• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Macophants - The new Macbook Air: you getting one?

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blairh
Yeah he definitely "showed me".
Well there was the matter of everything you said being incorrect. And the part where you admitted you don't follow any other companies than Apple so you weren't aware that their great technological "innovation" has existed for over a decade. You may very well cling for dear life to your desktop until you die. As I said, they won't stop producing them anytime soon, but they will continue to represent a smaller and smaller percentage of market share until eventually the only people who have them are either 70 years old or niche buyers (design industry, hardcore gamers, etc.). I bet you think DVDs and Blu-Ray will be around forever, too.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ramuman
Jesus, is there anything more pathetic than people arguing on the internet about computers? It's a tool to get a job done. If you like it...fine, if you don't...fine. It's just a computer.
You have 1800 posts on a clothing forum. Acting cool fail.

blairh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
Well there was the matter of everything you said being incorrect. And the part where you admitted you don't follow any other companies than Apple so you weren't aware that their great technological "innovation" has existed for over a decade. You may very well cling for dear life to your desktop until you die. As I said, they won't stop producing them anytime soon, but they will continue to represent a smaller and smaller percentage of market share until eventually the only people who have them are either 70 years old or niche buyers (design industry, hardcore gamers, etc.). I bet you think DVDs and Blu-Ray will be around forever, too.
Not a single thing I've said was incorrect. Ah yes, this "innovation" from other companies has really set the computer world ablaze. Why is it exactly that I have yet to see a Windows laptop for 1K with the specs and lightness of the new 11" MBA? And existed for "over a decade"? I'm referring to tech advancements within laptops that haven't taken place until recently, even on the non Apple side. What the **** are you talking about? You never even replied to my last response to you. What exactly is going to replace desktops? People need workstations to get **** done beyond a laptop/tablet. Do you honestly not understand that? What do you do for a living? I work in both film and fashion. Do you have any idea how many desktops I encounter on a daily basis? People NEED that screen real estate. What will people be using when they need screens larger than 17"? And forget about the workplace, what about computer use at home? People don't want something beyond a laptop screen? What the **** are you talking about??? You praised an SF troll who called me "lazy" for not wanting to connect my laptop to a monitor multiple times a day. I believe that really says all that I need to know about you. I rent Blu-ray's from Netflix and no longer own/use DVDs after ripping my entire collection. But seriously thank you for putting words in my mouth.

BankerBoi

Reaction score
I would be interested in Airbook with 4G wireless, and think it's a step up from the iPad 3G.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by epb
Not really. No one came close to Sony for thin/small laptops until the last 5-6 years. When the 505G came out, IBM's subnotebook was the 701C with the folding keyboard, then the 560 which was much larger. No one, not even Sony themselves, have matched the original Picturebook for size/performance.
So you are ignoring, or just ignorant of things like the Fujitsu Lifebook ultraportables, the Toshiba Libretto ultraportables, the HP Omnibook (which you could get with flash SSD in 1993), Thinkpad 200 and later on the X series etc. which are approximately as small, and as light (or lighter) than the 505G (which was relatively heavy at 3.1lbs) ? The Sony 505 series was not the pioneer of small and light notebooks. It wasn't even the smallest or lightest notebook available at the time it came out. It was relatively well balanced size/performace wise, but not outrageously so, and it's not as if nobody had ever seen anything like it.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a single thing I've said was incorrect.

Ah yes, this "innovation" from other companies has really set the computer world ablaze. Why is it exactly that I have yet to see a Windows laptop for 1K with the specs and lightness of the new 11" MBA? And existed for "over a decade"? I'm referring to tech advancements within laptops that haven't taken place until recently, even on the non Apple side. What the **** are you talking about?

You never even replied to my last response to you. What exactly is going to replace desktops? People need workstations to get **** done beyond a laptop/tablet. Do you honestly not understand that? What do you do for a living? I work in both film and fashion. Do you have any idea how many desktops I encounter on a daily basis? People NEED that screen real estate. What will people be using when they need screens larger than 17"? And forget about the workplace, what about computer use at home? People don't want something beyond a laptop screen? What the **** are you talking about???

