• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for a half canvassed suit...

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm not sure if this is where I need to post this or not, I went through the search function trying to find if this question has already been asked, I did not find anything, although I'm sure it's been asked before.

I am looking for a good half canvassed suit that won't break the bank, I'd like to keep the cost under $500 for now if possible.
I like the fit of the jackets that Isaia (not ready to make that kind of investment yet) makes, but I don't want the pants to be slim fit as I like to have some room in the crotch if you know what I mean.

(For reference, I am 5'8" tall,168lbs, 33" waist, and built average, not huge chest or biceps, but not small)

I've posted a few photos of the kind of fit of the jacket that I am looking for.

Any recommendations you all could give based upon the qualifications laid out above, would be super helpful and appreciated!

Cheers all! :)
(btw Mods if this is not the right place for this post, please feel free to move it where it needs to go as this is my first post here)

9bd971f92504e9e7e19dfc9d49a816a0.jpeg

BgiFTqFIQAELsPW.jpeg

Reaction score
Have you looked at SuitSupply, Spier & Mackay or Cavour?

I have browsed SuitSupply as well as Spier & Mackay.

Most of the SS stuff looks like it fits tight in the pants.

Spier & Mackay has a really soft looking shoulder which I am not really a fan of.

I haven't heard of the other brand, I will check them out, thank you!

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cavour trousers are also cut slim.
For S&M they have an “English cut” that is more structured. Unfortunately at your price point, the style of suit you’re looking for is not currently in style.

Reaction score
Cavour trousers are also cut slim.
For S&M they have an “English cut” that is more structured. Unfortunately at your price point, the style of suit you’re looking for is not currently in style.
I see.
So would I be better served just to get some cheap suits from the mall until I can get the suits I want?

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm not sure if this is where I need to post this or not, I went through the search function trying to find if this question has already been asked, I did not find anything, although I'm sure it's been asked before.

I am looking for a good half canvassed suit that won't break the bank, I'd like to keep the cost under $500 for now if possible.
I like the fit of the jackets that Isaia (not ready to make that kind of investment yet) makes, but I don't want the pants to be slim fit as I like to have some room in the crotch if you know what I mean.

(For reference, I am 5'8" tall,168lbs, 33" waist, and built average, not huge chest or biceps, but not small)

I've posted a few photos of the kind of fit of the jacket that I am looking for.

Any recommendations you all could give based upon the qualifications laid out above, would be super helpful and appreciated!

Cheers all! :)
(btw Mods if this is not the right place for this post, please feel free to move it where it needs to go as this is my first post here)

View attachment 1750262

View attachment 1750263
Both of these examples are too tight. See middle button pulling.

archipel

Reaction score

I mean, the pictures you posted also look more on the tight side. You can also buy separate trousers or just let the trousers out if you think the fit is too tight. I also think in my experience the trousers are a bit less tight than the pictures.

This one looks like the one in your second picture: https://suitsupply.com/en-us/men/suits/mid-blue-stripe-lazio-suit/P6241I.html

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Spier & Mackay has a really soft looking shoulder which I am not really a fan of.

I haven't heard of the other brand, I will check them out, thank you!
If you don’t like soft shoulders would advise you to stay away from isaia.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see.
So would I be better served just to get some cheap suits from the mall until I can get the suits I want?
Finding a suit that fits you well off the rack always is going to involve some trial and error. If you have a physical SuitSupply store near you, I’d try that first. If that's not possible, I think they have a generous return policy so you could also order a couple of sizes online and return one or both. There usually isn’t much room on OTR trousers to let out, other than in the waist and some in the seat.
I do like the Spier and Mackay cut; the contemporary trousers are not too slim. They are far better than mall suits at a similar price point.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I mean, the pictures you posted also look more on the tight side. You can also buy separate trousers or just let the trousers out if you think the fit is too tight. I also think in my experience the trousers are a bit less tight than the pictures.

This one looks like the one in your second picture: https://suitsupply.com/en-us/men/suits/mid-blue-stripe-lazio-suit/P6241I.html
I agree the trousers in both the pictures I posted are what I would consider too tight for my liking, I was only referring to the fit of the jacket that I kinda like.
Thanks

Reaction score
If you don’t like soft shoulders would advise you to stay away from isaia.
Ok this is good to know as I am still new to the sartorial game.
I know I don't really like the super padded structured shoulder like Gieves And Hawkes does, but I also don't really like a soft shoulder either.
Somewhere in the middle is what I'm looking for.
Thanks

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok this is good to know as I am still new to the sartorial game.
I know I don't really like the super padded structured shoulder like Gieves And Hawkes does, but I also don't really like a soft shoulder either.
Somewhere in the middle is what I'm looking for.
Thanks
Given you mention you're new to tailoring - Have you had an opportunity to try or wear much yet? Something with no or minimal padding, something with medium padding and a slightly heavier canvas and something with a stronger shoulder?

Nothing wrong with liking or disliking a certain style if you've had a chance to try things on but there's no substitute for trying things on in real life if you haven't gotten to and might be worth doing if you're basing that off pictures of other people or assumptions or things you've heard.

If there's one near you SuitSupply should have a good mix of things with no padding, light padding, medium and a slightly stronger shoulder to knock out in one stop.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads