• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

List of True Premium Denim versus Premium Priced Denim

Brian SD

Reaction score
First off, DarknWorn, your avatar is the greatest contribution to the forum anyone has ever made. I congratulate you, and thank you. Secondly, 5EP needs to be added immediately.
laugh.gif
Other ones that should be on there: Crate, Rag&Bone

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
First off, DarknWorn, your avatar is the greatest contribution to the forum anyone has ever made. I congratulate you, and thank you.

Thanks...sniff...sniff...

First, I'd like to thank styleforum for allowing me to post.
Second, I'd like to thank Aureus for providing me the raw material for my art.
Third, I'd like to thank my mom.....arghhh, nm.... Thanks.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Thanks...sniff...sniff...

First, I'd like to thank styleforum for allowing me to post.
Second, I'd like to thank Aureus for providing me the raw material for my art.
Third, I'd like to thank my mom.....arghhh, nm.... Thanks.

You need to convert the clip to a gif though and use that instead. I'd say that within any thread you post thereafter, the average post length will be decreased by at least 79%
biggrin.gif

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
You need to convert the clip to a gif though and use that instead. I'd say that within any thread you post thereafter, the average post length will be decreased by at least 79%
biggrin.gif

I tried man, but the avatar still shows up inanimated.
mad.gif

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried man, but the avatar still shows up inanimated.
mad.gif

Strange; Nick M.'s avatar of a tie straightning Niccolo shows up...

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
Strange; Nick M.'s avatar of a tie straightning Niccolo shows up...

Ah, it was my fault. In any case, I can't reduce the file small enough to be within the 29kb limit.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah, it was my fault. In any case, I can't reduce the file small enough to be within the 29kb limit.

vadernooooo6gw.jpg

thisisme

Reaction score
I have a few pairs of Diesels from a few years ago. While I think they are high quality jeans in terms of construction and cut, you do run the risk of being mistaken for an AmJack everytime you wear them out at night.

true, although it depends what else you wear with it IE armani exchange or fcuk.......

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thisisme
true, although it depends what else you wear with it IE armani exchange or fcuk.......

Probably more likely to be Kenneth Cole but anyway. Check that Styleforum top ten denim thread for some more hints.

tweedlesinpink

Reaction score
Um, Diesel has good construction, good fit (for many many body types, since they have so many models!), a good range of washes, some way out there, others subtler and tasteful, and i say it's a brand that's got its basics down right and moved on to work on its image. Success in their case hasn't really signalled the end of quality.

horriblyjollyjinx

Reaction score
there are no brands outside of Japan that justify a $200+ price tag, in regards to quality. For around $100, buy APC, if you want to spend more, turn to Japan. SC 1947 cost $150 shipped from mil-mil.net.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by horriblyjollyjinx
there are no brands outside of Japan that justify a $200+ price tag, in regards to quality. For around $100, buy APC, if you want to spend more, turn to Japan. SC 1947 cost $150 shipped from mil-mil.net.

Actually, production costs pretty much never exceed $50 US, and that's if you use the best denim, the best construction methods, use the very best trims, produce in first world countries, and use the most intricate washes, and have low volumnes, so pretty much no jean justifies a $200 retail price.

So know that if you are buying "premium" denim, no matter how you define it, you are probably getting taken to the bank. Of course, some brands are "relatively" a better bang for your buck. But still, it's not like you are getting a bargain by buying Sugarcanes instead of Rag & Bone instead of 1921. It all really comes down to personal preference.

Some people like the cuts of more mainstream brands (many of which, frankly, fit the majority of people better than the repros), and some people like niche brands because of the superior denim, construction, whateve,,,.

It's that simple.

horriblyjollyjinx

Reaction score
When I am buying a product I am not paying for only the material and the labor, I am also paying for the costs of the manufacturers whole organisation. All parts of the organisation, like administration, are as important as the producing part.
There are many things that aren't directly related to the product that the manufacturer needs to pay for in order to have something produced.

I am also paying for the middleman, the store, to take the product to me.

I am not being ripped off if I buy $50 worth of material for $250 as there are immaterial things that cost money too.

Also, as long as I am making my purchase based on facts and not lies, I am never being ripped off since I agree to pay this price for this product. A mutual agreement can never result in one part being ripped off, as long as all parts have correct information.

Since this discussion is about which brands actually makes a, physically, quality product you can't argue that brands with 'good' design but lesser quality are also quality, as 'quality' has already been defined for this discussion.

In regards to what is available on the Swedish or American(disregarding 45rpm and the jeans at BIG) market a pair of SC 1947 for $150 or Samurai S5000VX for $250 are both amazing deals.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Every company has these costs though. Actually these costs are probably higher for highly marketed brands like True Religion or Seven for all Mankind than for, say, Eternal.

Raw materials (i.e the denim) is the least expensive part of the jeans. The relative difference in cost between a $2/yard and $8/yard denim and the quality of the trims is relatively small compared to, say, laundry costs. A 1-rinse is about a $1/piece wash, compared to intricate washes (say, those used by our favorite ***** brand, True Religion) which could be, say $14/piece.

So it might actually be more expensive to make and market a pair of True Religions than a pair of Sugarcanes.

Denim quality matters (in general) to denimheads. But let's not lose perspective here and say that Japanese repros are objectively a better deal than a "fashion" jean.

Originally Posted by horriblyjollyjinx
When I am buying a product I am not paying for only the material and the labor, I am also paying for the costs of the manufacturers whole organisation. All parts of the organisation, like administration, are as important as the producing part.
There are many things that aren't directly related to the product that the manufacturer needs to pay for in order to have something produced.

I am also paying for the middleman, the store, to take the product to me.

I am not being ripped off if I buy $50 worth of material for $250 as there are immaterial things that cost money too.

Also, as long as I am making my purchase based on facts and not lies, I am never being ripped off since I agree to pay this price for this product. A mutual agreement can never result in one part being ripped off, as long as all parts have correct information.

Since this discussion is about which brands actually makes a, physically, quality product you can't argue that brands with 'good' design but lesser quality are also quality, as 'quality' has already been defined for this discussion.

In regards to what is available on the Swedish or American(disregarding 45rpm and the jeans at BIG) market a pair of SC 1947 for $150 or Samurai S5000VX for $250 are both amazing deals.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads