• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Making clothes fit better by exercising.

jedwards

Reaction score
I'm assuming the OP is genuine in his intent and I have to be honest, I do find some truth in what he is saying.

Nice clothes are a great way to look better but I still feel a guy in a polyester Topman suit is gonna look better than a morbidly obese banker in a rubinacci or anderson sheppard. I am using satire a little of course, but the point remains...

I've never spent as much as I do on tailoring as I do in the last 2 years, earlier this year, my waist went up several inches (ironically, I was overeating from the gym routine). From normal waist to a still normal waist (by british standards anyway) but it just doesn't look as good especially when one of my long time tailors told me my new waist size! So I consciously started eating less.

Anyway, I realised, why spend all those money in tailoring and have a crap body?

I don't think the op was actually saying we need to look like the cover of men's health mag - but yeah, tailoring looks better on an in shape guy. (For in shape, I mean, not overweight. I don't care about having a six pack etc)

Last edited:

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The OP's abhorrent gay-shaming and humblebragging aside, I don't think there's necessarily a contradiction inherent in caring about clothes but not caring much about your personal appearance. Some people like clothes as things in and of themselves, not just as instruments to redound to their own attractiveness. For others their clothes contributes to their persona, even if it doesn't make them sexually attractive. Winston Churchill, for instance, was no matinee idol, regardless of what he was wearing. But at the same time, his clothes contributed to who he was.

OzzyJones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now this is the conversation I hoped for!
I think exercising can bring its own problems with fit. Take someone who does heavy lifting, particularly squats; they're likely to have major issues with trousers especially if they're otherwise trim; 32-34 waist and 25-26 inch thighs for instance

Last edited:

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If people exercised more, they would perhaps look more attractive, not necessarily better. A lot of people here enjoy the beauty of tailored clothes themselves. And a better body does not make clothes look better, it makes the person look better.

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good clothing should fit and flatter. It's easier and cheaper to find clothes that fit and flatter if you have a body shape that aligns with current manufacturing norms and social expectations. But that's not the same as being fit at all. And you can be fit in different ways that cause just as many problems in getting clothes to fit and flatter.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You guys are getting sensitive over this. While over on the WIWT it's all bromance and nut sucking eachother. :embar:

on another note, I stopped working out ever since I got into a relationship. As long as I"m not Fat or have a belly I'm ok. Yep I said it.

Last edited:

jedwards

Reaction score

If people exercised more, they would perhaps look more attractive, not necessarily better. A lot of people here enjoy the beauty of tailored clothes themselves. And a better body does not make clothes look better, it makes the person look better.

Forgive me, I don't understand the split you are making.

As we are on a menswear forum, let's talk about the average western diet eating male over 40. Actually make that 25.

Serious moobs and serious pot belly.

By any measure, self confidence, attractiveness etc, he is gonna look better without those.
Look at the Japanese men on this website who are more mature but still in good shape and the clothes look better for it.. They are still slim, so we are not taking about a pumped up physique here.

You see it in the omast documentary IIRC - one of the tailors relates a story about him or another tailor he knows that doesn't like making clothes for very large men, in case that customer goes around telling everyone in Italy who his tailor is. That particular tailor did not feel his clothes look good on large men and therefore shys alway from accepting them as clients.

People are conflating "in shape" with "men's health cover model" - but i don't think that is what the op was saying....

I would venture you cant even really see spalla camicia on a guy with a doughy build if you think about it - so WHAT would be the point in spending thousands of euros on a spallacamicia neopolitan tailor?

Last edited:

hellstorm2004

Reaction score
I am currently going through the same thing, I am exercising to fit my clothes I have a at least 50 t-shirts, out of them at least 45 dont fit me anymore! Exercising to get back in shape. I don't like the way i look in the mirror. But my job always comes in the way of daily gym routine.
baldy[1].gif

Wayward

Reaction score
On a somewhat related note, I've also noticed that people in great clothes are offset by poor posture. Sure tailoring could fix that, but if the wearer stopped slouching, it'd be even better. However, like exercise, posture takes work, patience and dedication. I could go on about the benefits of it, but at the end of the day people have their own priorities in life, and it's hard to nanny someone into something that's for their own good.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Forgive me, I don't understand the split you are making.

As we are on a menswear forum, let's talk about the average western diet eating male over 40. Actually make that 25.

Serious moobs and serious pot belly.

By any measure, self confidence, attractiveness etc, he is gonna look better without those.
Look at the Japanese men on this website who are more mature but still in good shape and the clothes look better for it.. They are still slim, so we are not taking about a pumped up physique here.

You see it in the omast documentary IIRC - one of the tailors relates a story about him or another tailor he knows that doesn't like making clothes for very large men, in case that customer goes around telling everyone in Italy who his tailor is. That particular tailor did not feel his clothes look good on large men and therefore shys alway from accepting them as clients.

People are conflating "in shape" with "men's health cover model" - but i don't think that is what the op was saying....

I would venture you cant even really see spalla camicia on a guy with a doughy build if you think about it - so WHAT would be the point in spending thousands of euros on a spallacamicia neopolitan tailor?

I think we agree in that morbid obesity doesn't really make most clothes look good, but that's far from the average WAYWRN poster. And with the right tailoring, even a doughy build can carry beautiful clothes - the man inside just won't look attractive or athletic, but the clothes will look great. Winston Churchill is a good example.

vida

Reaction score

Good clothing should fit and flatter. It's easier and cheaper to find clothes that fit and flatter if you have a body shape that aligns with current manufacturing norms and social expectations. But that's not the same as being fit at all. And you can be fit in different ways that cause just as many problems in getting clothes to fit and flatter.

Exactly. I'm a runner and I have a 29 inch waist/36r/...very difficult to find good fitting clothes. Most rtw is cut for a guy with a 5 or 6 inch drop. And no, I'm not 26, i'm in my late 40's. BUT I do agree that people (women too) who are out of shape have certain challenges wearing tailored clothes.

skeen7908

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Agree with the OP. Lots of money being spent by people who still look awful.

These people are obviously vain, as evidenced by the amount of time/money/concern they spend on their clothing. I can't understand why that vanity is not also expressed in concern for their physique.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads