• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Louis Vuitton Quality - After 3 Weeks use.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
did you buy the Epi laptop? because everyone knows that those are rubbish...the monograms are rock solid though

J888www

Reaction score
What color is the bear catching fish tie? Looks like it might be a green but maybe not...damn my crappy laptop screen!

Snidely Whiplash

Reaction score
I bought a LV black canvas backpack from the LV store on Champs d'Elysees in fall 2005 for around a thousand Euro. A few weeks after I bought it, the cord at the top that is used to pull the backpack closed burst in four or five places, so that big chunks of the interior white mesh of the cord were visible against the outside black. This had absolutely nothing to do with use and was a design flaw. I can only imagine that it was wound too tightly. That's something that doesn't happen in a $40 Eastman backpack, so you can imagine that I was pretty pissed off. I took it to a LV store in the USA but was told that it would take months to ship back and repair, so I gave up and kept the thing as-is. I still use the backpack frequently, and the rest of the backpack has held up amazingly well, but the cord design flaw makes the whole thing look kind of crappy.

So LV "Made in France" definitely does sell products with silly design flaws at times.

:censored:

jammyo40

Reaction score
So let me get this straight:

You received a small leather good that's very valuable to you, neglected it for years, and now you're crying and whining over the fact the original manufacturer won't repair your treasure because it's falling apart due to said neglect?

J888www

Reaction score

.......sabotage.......

Really ? A saboteur ? Where ? Do you not recognize yourself ?
An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, tit for tat and all that.............

The item with issue was (may it rest in peace) in pristine condition and there have been numerous reports of LV's poor QC in manufacture in the past.
This proves that I'm not whining / pooing on LV like a petulant child, they did have serious issues with their materials.

http://forum.purseblog.com/louis-vuitton-faqs/mens-wallets-582509.html
@ #1............#10.....

http://forum.purseblog.com/louis-vuitton-faqs/inside-pockets-peel-5182.html
@ #1.......#9.........especially @ #14......

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I bought a LV black canvas backpack from the LV store on Champs d'Elysees in fall 2005 for around a thousand Euro. A few weeks after I bought it, the cord at the top that is used to pull the backpack closed burst in four or five places, so that big chunks of the interior white mesh of the cord were visible against the outside black. This had absolutely nothing to do with use and was a design flaw. I can only imagine that it was wound too tightly. That's something that doesn't happen in a $40 Eastman backpack, so you can imagine that I was pretty pissed off. I took it to a LV store in the USA but was told that it would take months to ship back and repair, so I gave up and kept the thing as-is. I still use the backpack frequently, and the rest of the backpack has held up amazingly well, but the cord design flaw makes the whole thing look kind of crappy.
So LV "Made in France" definitely does sell products with silly design flaws at times.
:censored:

I just use a backpack that was given to be as a leaving present by my old school four years ago, Don't even know what brand it is, except for "http://www.dankeen.com.cn" printed on it. It should still go on for a few years yet. Certainly wouldn't buy an LV one, not at the crazy prices they're charging for the name and LV logo.

Last edited:

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You don't own a Tiffany keyring, do you?? :lol: j/k

Anyway, this was a very common problem to many LV wallets historically, especially those used in very humid climates; the interior lining was never claimed to be real leather... it's a leatherette-like synthetic and has been for a long time. As well, the non-leather coated canvas lines have been claimed as such since the company was founded in the 1850's.

Many who are relatively unfamiliar with LV are often shocked to learn their $500 wallet isn't even leather; this isn't LV's fault, though, because they never claimed anything different. FWIW, they typically have very good service and like a few other posters, think you've misinterpreted/misread their responses.

Y
The interior of LV wallets are indeed made from real leather (there should even have been a little card with the wallet stating that it's made from canvas and cowhide lining) and don't flake. )

The lining of the wallet is not real leather. The "cuir veau" or whatever the tag says is the interior of the wallet (meaning the inside facing, not the lining). The monogram wallets typically have the canvas exterior, leather interior, and then the leatherette/synthetic lining to the pockets/backing... and unfortunately this often flaked (especially in the 1990's, but it was believed that this was mostly fixed in the past 10 years worth of stuff)

Last edited:

J888www

Reaction score
In regard to durability, quality of material and craftsmanship, I have a Didier Lamarthe coin/billfold which seems to last forever and three weeks. Unfortunately, Didier Lamarth is no more, it has lost its "Didier", now it is only Lamarthe.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

In regard to durability, quality of material and craftsmanship, I have a Didier Lamarthe coin/billfold which seems to last forever and three weeks. Unfortunately, Didier Lamarth is no more, it has lost its "Didier", now it is only Lamarthe.

The issue with LV is the absurdly high price and the often gawdy style, not the quality. You had a bad experience, but in the grand scheme of LV items (of which there are hundreds of individual products produced over many years), the quality is very good. As well, the customer service is very good. Just because they aren't leather doesn't mean they are low quality; they weren't SUPPOSED to be leather. As well, LV makes a number of full-leather lines, Taiga, Nomade, Utah, Suhali, naxos, just to name a few.

In short, your situation described here is assuredly not typical, and probably will (should) do little to persuade/dissuade anyone from LV.

Last edited:

J888www

Reaction score

The issue with LV is the absurdly high price and the often gawdy style, not the quality.

I beg to differ but it IS the quality which has issues in this case and thousands of other cases but PR department hides it rather well.. Companies can charge whatever price to however gaUdy designs but we as consumers have a choice whether or not to purchase therefore there is no issue in regard to pricing. The main point is that consumers do not expect to pay for defective materials at any price especially when the manufacturer have prior knowledge that these materials are inappropriate.

In short, your situation described here is assuredly not typical, and probably will (should) do little to persuade/dissuade anyone from LV.

Maybe you have need to read through the threads more thoroughly to understand, so I provide the link just for you, again.........http://forum.purseblog.com/louis-vuitton-faqs/inside-pockets-peel-5182.html
Try telling those thousands of disgruntled Japanese LV customers that the flaking of their purchased products are assuredly not typical.......................If my main purpose is to persuade/dissuade anyone from LV, I would not have deleted all those uploaded photos.

Last edited:

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Dude, my best advice to you :

1. Let it go
2. Discuss further on purseblog.

I think you should move on to another topic here. Youre just going in circles.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads