• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Living on a boat/yacht?

Gewehr

Reaction score
I've always thought of having a nice boat or yacht instead of a regular house to live in. However, most people laugh at this idea or say "oh cool", I'd like to live on it and spend the time in nice beaches, travel around the Cortez sea, etc. Imagine too, all the hawt chicks that would want a "free ride", all the traveling and joy of it.
This is all assuming I manage to work in the boat controlling my business trough internet mostly.

Any others who think this way?

Gewehr

Reaction score
Originally Posted by clotheshorse69
I once had a girlfriend who did this. It was more out of necessity than luxury.
I'd do it in a more luxury way I think.
I mean actually enjoying it, not because I can't afford a house.

mg428

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gewehr
I'd do it in a more luxury way I think.
I mean actually enjoying it, not because I can't afford a house.

As long as I will be happy in a tranquil environment, I am ready to embark, whether there is luxury or not. Let me know if you ever start such business and need someone to work.

Quite honestly your plan does not seem to be realistic. I know a guy who first set his own business, then run it for many years. After a certain point (when he was 50) he transferred the business to his relatives (in this case his daughter), and now he controls and supervises, in fact commands the business, via his blackberry. If anything ever happens to his daughter, I ensure you he will immediately leave his boat and return back to his job, unless he decides to completely retire.

I just could not envisage a type of business started in a boat right from the Internet and run from there with success for many many years, so that you can make your own living. Are you going to provide a service? Because after all you are not going to sell merchandise. For instance, if you are a decorator and provided with the specs of a room, you may give your opinion in return of cash (PayPal?). Many customers would want to personally deal with a decorator and want him to see the room in person. This would be true for many services indeed. I am really curious what type of service you would want to provide in your boat via the Internet?

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It can be done. I've read articles about guys who basically get paid to sail rich peoples yachts around the world for them.

For example, if some tycoon in New York wants to go sailing around the Mediterranean on his vacation, he will pay some guy to actually sail his yacht from the US to Greece and have it waiting for him when he gets there. It's basically a one-man job where you get yachts from Point A to Point B for people who are too rich/busy to do it themselves. It's like being a trucker... but with yachts.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doesn't sound that good to me- for one, your 'house' would always be rocking side to side, especially when it's windy outside. You wouldn't have a yard. You'd always be messing around with marinas and paying rent to them, and I'd at least have a feeling of being 'exposed' all the time if I was living on such a craft down at the docks. We have floating houses where I live and people always think it would be so cool to live in them, but once you're down there for a while people say you start to miss the feeling of having a solid home snuggled in some trees, rather than being fully open to the weather and water. I also wouldn't like the prospect of transatlantic crossing should I desire to go to the Mediterranean for the summer. I could be wrong though...

darkdream

Reaction score
Better be one hella nice yacht if you are living on it like in the many, many millions, but in that case you would probably already own quite a bit of property. Maintenance on decent sized yachts are costly and fuel adds up quickly.

mg428

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Svenn
Doesn't sound that good to me- for one, your 'house' would always be rocking side to side, especially when it's windy outside. You wouldn't have a yard. You'd always be messing around with marinas and paying rent to them, and I'd at least have a feeling of being 'exposed' all the time if I was living on such a craft down at the docks. We have floating houses where I live and people always think it would be so cool to live in them, but once you're down there for a while people say you start to miss the feeling of having a solid home snuggled in some trees, rather than being fully open to the weather and water. I also wouldn't like the prospect of transatlantic crossing should I desire to go to the Mediterranean for the summer. I could be wrong though...

I liked your avatar very much

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mg428
I liked your avatar very much

the first flag of the Continental Congress it is... to appease loyalists and Independence-seekers alike.

clotheshorse69

Reaction score
Originally Posted by darkdream
Better be one hella nice yacht if you are living on it like in the many, many millions, but in that case you would probably already own quite a bit of property. Maintenance on decent sized yachts are costly and fuel adds up quickly.

Why would it "need" to cost millions?
confused.gif

darkdream

Reaction score
Originally Posted by clotheshorse69
Why would it "need" to cost millions?
confused.gif

Have you been on ones the cost under 1 million. Sure it is fine for recreational means, but for living on a boat, it would be rather small and not very nice. Would be like living on a shack on the water.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd think you'll want it to be sized for living ... as opposed to sized for brief enjoyment.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Living in a house would be a fraction of the cost. Upkeep on big boats is usually around 10% of the purchase price, per year.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads