• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mad Men Season 5

Stugotes

Reaction score
Awesome finale, the montage at the end was especially great! Can't wait for the next season!

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This season was very enjoyable. It's really great they kept it interesting for this long.

How many more seasons? Two, right?

themodestman

Reaction score
No one else thought it was a little boring? Then again, after watching the Game of Thrones finale, anything seems boring (I know, I know, two completely different shows).

Can't wait for Breaking Bad to come back on.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

No one else thought it was a little boring? Then again, after watching the Game of Thrones finale, anything seems boring (I know, I know, two completely different shows).

Yes, I noted a couple pages back that I was very underwhelmed, and I wasn't the only one. Did get to see Roger's butt, though. :inlove:

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
And yes, Breaking Bad is going to ******* ROCK!!

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Awesome finale, the montage at the end was especially great! Can't wait for the next season!

Agreed, it ranks right up there with the Babylon montage. Powerful.

Jackie Treehorn

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
And yes, Breaking Bad is going to ******* ROCK!!

Is it, though? I really don't see how much further they can take the premise without venturing into the absurd.

It seems like they're going for sort of a Godfather-esque take on the story arc, whereby Walter accepts that he's a bad guy now, and starts to fully embrace his criminal nature. That could be cool, but I'm not sure how many more enemies you can throw at him. Last season kicked 15 different kinds of ass, no doubt, but it did start to push the boundaries of realism beyond what the show's premise seems capable of bearing.

Last edited:

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Yes, I noted a couple pages back that I was very underwhelmed, and I wasn't the only one. Did get to see Roger's butt, though. :inlove:

It seemed like they decided to have the previous two episodes be the heavier hitters and not the finale. I'm ok with that, although nothing matches the Season 3 finale.

themodestman

Reaction score
Fair enough. I actually thought last season was the end until I saw the preview last week. I guess we'll see. It was definitely good enough to just end there, so hopefully they don't ruin it.

I have faith.

themodestman

Reaction score
Yeah true. They definitely could have ended with the second to last episode. But that's how Mad Men is...realistic. Big things don't happen in every episode. Rarely, in fact. And it still manages to be just as dramatic, if not more, than the most action packed, twist filled shows on TV.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
was shocked to learn from the tabloids that pete campbell is boning rory gilmore IRL.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Is it, though? I really don't see how much further they can take the premise without venturing into the absurd.

It seems like they're going for sort of a Godfather-esque take on the story arc, whereby Walter accepts that he's a bad guy now, and starts to fully embrace his criminal nature. That could be cool, but I'm not sure how many more enemies you can throw at him. Last season kicked 15 different kinds of ass, no doubt, but it did start to push the boundaries of realism beyond what the show's premise seems capable of bearing.

I've never had faith in a creative team like I have in this one. Each season has been better than the last...that's not just according to me, but to Metacritic. Unlike Mad Men, I've never felt BB has wavered in its story quality.

That being said, they now have a clean slate, story-wise. They can go in any direction they want. Since they have carte blanche, I have no doubt they've very carefully weighed all options and gone with something that won't just be "more of the same but bigger."

Every season -- EVERY one -- a number of people have predicted that the show would falter, not for any reason known to them, but they just couldn't conceive of the producers' sustained creativity. They've been wrong every time. Therefore, I see no reason to declare the patient dead until the heart actually falters.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^^^

Agree. The thing is, Walter White has never been a Don Draper/Vito Corleone alpha male. He's a deeply frustrated, weak, henpecked beta that is obsessed with willing himself to being an alpha. That makes him an infinitely more interesting character. He succeeds at times and fails at others. So far, it's all been pretty realistic. It helps that the acting and writing are fantastic.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads