• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for a new watch

kraftar

Reaction score
I've decided to spring for a nice watch... something in the $5,000 range. I want something that works, isn't flashy, and I don't really care about choosing a brand to impress people. Also, I'd prefer something new to a vintage watch. Right now I'm leaning towards a Grand Seiko
( http://www.azfinetime.com/Grand-Seik...eiko-Automatic )
but would be interested in other recommendations.

Also, I'm based in London... does anybody know what would be a good place to purchase one? And would I expect to pay the list price or are they typically discounted below that (and if so, what type of discount could I expect)?

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure I follow, you want a watch "that works" and "isn't flashy" but you want to spend around $5K.

The GS is a classic, but in that price range I'd lean toward something more substantial like an Omega AT. You can get a used Rolex Explorer, as well.

mrbig

Reaction score
I, too am looking for a new watch after 6 years with a Seamaster Professional.

I'd say:
Rolex Submariner 16610 (not ceramic bezel)
Omega Planet Ocean
Omega Speedmaster Professional
Omega Aqua Terra^
Rolex GMT with black bezel (not ceramic bezel)
Cartier Tank Americane (not sure on the price for this one)
A vintage Rolex Datejust

jsmaria

Reaction score
Given the look of the Seiko you linked, it looks like you are going for something more elegant and less sporty.

Might I suggest the Jaeger-LeCoultre Master Control Automatic?

It's slick and understated, dresses up and down well, is of a brand that watch guys love, but most people don't really know. Yet, everyone agrees it has style and substance, for around $4500 US.

I own this watch and love it. I have both a Rolex Sea-Dweller and a Panerai 351, but the JLC is what I put on with a suit, or night on the town.

More info:
( http://www.prestigetime.com/item/Jae...139.84.20.html )

justin

(my first post to SF!)

huy

Reaction score
Seiko
Blancpain
IWC
Glashutte Original
JLC
Zenith
Dornblueth & Sohn

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like IWC and Omega in this price range but haven't made the jump. If you are looking for simpler, elegent, then maybe this IWC Mark XVI.

3255-02_main.jpg

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by huy
Seiko - im not a fan at that price point
Blancpain - out of price range
IWC - great watches not many models in that price point though
Glashutte Original - out of price range
JLC - great watches not many models in that price point though
Zenith- great watches not many models in that price point though
Dornblueth & Sohn - dont know much about

elaborated.

im a rolex fan, i know others arent but its hard to argue with rolex. great quality control, manufacture movement, clean classic iconic look.

look around here www.prestigetime.com you can get a nice idea of whats out there and general price information. good luck.

also in todays market there is no reason to pat full mark up

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by in stitches
elaborated. im a rolex fan, i know others arent but its hard to argue with rolex. great quality control, manufacture movement, clean classic iconic look. look around here www.prestigetime.com you can get a nice idea of whats out there and general price information. good luck. also in todays market there is no reason to pat full mark up
Rolex def has its place in the watch world, and they should be congratulated on their achievements, **** I wish I could market a product like they do, I would be as rich as Crassus. While I am far from a Rolex fan, however I never understood the Rolex hate, they make classic watches with simple, yet rugged movements that have stood the test of time. If you want more complicated watches there are tons of other watch manufacturers out there.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Rolex def has its place in the watch world, and they should be congratulated on their achievements, **** I wish I could market a product like they do, I would be as rich as Crassus.

While I am far from a Rolex fan, however I never understood the Rolex hate, they make classic watches with simple, yet rugged movements that have stood the test of time. If you want more complicated watches there are tons of other watch manufacturers out there.

well said. btw there is a very nice article by watchtime magazine about how hans wildorf and his successors built the brand. if you go to the link below and search rolex brand or hans wildorf you should be able to find it if you like

http://www.watchtime.com/print-archive/

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads