullworm

Reaction score
Hey everyone. New to the forum here and I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good place to buy accessories in Manila?

I'm looking for pocket squares, collar stays and tie bars.

Thanks!

cs451

Reaction score
Hey everyone. New to the forum here and I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good place to buy accessories in Manila?

I'm looking for pocket squares, collar stays and tie bars.

Thanks!

Hello, I lived in Metro Manila for a few years back. Makati is a good area to look around for shops. I got to know a few Mayors and TV stars during my time in Muntinlupa and that is were they do their shopping.

cs451

Reaction score
hey guys, need your help / advise as this has been weighing very heavily on my mind.

I don't want to divulge the name of the manila tailor just yet but what should I do?

I have 1 shirt and 1 suit, plus had 2 new shirts made and have some change from what I advanced of around Php 1,000. Total money with manila tailor is around Php 28,500.

Here's my problem, tailor changed numbers, I went to tailors flat, where I usually get my stuff done, but as tailor still lives there, hasn't been home for weeks now.

Thanks.

Are you a white guy? This kinda thing happens a lot. You might need to get a third party (Pinoy) who can track him down. You might be able to get a PNP office to work with you in his spare time.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Thanks.

what's the guy's name?

finnthehuman

Reaction score
Thanks for the help cs451 and acidboy.

I'm Filipino by the way. Well my worst fears confirmed. I went back to his apartment last Saturday afternoon to drop off my 2nd follow up later and the guard told me since he left he hasn't come back and from what he knows he won't be coming back anymore. To quote him verbatim "wala na yan".

I feel I need to reveal his name now so if anyone can give me any leads I'd appreciate it. It's Eugenio "Mike" Tidalgo of Secret Armory.

Does anyone know him personally or have his updated number? I'm not here to slander or defame anyone, I just want my clothes or money back.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member