• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for Grenadine ties

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpallaCamiccia
The first burdeoix one is great!
laugh.gif

Is it number 2 from here?

http://www.samhober.com/grenadine-silk-ties/

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sam Hober
Matt S,

If I may - one small addition to your post - ready made grenadines are typically made with triangle posts.

Square end grenadines while not popular are possible with a custom made/bespoke tie.

The tip corners would be finished the way we do our pocket squares - picture frame style.

Sounds like we found the final frontier - a six fold unlined untipped square end grenadine... the domain of the fusee/chain watch owner.

Matt S

Reaction score

Dah328,

Any chance of a close-up photo?

Matt S,

A great list.

For reference a classic grenadine weave is called in Italian "Garza Grosse" this is what we use. there is one other classic weave called as I recall "Garza Fina" We do not currently use this second weave as it is quite loose more so than the Garza Grosse.

There are weaves that are similar to the classic weaves woven outside of Italy and some tie makers may refer to them as grenadines, and they may be very beautiful silks but they are not what is considered a classic grenadine.

In England silk weavers refer to these other weaves as "Mock Grenadines". again thay can be beautiful silks but are not known as classic grenadines.

As an example Drakes uses classic grenadines.

One last point when comparing grenadines please keep in mind that ties that are custom made by hand one by one such as ours are going to have a different fit/finish and if construction quality is important this should be kept in mind when making price quality comparisons.

As ties that are not made one by one have lower construction costs and prices should reflect this.

I would assume this is a mock grenadine:
cufflinkspremier_2104_552238869

This one is from Robert Talbott and called a "grenadine." Paul Stuart's current grenadine ties are also of this type. Ike Behar, Ben Silver, and Henley & Sloane also sell these. PS and BS both used to sell proper grenadine ties.

OffTheRack

Reaction score
Has anyone ever received a Drake's grenadine that was significantly too long? I had trouble tying mine at the right length (I'm just slightly taller than average) the few times I wore it, and I thought it was just the nature of grenadine or something. But I finally realized that it was actually much longer than my other ties, including my other Drake's. It's supposed to be 147cm (just a little less than 58"), but I measured my grenadine as between 63/64". Nearly 6 inches too long.

Does Grenadine stretch? I hang it on a rack. Or is this just a defect (not what I would expect from Drake's)? And if so, do you think I could return it to Drake's to be fixed? I purchased it just over a year ago. Thoughts??

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by OffTheRack
Has anyone ever received a Drake's grenadine that was significantly too long? I had trouble tying mine at the right length (I'm just slightly taller than average) the few times I wore it, and I thought it was just the nature of grenadine or something. But I finally realized that it was actually much longer than my other ties, including my other Drake's. It's supposed to be 147cm (just a little less than 58"), but I measured my grenadine as between 63/64". Nearly 6 inches too long. Does Grenadine stretch? I hang it on a rack. Or is this just a defect (not what I would expect from Drake's)? And if so, do you think I could return it to Drake's to be fixed? I purchased it just over a year ago. Thoughts??
Off the Rack, Yes, as Apropos said grenadines can stretch. Hanging your grenadine should result in time of less than an inch in stretch. The stretch will mostly come from not being gentle when making your knot as well as frequently wearing your tie. Drakes uses beautiful grenadine silk so the silk in your tie is unlikely to be defective. With that said even with rough and frequent use you are unlikely to see any more than 2 inches of stretch. Without a doubt you should ask Drakes to remake your tie. They will probably not remake it instead they will hopefully give you a new tie. Correctly remaking a tie is more work than you might think.

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Many thanks! I will request that my tie be remade. It was a direct purchase.
Off the Rack, Sounds good let us know how it works out.

Coburn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt S
There are grenadines on eBay, you just didn't search hard enough. They are rarely listed as "grenadine" because so few people know what they are called. Here is a pink one from T&A:

True. A great many sellers don't recognize grenadine ties. Search ebay for key words like woven -- you will get grenadines.

OffTheRack

Reaction score
Off the Rack,

Sounds good let us know how it works out.

So I finally got around to contacting Drake's and sending my tie back. They acknowledged that it was definitely defective, and agreed to either refund my money or send me a replacement (I asked for a replacement). I should have it next week.

The service was incredible prompt and good natured. Which I found remarkable since I'd purchased the tie a year earlier. I will definitely keep doing business with Drakes. Nice folks.

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So I finally got around to contacting Drake's and sending my tie back. They acknowledged that it was definitely defective, and agreed to either refund my money or send me a replacement (I asked for a replacement). I should have it next week.

The service was incredible prompt and good natured. Which I found remarkable since I'd purchased the tie a year earlier. I will definitely keep doing business with Drakes. Nice folks.

Off The Rack,

Great news, Drakes is a good company and I was fairly certain that they would take care of your tie with a smile.

I heard a story in a TV documentary about an Australian company that had a pair of pants returned after 50 years and the owner replaced them without hesitation.

raybert

Reaction score
Off The Rack,

Great news, Drakes is a good company and I was fairly certain that they would take care of your tie with a smile.

I heard a story in a TV documentary about an Australian company that had a pair of pants returned after 50 years and the owner replaced them without hesitation.

I saw the documentary and that was Fletcher Jones.

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by raybert
I saw the documentary and that was Fletcher Jones.
Raybert, Exactly, thank you - I was trying to remember. Sort of a sad story how the son made a big tactical mistake and lost the company. But life is like that you have to take chances some times. In hind site it is easy to say what he should have done but not the same when you are there in teh pressure of the moment. On a lighter note I love Australian TV. I saw the program on while in Thailand on a cable TV channel. the nature shows are great and my kids like the children's shows.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads