• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lawyer: Build My Wardrobe

mispoke

Reaction score

Do you work on Bay, Roger? My brother-in-law is a lawyer at a pretty big firm near Old City Hall, and I believe it's fairly business-casual unless there's client meetings/court.

It's suits everyday, except for "casual" Friday, which at my firm, is still quite conservative (i.e., jeans are pushing it, unlike some other firms). Fascinating that New York firms are business casual.

Thanks for all the helpful replies. I see the Sam Hober recommendations. I was under the impression that ties (and belts?) were something that you could spend less on, and the difference in quality would not be immediately apparent. Am I wrong? Can efficiencies be found here? Or is Tie Bar a no go?

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's suits everyday, except for "casual" Friday, which at my firm, is still quite conservative (i.e., jeans are pushing it, unlike some other firms). Fascinating that New York firms are business casual.

Thanks for all the helpful replies. I see the Sam Hober recommendations. I was under the impression that ties (and belts?) were something that you could spend less on, and the difference in quality would not be immediately apparent. Am I wrong? Can efficiencies be found here? Or is Tie Bar a no go?

Remember that your dress code requirements will change over time.......they probably want you in suits be use you are junior. I've worked at some major NYC firms and partners can wear whatever they please, although they don't stray too far from the norm.

Do keep us posted on your purchases in this endeavor.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

If there is anywhere you're going to cut corners, it'd be the tie. Still, I think that, given your budget, you might as well purchase ties you'll be willing to wear throughout your career, as your tie rotation grows. And if you do want to cut corners, you could do a lot better than Tie Bar. Which is a no go.

mispoke

Reaction score

If there is anywhere you're going to cut corners, it'd be the tie. Still, I think that, given your budget, you might as well purchase ties you'll be willing to wear throughout your career, as your tie rotation grows. And if you do want to cut corners, you could do a lot better than Tie Bar. Which is a no go.

Thanks—I'll probably throw some Sam Hober into the mix and build in gradually. Any recommendations for ties at a more accessible price point, beyond Tie Bar?

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This might be boring, but I'd target Brooks Brothers during the frequent sales to stock up on their 2 for x suits, sportcoats, chinos, and 3 for x dress shirts.

For separate wool pants, I'd go with Howard Yount.

I tend to get my ties from random places --- lots of Drake's from forums from people who re-sell from sample sales, and Gilt, etc.

Socks - Pantherella from STP.

I'm in the medical field where people don't seem to care as much about how we dress, but for shoes, I have a bunch of AE/C&J for BB/Peal/RL.

Wrenkin

Reaction score
Try and get a Brooks Brothers corporate membership card. Wait for the corporate sale. Stack discount with multi-buys. Figure out your size and then buy things from the sale section of the website.

jvee

Reaction score
I'm in a similar position, trying to select a navy blazer. Deciding between these two --

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Fitzgerald-Fit-Two-Button-Classic-1818-Blazer/MM00308,default,pd.html

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Fitzgerald-Fit-Flannel-Two-Button-1818-Blazer/MD00066,default,pd.html

On the one hand, I think the darker navy is a bit more formal and will be more versatile. On the other, I'm concerned that if I wear it with mid-to-dark-gray trousers it will look like I'm trying to put together and oddly-matched suits. And I really like the color of the flannel.

Recommendations?

Testudo_Aubreii

Reaction score

I'm in a similar position, trying to select a navy blazer. Deciding between these two -- 

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Fitzgerald-Fit-Two-Button-Classic-1818-Blazer/MM00308,default,pd.html

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Fitzgerald-Fit-Flannel-Two-Button-1818-Blazer/MD00066,default,pd.html

On the one hand, I think the darker navy is a bit more formal and will be more versatile. On the other, I'm concerned that if I wear it with mid-to-dark-gray trousers it will look like I'm trying to put together and oddly-matched suits. And I really like the color of the flannel.

Recommendations?

I'd get the flannel. It's a nicer fabric and it's such a smooth flannel that it should be cool enough to wear except in summer. Instead of the Super 120s, I'd buy a proper sportcoat.

Mid-gray trousers are fine with a navy blazer, but dark gray don't look good.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dull and elegant.
Stay way from that Suit Supply stuff.
It is for low net worth posers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads