• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Major Kitchen Appliances

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by freshcutgrass
Speaking of major appliances, what have you decided in terms of heating/cooling/domestic hot water? The reason i ask, is that you don't have municipal services (water, natural gas), you are doing a new build, and I assume you have a fair sized lot. This makes you a good candidate for Geo (I'm a certified Geo installer). The fact that you already have a well means the possibility of an open system, which is even cheaper.

We haven't quite gotten that far yet. We have our first meeting with our builder on Tuesday next. We've got about two acres. We are thinking of at least doing a solar heating for our pool. Odds are fairly good we might have city water prior to ground breaking, but we plan to use the well for pool and gardening purposes, even if we get city water. We will not break ground for at least 18 months, due to some variables in the current political situation.

freshcutgrass

Reaction score
We are thinking of at least doing a solar heating for our pool.
This is an outdoor, seasonal pool?

If so, this is always a big bonus for people who have geo, as instead dumping the heat from your house into the earth during cooling, you just dump it into the pool instead. It's totally free (except for the heat pump of course). This is where your free domestic hot water comes from as well. Solar is expensive, intrusive, not available 24/365, and doesn't last forever.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by freshcutgrass
This is an outdoor, seasonal pool?

If so, this is always a big bonus for people who have geo, as instead dumping the heat from your house into the earth during cooling, you just dump it into the pool instead. It's totally free (except for the heat pump of course). This is where your free domestic hot water comes from as well. Solar is expensive, intrusive, not available 24/365, and doesn't last forever.

The pool is outside, but not really seasonal in the same sense as it is, in your neck of the woods. I am worried about the life of the solar system. I might just pass, and only heat the spa tub.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
we will be on a propane tank system, as my lot does not yet have gas or city water (we have a well).
Well water and propane here also. In this case, Pio, one thing you must check about the range is how they convert for propane (natural gas comes in at lower pressure than propane delivered out of a tank and this is not 100% compatible to to flow rates orifice size and other engineery things). When I was shopping, Viking, Wolf, and DCS (the biggies back then) merely utilized an adjustment in the units to convert to propane. This resulted in BTU loss. I found this unacceptable. Thermador offered a kit for $75 that let me swap out the orifices in all the burner heads and the grill so I could maintain the max rated heat output, and that was the final selling point for the stove we got.
Originally Posted by iammatt
^^^ We had problems with our Wolf grill smoking when we first got it. Then we realized that it is not good for cooking skin on chicken breasts, or anything else with a lot of surface fat. It does very well with hot dogs, burgers etc, and also with fish, if you leave the scales on a whole one. Overall, it is only ok, and no substitute for an outdoor grill.
I have still been known to set off the smoke detectors when using the grill, even with 1000CFM. It's not that it smokes any more than an outdoor grill, of course, just that it can't merely exhaust....everywhere like outdoors. True, it isn't an outdoor grill, and the temps aren't as high as over charcoal, but I'd really miss it! ~ H

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^^^ I have mixed feelings about indoor grills. I certainly prefer them to a skillet for some things, though I am not exactly sure why, since they don't impart any flavor. Still, grilling burgers, steak etc just seems more right than cooking it in a pan. My favorite toy, however, is my Big Green Egg. I cannot recommend it highly enough. http://www.biggreenegg.com/

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is what you are are going to put in your kitchen:
Bluestar Range....in what ever size. It has open burners, but these are as simple as it gets, so no worries. You could also just get a range style cook top for looks. Just get a Blue Star
Get Kitchen Aid Architect II 30 Inch double convection ovens
Miele or Bosch DW, or Fischer and Paykel is good, do not get Thermador, Viking, Wolf DW, they are just rebadged over priced Bosch. If you have not had a Eurostyle DW, they do not dry dishes, but they clean super well.
Now on a fridge, get Electrolux twins, or better yet, get the Fridgedaire twins ($1500.00 for the pair), which are essentially full size stainless steel units that are made for small eateries. They are cheap, well made, and do an excellent job of keeping food. They do not have internet access or espresso in the door.
Get an over powered food disposal (1 HP)
Get instant hot water with filtered water
Range Hood, DO NOT SKIMP ON THE HOOD. Over size it for the blue star and go at least 1500 CFM with a remote blower.
That is a high performance, no bullshit kitchen that looks good, does not have un-necessary cost, and will hold value for years and years.

Pundit

Reaction score
Are remote blowers typically still inside the structure or outside in weather? Curious if they are necessarily built for outside/weather abuse.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I continue to appreciate the input. Hunts, thank you for the tip on propane! It will be heeded. We hope to have muny water and gas in the next several years there.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We bought a fridge (26 cf. french door SS) and stove from Samsung last year. They are great afaiac and you can get good deals by shopping around. The convection oven is excellent with three fans and it's huge at 5.7 cf.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pundit
Are remote blowers typically still inside the structure or outside in weather? Curious if they are necessarily built for outside/weather abuse.

They are definitely outside. I don't know, but must assume, they are designed to take a beating in the weather.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Remote blowers are installed in the attic and are inside the roof structure and vent out on a horizontal line.
It is a bit pricy but well worth it.
Seriously look at bluestar!

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
Remote blowers are installed in the attic and are inside the roof structure and vent out on a horizontal line.
It is a bit pricy but well worth it.
Seriously look at bluestar!

The one at my father's house is outside, on the roof. I think it's a Vent-a-hood.

fredfred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, so, so.

So, why does every sentence have to begin with "so"?

So, if I don't use it to begin my sentences am I not up to date?

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fredfred
So, so, so.

So, why does every sentence have to begin with "so"?

So, if I don't use it to begin my sentences am I not up to date?

What the hell are you talking about?

No you are not up to date.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members