You praised an SF troll who called me "lazy" for not wanting to connect my laptop to a monitor multiple times a day. I believe that really says all that I need to know about you.

I rent Blu-ray's from Netflix and no longer own/use DVDs after ripping my entire collection. But seriously thank you for putting words in my mouth.

Seriously? People need 'workstations'? Did you step out a Dilbert comic? People sometimes need big monitors. They can plug their laptops into them when they need the real estate, and take them with them when they don't. No need to buy an entire second computer.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You have 1800 posts on a clothing forum. Acting cool fail.

I don't argue about cloths. I'm also 1000 posts cooler than you. Loveyakbye.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you have any idea how many desktops I encounter on a daily basis? People NEED that screen real estate. What will people be using when they need screens larger than 17"? And forget about the workplace, what about computer use at home? People don't want something beyond a laptop screen? What the **** are you talking about???

Did you know that MONITORS come in sizes larger than 17"?

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was referring to laptops you ******* incompetent moron.

Aww,
inlove.gif

blairh

Reaction score
Seriously? People need 'workstations'? Did you step out a Dilbert comic? People sometimes need big monitors. They can plug their laptops into them when they need the real estate, and take them with them when they don't. No need to buy an entire second computer.

So in your fantasy world everyone just brings a laptops to work? Dude who the **** are you? Seriously. I honestly can't believe what I'm reading from you.

I feel like I need to explain this to a 12 year old. People go to work and get **** done on their work computers. Let's even forget the corporate setting (where most people work in cubicles with desktops or often times have a desktop machine in their office).

In the creative fields, where I work, people work on their iMac's, etc, at work. Sure, sometimes I see Macbook Pro's, laptops, but desktops are still everywhere I turn. Also a lot of people want to use their laptops at home, for personal use, and not necessarily incorporate it into their professional lives (if possible).

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So in your fantasy world everyone just brings a laptops to work?

And where <blairdumbass> the ****</blairdumbass> do you work? YES, as far as trends, THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT IS HAPPENING MORE AND MORE. Companies are finding it more economical or productive to give laptops to almost any employee who is not in a admin/support role. If you worked in any normal environment you might see this.

Let me know if you need more EMPHASIS to make it clear. If you don't believe anyone here, just go back a few pages and read the article.

blairh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
And where <blairdumbass> the ****</blairdumbass> do you work? YES, as far as trends, THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT IS HAPPENING MORE AND MORE. Companies are finding it more economical or productive to give laptops to almost any employee who is not in a admin/support role. If you worked in any normal environment you might see this.

Let me know if you need more EMPHASIS to make it clear. If you don't believe anyone here, just go back a few pages and read the article.

Given what you've directed at me before I find it impossible to take you seriously. You're just an internet forum troll baiting people by proclaiming outlandish and dumb ****. If you are serious in everything you've said to me I seriously feel bad for you.

This isn't a "trend" as you state it. Yes, laptop sales are up, but the desktop has retained a strong presence in both the work and home environment. As I stated already before I work in both fashion and film.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well there was the matter of everything you said being incorrect. And the part where you admitted you don't follow any other companies than Apple so you weren't aware that their great technological "innovation" has existed for over a decade.

You may very well cling for dear life to your desktop until you die. As I said, they won't stop producing them anytime soon, but they will continue to represent a smaller and smaller percentage of market share until eventually the only people who have them are either 70 years old or niche buyers (design industry, hardcore gamers, etc.). I bet you think DVDs and Blu-Ray will be around forever, too.

Yes and no. Technically speaking the iMac and other All-In-One computers are desktops. People are far more willing to buy an all-in-one than to buy a laptop and then pay for a separate monitor, mouse, keyboard, etc...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads