• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lower end clothes?

HeyYouItsMike

Reaction score
I am 25 years old and work full time and go to school full time. I wear a  lot of Polo and Kenneth Cole because I buy it super cheap at work. I jsut bought $69.50 Polo dress shirts for $16.00. I can't afford the expensive shoes and $2,000 suits. I feel inferior on this website because so many people talka bout high end clothing I don't have. What's wrong with the basics like Polo. Am I the only one who feels this way? Please let me know how you feel.
You shouldn't feel inferior in any way. You should feel smart because you're shopping in a way that's appropriate for your budget. If you were buying $2,000 suits on your budget, I wouldn't admire your style, I'd be shocked at your stupidity. I insist on stretching my dollars as far as possible and I usually refuse to buy something unless the price is at least 50% off. The result is that I get a lot of compliments on my clothes and people assume I'm spending a fortune. I just know how to shop and I estimate that in the past year I bought about $5,000 worth of clothes for about $1500. The key is not how much you spend but how you spend it.

soccemel

Reaction score
And God bless the Barney's Warehouse Sale.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, God Bless Filene's Basement. I've picked up a Helmut Lang sweatshirt (retail about $250) for $29, a Kiton knit shirt for $19, and have seen Corneliani suits for under $250 (at the 75% markoff). Yes, that place can be hit or miss, but the hits are generally bullseyes.

joseanes

Reaction score
I feel the same way as the original poster.
I can't afford most of the "brands" discussed on this forum, much less at full retail price.

I can, however, learn about what is good style, good materials and good workmanship, even if I will have to choose less known brands, shop in ebay, or discount stores.

Buying good quality would also mean that my clothing will last longer, and I will feel more comfortable with it for a longer ammount of time (optimizing my spending).

Said that... I would like to see more postings that help the average guy, who can't spend too much on clothing.

Leo Jay

Reaction score
I would like to see more postings that help the average guy, who can't spend too much on clothing.
POST. Â
confused.gif

ROT

Reaction score
Use the Forum as a marvelous reference site and wish book. Buy what you can afford and find a fantastic tailor -- a <$300 suit can look great when you sink the extra $100 into making it fit well. You'll still look better than 99% of the populace at large (present company excepted, Gentlemen.)

My best suit came from a lucky Filene's visit years ago. The tailoring was masterful and I am left looking and feeling like a million bucks. A while later I added a pair of Bruno Magli captoes that I found on super sale at DSW (for something like $80) which finish off nicely at the end of a pair of Pantherella socks ($7/TJ Maxx). Like they say: patience is a virtue and knowledge is power.

I am now becoming even more educated thanks to the folks here. I wait for the day when I can snatch the pebble from the masterful hands of MANTON, AHarris, and the many other members... .In the meantime, take it from me: it's all about rags to riches. Have fun and look good doing it.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
You'll still look better than 99% of the populace at large (present company excepted, Gentlemen.)
This is a very important point. Especially if you are not a stage where you can afford elite level clothes (I'm not certainly, and keep in mind much of what is discussed here is in the top 1%-5% of clothing in the world) it's unlikely you're going to be around many people who are going to look better. And if you are around management at your company who are better dressed (and can afford to be) they will be approving that you've done well with what you have. After a little time learning and shopping (try thrift.) you'll be better dressed than you thought you could be. The only time you'll feel bad is at the big Style Forum convention.
biggrin.gif

christian

Reaction score
I am 25 years old and work full time and go to school full time. I wear a  lot of Polo and Kenneth Cole because I buy it super cheap at work. I jsut bought $69.50 Polo dress shirts for $16.00. I can't afford the expensive shoes and $2,000 suits. I feel inferior on this website because so many people talka bout high end clothing I don't have. What's wrong with the basics like Polo. Am I the only one who feels this way? Please let me know how you feel.
I can't believe nobody's addressed this person's initial concern about products like Polo or KC.

There's nothing wrong with Polo.
My only complaint is that I feel it is overpriced, by maybe 20%. However, this is true for most items anyway. The quality isn't the best of the best, but it is still better than many of the other brands you see in the typical retail setting.

So, I can only suspect 2 reasons why nobody is defending Polo- its overpriced or its ubiquitous.

But, with this person's discount, there's no way we can call it overpriced. I don't know if he could do that much better if he went to the discount thrift stores or ebay without spending considerabel time and effort, which he doesn't have since he's going to school full time and working.

Basically, I feel a lot of us are sartorial snobs. We have more time than money. If Polo was some small brand which nobody had ever heard of, I think the overall reaction would have been much more positive towards Polo.

1Dgaf

Reaction score
If Polo was some small brand which nobody had ever heard of, I think the overall reaction would have been much more positive towards Polo.

Possibly. I think Polo's main problem is that it feels contrived.  Every brand is to some extent, but Polo moreso than many.  If it were a person, then Polo would be 'trying too hard'.  

Anyway, there's something a little odd and slightly annoying about an American guy selling a sort of hyper-realistic English style, especially when English people buy it.

Zubberah

Reaction score
(mrgoblueguy @ 14 Oct. 2004, 3:38) I am 25 years old and work full time and go to school full time. I wear a  lot of Polo and Kenneth Cole because I buy it super cheap at work. I jsut bought $69.50 Polo dress shirts for $16.00. I can't afford the expensive shoes and $2,000 suits. I feel inferior on this website because so many people talka bout high end clothing I don't have. What's wrong with the basics like Polo. Am I the only one who feels this way? Please let me know how you feel.
You shouldn't feel inferior in any way. Â You should feel smart because you're shopping in a way that's appropriate for your budget. Â If you were buying $2,000 suits on your budget, I wouldn't admire your style, I'd be shocked at your stupidity. Â I insist on stretching my dollars as far as possible and I usually refuse to buy something unless the price is at least 50% off. Â The result is that I get a lot of compliments on my clothes and people assume I'm spending a fortune. Â I just know how to shop and I estimate that in the past year I bought about $5,000 worth of clothes for about $1500. Â The key is not how much you spend but how you spend it.
Great response and my thoughts exactly.
cool.gif

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Talking about Polo and RL in general...

There is a tester store at the end of Newbury Street in Boston now called "Rugby" which seems to be essentially Polo for the younger set - cheaper than the blue label, slightly slimmer cuts than what RL makes for his usual fatass customers, and taking full advantage of the current craze for all things tweed and preppy. Tweed sportscoats are around $400. There are a lot of ribbon belts, long striped scarves in primary colors, eponymous rugby shirts, and so on... Personally, I think that you are better off going to thrift stores and finding 60s and 70s vintage Brooks Brothers stuff.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
And God bless the Barney's Warehouse Sale.
amen. i got a Dolce & Gabbana silver sharkskin suit with pinstripes, slimcut 3 button style for $330 which had a retail of $1495 and i had seen it months before in several magazine spreads.

also bless ebay for those rare cheap finds....i got a mint condition Ozwald Boateng slimfit 60s style 3 button suit for $260 from a guy in UK that had a buy it now option. that was a major score as it fits like a second skin, totally exuding suss.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads