• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Made in Spain Footwear, including TLB Mallorca, Cobbler Union, Yanko, Norman Vilalta, etc

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone own both these and some Carminas that can speak to their differences? Which should I go with? I'm honestly torn. Carmina has a lot more lasts though which is awesome
Basically, by doing a strict comparison of construction, TLB beats Carmina. But if you are not so concerned about the finer details then Carmina has more leather options, more last options, more sole options, and more style options. So if there is a shoe from Carmina that TLB has an equivalent of, then I would go with TLB, but if you wanted a U- cap wingtip boot made with Blue, Green, and Natural Shell cordovan on a very casual rounded toe last with an Aspen sole made from hevea milk then you are gonna have to go with Carmina.

Yeah, it surely happens a lot between budget welted shoes and good midrange shoes. It's a bit like for bicycles, a road bike or mountainbike at €1,000 is way behind a bike at around €2,000 in all regards, while you have to pay much more for smaller differences going from that, the €2,000 bike is not that big of a difference compared to a €5,000 bike.

Regarding the second thing, of course, you have to like the style you’re going for. And, fit need to be good. I mean, a pair of Allen Edmonds can be a better purchase for you than both of the ones mentioned here, if you like their style much more and if you have a last that fits you much better from them.

I don't think everyone realises what a ridiculously good deal TLB and especially Artista is, and especially for people in the states. I mean, the RRP in Europe is great, a lot of bang for the buck, perhaps the best price-quality ratio available. And all lucky bastards over there have a very strong dollar now and can get it minus the 20-25% VAT, with free shipping, without having to pay any import dutys or taxes. It's bloody crazy!!

I would be stocking up on shitloads of Artistas if I were a US guy, even if there's no changes on the horizon, one never know, currencies can fluctuate to make it less favourable, some new large retailers in the states might not accept EU retailers selling without VAT, the $800 limit for tax free private imports might change (for me being a EU citizen, I can't understand why Trump nags over the presumable EU favourable situation when it comes to customs etc, when we private persons have to pay shitloads of customs and VAT etc for everything we bring from the US to Europe), etc.
And yes, if you are in the US (like me), then you are gonna pay a higher mark up for those special Carmina's too.

Last edited:

RickyTakhar

Reaction score
Yeah, it surely happens a lot between budget welted shoes and good midrange shoes. It's a bit like for bicycles, a road bike or mountainbike at €1,000 is way behind a bike at around €2,000 in all regards, while you have to pay much more for smaller differences going from that, the €2,000 bike is not that big of a difference compared to a €5,000 bike.

Regarding the second thing, of course, you have to like the style you’re going for. And, fit need to be good. I mean, a pair of Allen Edmonds can be a better purchase for you than both of the ones mentioned here, if you like their style much more and if you have a last that fits you much better from them.

I don't think everyone realises what a ridiculously good deal TLB and especially Artista is, and especially for people in the states. I mean, the RRP in Europe is great, a lot of bang for the buck, perhaps the best price-quality ratio available. And all lucky bastards over there have a very strong dollar now and can get it minus the 20-25% VAT, with free shipping, without having to pay any import dutys or taxes. It's bloody crazy!!

I would be stocking up on shitloads of Artistas if I were a US guy, even if there's no changes on the horizon, one never know, currencies can fluctuate to make it less favourable, some new large retailers in the states might not accept EU retailers selling without VAT, the $800 limit for tax free private imports might change (for me being a EU citizen, I can't understand why Trump nags over the presumable EU favourable situation when it comes to customs etc, when we private persons have to pay shitloads of customs and VAT etc for everything we bring from the US to Europe), etc.
Do TLB have access to grain leather? Such as horween, also would a gmto of the j&fj russian be possible. I think the STD model would look killer on russian grain

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do TLB have access to grain leather? Such as horween, also would a gmto of the j&fj russian be possible. I think the STD model would look killer on russian grain

Grain leather yes, mainly scotch grain from Du Puy. No hatch grain stuff at the moment, but Toni is browsing new leathers all the time so surely a chance for something to be added.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any burgundy or oxblood grain?

These are the ones available ATM:
1669B482-BF7F-4CB8-8E46-3522423ADBE5.jpeg

The brown one has a clear red tint to it though.

gmehra

Reaction score

its also interesting that brick & mortar retail stores in the US have to pay around 5% import duty for welted shoes because of course they are ordering shoes in bulk (over $800 value for the entire shipment) then have to charge their customers state tax (8.875% in NYC as an example). these two things combined makes for a big disadvantage for brick and mortar stores vs international online retailers

Last edited:

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
Inviting @j ingevaldsson ’s kind input here:
(It’s not from Skolyx, but I can’t think of any other person as knowledgeable on TLB Artista)

Did TLB further improve the finishing of the split toe? From this recent picture of their split toe, it looks almost like a real butt-stitch split, and not the usual “decorative” (as in“not actually sewing two pieces together at the tip”) reverse stitching?

Either way, TLB seems to be able to deliver EUR 700-800 of value for half the price once again
?

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
its also interesting that brick & mortar retail stores in the US have to pay around 5% import duty for welted shoes because of course they are ordering shoes in bulk (over $800 value for the entire shipment) then have to charge their customers state tax (8.875% in NYC as an example). these two things combined makes for a big disadvantage for brick and mortar stores vs international online retailers

Yeah, still worse the other way around though :) Here in Sweden we have to pay up to 18% customs and then 25% VAT if importing shoes from the US. That's why Allen Edmonds cost more than TLB here in Sweden...

Inviting @j ingevaldsson ’s kind input here:
(It’s not from Skolyx, but I can’t think of any other person as knowledgeable on TLB Artista)

Did TLB further improve the finishing of the split toe? From this recent picture of their split toe, it looks almost like a real butt-stitch split, and not the usual “decorative” (as in“not actually sewing two pieces together at the tip”) reverse stitching?

Either way, TLB seems to be able to deliver EUR 700-800 of value for half the price once again
?

It's the same type of reverse stitch as before, the look can vary a bit depending on thickness of leather though.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Leather Healer SpTD looks like it is on the picasso last...

Most of the SpTD i have seen have been on the Goya last

View attachment 1384365

It's on the Velazquez last, here's what I wrote about that earlier:

"Velazquez is a brand new last developed after a wish from the South Korea agent, it is a soft square last with a bit wider toe and less chiseling than Picasso, looks a bit like Edward Green's 888 last. Will be available from TLB and if other retailers bring it in as well soon.

As with all TLB Artista lasts, the base lasts are exactly the same only the toe shape that differs, so the fit between Picasso, Goya, Dali (an almond toe, the first attempt on Goya which was kept) and Velazquez are all the same."

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can someone advise me on the best way to proceed? I recently purchased a pair of shoes. The length was good but there was too much volume throughout the whole shoe. I added a very thin (about 1mm) leather insole and now the fit is almost perfect. However, my fear is that when I break them in they might become too big. Do you think I should keep them? I could always add a thicker insole later? (I have already tried going down a width down and that was too tight in the toes.)

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bdp